Topic Title: fx 8320 lower than expected score?
Topic Summary: my cpu seems to be getting 5.9 score on the windows test thing
Created On: 12/08/2013 04:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/08/2013 04:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
babonim
Peon

So I bought a new computer, well I bought the parts and built a new one.theh graphic card and the cpu, and mother board combo seemd very goodas you know my cpu is FX 8320my video card is radeon HD 7850and my mother board is a Asus M5a99FX pro R2.0but i seem to be getting simliar fps that i got form my old computer in all games.My old computer which had 2.8 ghz cpu compared to my new one with 3.5 ghz scored the same score on the windows cpu performance scorer. the score it self was 5.9Now im wondering if i did soemthing wrong on the install or is this really the right score can any one help?
 12/08/2013 07:26 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Don't pay attention to the WEI.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/08/2013 09:46 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The WEI score is for the LOWEST performing item in your system - typically the hard drive. You also need to clear the existing test data before re-running WEI or you'll get the same score regardless of changes.

The FX-8320 will run faster in some applications and about the same in other applications to an equal frequency PII CPU depending on how well the software is written. Some games will run up to 50% faster with an 8-core FX processor over the fastest PII CPU.

There are many variables involved including the drivers you are using and the operating system. Win 7 has a "fix" that results in an average of ~5% improvement for FX processors vs. when Win 7 was originally released. Win 8 is reported to provide another 5+% improvement over Win 7.

Those of us who have run PII and FX processors back-to-back can advise that there is a nice performance bump with the FX 8-core CPUs over the PII CPUs. How much boost in performance you get varies based on the O/S, drivers and software. Some Linux folks have reported a real nice boost with 8-core FX processors also.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
85410 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.