Topic Title: materially better cpu
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/03/2013 10:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2013 10:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I have been using this old Phenom II 965 C3 for quite a while. It has been dependable and reliable.

I have a socket AM3+ board so I can upgrade to whatever. Realistically I think that I would be spinning my wheels over a new CPU.

I would like AMD to perhaps put more effort into bottlenecks. L3 cache is all fine but the cores have to matter too. Too much to ask to fine tune the logic a bit more?

The latest model processors are such power pigs I would likely fry my regulators. Not what I would call EPA Energy Start 5 grade logic.

My Phenom power consumption at idle is excellent.

I like the idea of more compute for a watt of power.

-------------------------

12/03/2013 05:34 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Depending on what you use your PC for the Vishera FX series is a nice performance boost for many folks. They do draw more power than a PII but they also perform better in most applications.

Unfortunately AMD has completely abandoned socket AM3+ owners who expected Streamroller core CPUs to arrive by now. That will never happen which is unfortunate as the Steamroller cores are ~20% faster and consume less power - both steps in the right direction.

http://www.techpowerup.com/195355/vishera-end-of-the-line-for-amd-fx-cpus-roadmap.html

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/03/2013 11:17 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I was hopoing a Steamroller would surface as my CPU is a 2010 model and a new CPU made on 28 nm would likely perk up the rig nicely.

My Phenom is still strong enough to cope with the modern GTX 660 Ti fine and playing games cranked up is lots of fun.

Given DDR3 is still mainstream, AMD likely will find lots of buyers if the CPU is reasonably priced.

I suspect a trick like my Phenom II, it to support 2 memory standards. That would make the CPU even more viable spanning the move to DDR4 if it ever surfaces.

12/04/2013 09:10 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Unfortunately AMD doesn't seem to understand their installed desktop customer base or the PC enthusiasts market. Thus there will be no Steamroller AM3+ which would have been a nice step forward for AMD customers looking to get the best value from their socket AM3+ mobo purchase.

While most PC users will eventually end up with some form of AMD's APUs for a desktop PC, that day is a long ways off for most PC enthusiasts even though Kaveri is a nice performance bump over Richland.

As far as RAM is concerned DDR4 offers almost no advantage for desktop use so there is no need or desire to rush to DDR4 as the cost and change in topology are negatives. With DDR4 you must buy all the RAM in one lot. There is no adding to existing RAM like with other DDR RAM. DDR4 is primarily designed for servers but offers little for desktop use over DDR3.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/04/2013 09:27 AM

Author Icon
candle_86
Peon

yea given AMD's total abandonment of AM3+ and of the high end offering, when I do replace my 6300 my only real option is Intel. 

AMD FX6300 -- ASROCK 970 Extreme4 -- Diamond HD7790 -- 16gb Patriot DDR3 1600 -- 128gb Sandisk SSD -- 2tb WD Black

AMD Athlon 64 3200 -- MSI K8N Neo FSR -- Saphire X850Pro -- 2gb DDR400 -- Seagate 500GB

AMD Athlon XP 3200 -- ECS KT600A -- PNY Geforce 6600 -- 2gb DDR333 -- WD 80gb 

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 -- ECS 845GC -- Diamond 9700Pro -- 1gb DDR333 -- WD 80gb

12/04/2013 09:39 AM

Author Icon
parkerm35
Peon

I really am so upset about this, i know a lot of people state " you have left me with no choice but to switch to intel ", but i really think in this instance (if true) that many people, including myself, may end up in this boat. I don't even care if the get rid of the AM3+ chipset, i will quite happily buy an FM2+ if it means i can get an 8 core FX steamroller. Surely it can't cost that much money to remove the GPU, and copy and paste the dual module and add a little L3 cache. At least if they keep every chip on one chipset, it should save a lot of money on R&D. 

COME ON AMD, DON'T QUIT ON YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS!

EDIT: i joined this forum for this particular topic, as i had hoped to get some sort of answers from AMD, do they answer anything in these forums?

12/04/2013 11:29 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Yes it will be a sad day indeed...  I have not had an Intel CPU since Pentium II 500 on a 440BX (Slot 1) chipset!  But I don't see an option currently. 

At least I don't need to think about this for a long time since I am very happy with my current MB/CPU, but when that happiness runs out...

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

12/05/2013 09:48 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

AMD will eventually offer desktop CPUs on socket FM2+ but they won't be Steamroller core, more likely Excavator. That's years down the road however. In the meantime those of us with AM3+ platforms get shafted with no upgrade path.

I personally feel abandoned by AMD and I'm not happy about it at all after the many years of loyal support and money I have given them even when their products have not been the best performing. Even though Kaveri is a nice performance bump over Richland, AMD's current marketing program will cost them a lot of desktop CPU customers.

12/17/2013 08:11 AM

Author Icon
Moodtastic
Peon

What frustrates me about this fiasco is the real lack of confirmation that there will never be a new AM3+ CPU.

So I am stuck with my FX 6300 which performs well and probably has another 18 months of life but has no upgrade route (no point getting a FX 83xx).

From the little I know about Steamroller its performance gains would have likely made AMD competitive (price and performance wise) with current Intel solutions at the i5 and entry i7 level anyway.

Also with the continued rise of PC gaming (the only market desktop sales are growing) AMD could be well placed to sell some CPUs not to mention the idea of low cost Steam boxes that an FX would nicely fit into.

The APUs are just not a subsititute for the FX range in the above growing markets.

I think AMD have been listening to Intels marketing or something!

Unfortunately in 18 months I may well be buying an Intel

12/17/2013 10:40 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

My take is that AMD doesn't want to alienate it's existing AM3+ customer base by telling them the truth - AM3+ is dead. They are hoping to "win them over" with Kaveri and FM2+. By not being up front with AM3+ owners I believe AMD is really alienating them.

While there may be some more variants of Vishera, they will be marginal performance boosts because they still use the Piledriver cores instead of Steamroller cores. AM3+ is officially EOL Q1 of '15. I believe AMD made a huge marketing error by not releasing Steamroller core AM3+ CPUs which would carry them until '15 when hopefully they'll be able to offer an Excavator based CPU - but I would not hold my breath on AMD executing with Excavator in '15, let alone a desktop CPU... based on past performance or lack there of. If they do it will require a new socket and likely use FM2+ so AM3+ owners are still SOL.

Statistics
84848 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.