Topic Title: Brand new FX-4130 random reboots with bugcheck 0x124
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/09/2013 07:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/09/2013 07:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rr72
Peon

I recently upgraded a PC that is being used for general use and gaming. I chose an FX-4130 with retail heatsink and fan, paired with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0) motherboard, which supports this CPU, and 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 RAM. All of the above parts are brand new, and nothing is being overclocked. Other parts include an NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti 1GB video card and Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU, both of which have already been giving trouble-free service. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

All was going fine until I started getting random reboots at the oddest times -- not while running intensive 3D games or stress testing using Prime95 (stable in both cases), but while doing basic things like using Firefox normally. I could be scrolling or switching tabs and out of the blue, I'm back on the POST screen. Also, the application CoreTemp causes reboots consistently. After the PC reboots into Windows, I get a dialog saying a BSOD happened, always with the same bugcheck code of 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. While not frequent, these random reboots happen every few days.

I tested with different, known-good RAM. Still reproducible. I then tested with another known-good video card. Problem still there. I am hoping someone on the forums can point me in the right direction as to a cause and a solution.

I did find this support article and wonder if I'm experiencing the same issue, although I don't use Steam:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/STEAMGamesonAMDFXplatforms.aspx

It suggests upgrading your motherboard's BIOS to the latest available. Unfortunately, I am already running the latest BIOS version for my board (FA), and am still experiencing the issue.

-------------------------

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0, BIOS v.FA) / AMD FX-4130 / 8GB (2x4GB) G.SKILL Sniper DDR3-1600 / NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti 1GB / Seagate 250GB SATA / WD 500GB SATA / HGST 1TB SATA / Antec EarthWatts 650W / Antec Three Hundred Tower / Windows 7 Home Premium x64

12/09/2013 10:03 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Look here

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/09/2013 10:13 PM

Author Icon
rr72
Peon

I've already seen this troubleshooting page. In response:

1) None of the hardware components are overclocked.

2) The machine is adequately cooled. The CPU idles in the high 20s C and gets no hotter than 42 C during heavy usage, ruling out temperature as an issue.

3) All hardware drivers are up to date.

4) BIOS is the latest available version.

5) A Windows "false positive" doesn't seem likely, especially given the frequency of the problem.

6) Hardware has been stress tested and passed.

7) Windows has been reinstalled to no avail.

8) Inside of PC is clean and all hardware components and power connections have been reseated.

9) Known-good RAM and another known-good video card were tested. Problem still occurred.

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0, BIOS v.FA) / AMD FX-4130 / 8GB (2x4GB) G.SKILL Sniper DDR3-1600 / NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti 1GB / Seagate 250GB SATA / WD 500GB SATA / HGST 1TB SATA / Antec EarthWatts 650W / Antec Three Hundred Tower / Windows 7 Home Premium x64

12/09/2013 11:59 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Unfortunately these error messages are rarely ever very accurate and they can be generated by countless problems, IME.

The fact that Core Temp causes constant reboots suggests that it did not install properly. I have seen this problem with Core Temp and it will cause random crashes as it tries to access data from the CPU. I'd suggest removing Core Temp and all associated fills because just uninstalling it usually leaves some files behind. Then I'd run your PC for awhile and see if the problem is still there.

I use Core Temp on all of my PCs without issue but I have in fact on rare occasion had it mis-install and cause issues. It's also possible to get some malware from some of the download websites for these types of apps.

I always like to run Memtest86+ V4.20 or V5.x overnight just to see if the RAM turns up a rare problem. I have had RAM that was good 95% of the time but when I tested it for 8+ hours it would always fail. After replacing it, no more issues.

Since your problem doesn't seem to be load induced it's probably not temp related, but a RAM socket that is partially damaged could cause an issue. A CPU that needs to be reseated or that has conductive TIM that dripped over the edge could cause a random issue. A bad cable connection anywhere on the mobo/Vid card could be a source for the problem.

These problems can be a real PITA to find but if you are patient and methodical, you can usually find and correct whatever the issue might be. There is rarely a quick fix for this type of issue - until you find the source of the problem.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/10/2013 09:57 AM

Author Icon
rr72
Peon

I did in fact uninstall CoreTemp. That was followed shortly after by a reinstall of Windows. The problem remained, but has only been seen when using Firefox. 3D games, Prime95, IntelBurnTest.. all fine.

I have been building systems for almost two decades and have never seen this problem before. The CPU was carefully and correctly installed -- no pin damage, no dust or other foreign objects between CPU and cooler, no spillover of TIM. RAM tests fine.

The reason I brought up the Steam KB article is because other users are getting this same 0x124 bugcheck when attempting to run certain Steam games on Bulldozer chips.. my problem only happens (so far) when browsing in Firefox.

12/10/2013 01:10 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

When problems only exist in one program it's usually the program or drivers. Have you contacted Firefox or AMD tech support to see if either has firsthand experience with this specific issue?

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/11/2013 07:08 PM

Author Icon
rr72
Peon

I've tried to reach AMD tech support a few times but end up sitting on hold for half an hour before finally hanging up. I'm open to RMAing the CPU but only as a last resort.

Haven't contacted Mozilla as I don't think it would be of much help. Also, the error isn't limited to a single program -- CoreTemp displays the same behavior, though it's consistent, not random.

12/11/2013 11:48 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

IME AMD tech support typically responds in a couple days via e-mail. Customer SUpport is WOEFULLY LACKING at AMD and I hope it eventually improves or they will continue to lose more customers.

The fact that the problem consistently happens in Core Temp suggests to me that there is some conflict with trying to access data from the CPU. This could be a driver conflict, a software issue, or many other possibilities unfortunately.

12/12/2013 12:10 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

What version of Core Temp are you using? I had problems with Core Temp RC5 crashing my computer last spring. The author of Core Temp acknowleded the problem and sent me a post RC5 build to tide me over until the next update. The problem was fixed when Core Temp RC6 came out a couple months ago.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

12/12/2013 05:27 PM

Author Icon
rr72
Peon

Good call, MisterEd. Interestingly it was in fact RC5, even though RC6 was the latest version at the time. I opted out of the adware installer and for some reason the standard installer it gave me was still RC5.

I grabbed RC6 and no more reboots.

That still leaves Firefox though.. I see you have an FX processor as well, though it's the improved Piledriver architecture. Did you ever experience reboots/BSODs in any other program besides CoreTemp?

12/22/2013 07:20 PM

Author Icon
rr72
Peon

Resolved. Interestingly, the Firefox BSODs were being caused by the NVIDIA video card driver I was using (331.82 WHQL). I found this thread, which describes the problem: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus-updated-for-nb-12-5-13-page79-/1. Apparently only 400 and 500 series NVIDIA cards are affected. I upgraded to the 331.93 Beta driver, which has a fix rolled in, and the BSODs disappeared.

12/22/2013 11:09 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Glad that you found the issue. It's rarely ever the CPU and more often drivers or apps.

Statistics
85439 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.