Topic Title: amd fx 6350 and XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/21/2013 07:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/21/2013 07:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
fyodorg
Peon

hello. Have a problem with the FX-6350 processor. With an installed windows XP, there are problems with the sound (increased latency when playing audio , expressed as a periodic audio distortion), and watching the video in flash player full screen (not included hardware acceleration, pixelated picture). The dependence of these problems from the processor found in the rest of the almost-constant hardware processor changed the old-everything is normal.on windows 7 and ubuntu also all right

12/21/2013 12:55 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

I don't think the cpu has anything to do with software problems on XP and.. XP is old and dead, stay on W7!

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 12/21/2013 04:37 PM

Author Icon
fyodorg
Peon

I thought so too, until changed everything except the processor.
XP is more convenient for me to work, there is no extra "special effects" and other debris.
Even if we assume that "windows 7 rulez" why percent can not work properly with an older system?

12/21/2013 11:12 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Aside from the fact that Windows XP is dead in 4 months, and there is no "other debris" unless you run some antiquated 1.8ghz single core 512MB RAM system?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/22/2013 01:24 AM

Author Icon
fyodorg
Peon

I do not fancy convenient interface windows 7, and its standard explorer. I do not want to argue about the choice of OS, I just want my $ 170 processor work with any OS without bugs.

12/22/2013 01:00 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

XP was released long before the FX processors and it does not have the optimal coding for the newer FX CPUs. Even Win7 needed an update to provide the best FX performance though it worked with the FX processors as released.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU but you may need to find - if they exist... patches to use the FX processor optimally with a very old O/S. Newer hardware drivers might help also resolve your issues but there is no guarantee.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/22/2013 01:04 PM

Author Icon
fyodorg
Peon

AMDforMe, thanks for the answer.

Where or who need to learn about these drivers or patches?

12/22/2013 11:16 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

As I said... "IF these patches exist".

I don't know if Microsoft or anyone else has created patches to help with XP and FX processors because most people with newer CPUs are not using XP. All that you can do is search the Windows XP knowledgebase, pose you question on the XP forums, etc. You should also be certain that you are using the latest hardware drivers as this may be the issue and solution?

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/23/2013 12:10 PM

Author Icon
fyodorg
Peon

AMDforMe, Yes, i'm using the latest drivers. "tests" conducted on 2 board-Asus motherboards with VIA controller, and gigabyte with Realtek.  about flash player does not know what to think.

The manufacturer's website does not say about the compatibility of a particular processor and OS, unfortunately, I missed this information.
 03/22/2014 03:13 PM

Author Icon
dmcturnan
Peon

The Tom's Hardware website commented that the lower-than-expected performance in multi-threaded workloads may be because of the way Windows 7 currently schedules threads to the cores. They point out that "if Windows were able to utilize an FX-8150's four modules first, and then backfill each module's second core, it'd maximize performance with up to four threads running concurrently." This is similar to what happens on Intel CPUs with HyperThreading – Windows 7 "schedules to physical cores before utilizing logical (HyperThreaded) cores

What it is and how it actually works in windows are two different things. It works like hyperthreading just like I said.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(microarchitecture)
    the way i understand it is that its the same for the 6350's too. does anyone know if microsoft will make some sort of update to utilize the full potential of the cpu's?    

03/22/2014 08:48 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Yes it's known and acknowledged that Windows does not properly feed AMD CPU cores well. The only patch that I am aware of to improve the performance minutely as in an average of 5%, is for Win 7 only.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

Win 8 supposedly has a slightly better scheduling technique than the Win 7 patch. There is nothing for XP AFAIK. Microsucks has officially abandoned XP so there isn't going to be any further support for XP.

Statistics
84862 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.