Topic Title: Need file AmdK8.sys
Topic Summary: Where to find this file?
Created On: 12/20/2013 07:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/20/2013 07:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
deaftom
Peon

My old HP desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 3700+, running Windows XP, which has been relegated to supporting my workshop, recently had a major Windows crash that required me to reinstall Windows.

I've successfully restored the system, except that now, every time I boot it, I get a notice that the system cannot find a file called "AmdK8.sys" and warns me of possible dire consequences if this file is not provided and used.

AmdK8.sys does not exist on my hard drive or anywhere else that I can find. It also seems not to be available from AMD Support and Downloads. Indeed, I cannot find "AmdK8.sys", or any reference to it, anywhere on the AMD website.

Where can I get this file to finish restoring my system and make it happy and more stable?

12/20/2013 10:39 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I'm guessing... and it's only a guess, that this might be an AMD CPU driver for the mobo. Due to the slight x86 architecture differences between Intel and AMD processors the mobo may require a special AMD driver file for optimal performance.

HP might have this on their website or be able to tell you if in fact that's what it is and where it can be downloaded, though HP tech isn't that good IME. Your PC may run just fine without it but it might run better with it??? It's difficult to say without knowing all the details.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/20/2013 11:34 PM

Author Icon
deaftom
Peon

Thanks, AMDforMe! Your mention of trying the HP website gave me a valuable clue. Eventually, I found that despite the "Amd" in the file name, it's actually a Microsoft file and is available from Microsoft and some third-party sites.

To the rest of you, as the late Gilda Ratner used to say on "Saturday Night Live": "Never mind."

12/20/2013 11:38 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

This is the best I can find on this.

Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions.

AMD K8 Processor Driver 1.3.2.0053 WHQL

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

Edited: 12/20/2013 at 11:44 PM by WMudrockJr
 12/21/2013 02:09 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

deaftom-

Glad to help. It's always a challenge trying to find obscure files/drivers and error messages.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
85573 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.