Topic Title: FX 8150 temp increases when idle
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/12/2013 09:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/12/2013 09:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
aschneider
Peon

Greetings.

A Noctua NH-D14 keeps its temp to 40 grades, but as soon as I leave my PC for five minutes, the temp increases to 65 grades. Confirmed in the 100% of the cases.

Any idea on why this could be happening ?

12/12/2013 12:43 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It could be the CPU fan slowing during an idle state or some increase in CPU load from back ground operations such as anti-virus or other software that uses idle time to scan or check for updates, etc.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/12/2013 12:50 PM

Author Icon
aschneider
Peon

I already tested with the stock fan and still happens.

This is a highly optimized machine, whith no networking services, no cron tabs, no scheduled tasks, or related. 

The issue is present both in Arch Linux and Windows 8. Both 64 Bit.

12/12/2013 03:40 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I wasn't referring to an issue with the heat sink fan. What I meant was the CPU has various thermal states and the CPU fan speed changes as a result of the physical and thermal loads it senses based on how it's programmed in both the BIOS and internally in the CPU. If your CPU fan speed in the BIOS isn't set to 100% for the fan then it's possible for the fan speed to become too slow for the idle load temp and the CPU temp will climb. Then the CPU would sense this and cycle the fan to a higher speed to cool the CPU down.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
81003 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.