Topic Title: FX 8350
Topic Summary: Not able to post
Created On: 12/28/2013 03:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/28/2013 03:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
magusbob
Peon

To start, I currently have a Phenom II x4 955BE installed in my system. I recently purchased the FX 8350 and the motherboard will not POST and only displays FF on the display when the FX 8350 is installed.

I have contacted MSI support, done lots of troubleshooting, and was told to verify the CPU. I'm not exactly sure what that means, when I asked them they said to call AMD and verify the CPU. Support # is closed until the 2nd so was hoping to get some help on this here.

System

MSI 890FXA-GD70

Phenom II x4 955BE (until the FX 8350 works)

16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (4x4GB) DDR3 1600

EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti

SAMSUNG 840 Series 250GB SSD

12/28/2013 03:29 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Assuming that MSI shows that it supports the FX-8350 on your specific model mobo - which you should be able to determine from the MSI website, then I'm guessing that you might need a mobo BIOS update to recognize the FX-8350 and newer CPUs. Not all FX model CPUs are supported on all AM3+ mobos as the 8-core CPUs require a high quality VRM circuit with good cooling. Many AM3+ mobos do not have a VRM design sufficient to handle the 8-core FX CPUs.

Go to the MSI website and follow the instructions on how to update your BIOS with your PII CPU installed. After the BIOS update is completed, clear the CMOS with the PC shut off, then switch CPUs to the FX-8350 and reboot.

If you are using Windows then you may also need to do a Windows patch for the FX series AMD CPUs depending on what O/S you are using and when it was released.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/28/2013 03:37 PM

Author Icon
magusbob
Peon

I apologize for leaving out that information. MSI does show my board as being supported with this processor here. http://us.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD70.html#?div=CPUSupport

I have tried with the official 1.15 BIOS that it shows is needed. With no luck using 1.15, I went to their forums and got their latest Beta BIOS which is A7640AMS.1G1 from here https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162243.msg1190984

I am on Windows 8.1 fully updated.

12/28/2013 04:06 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Have you tried the PII CPU with the both new BIOS to confirm the BIOS are good? (Perhaps that's the system that you are using to post here???)

If the PII does not work with the new BIOS then maybe you missed re-connecting a 12v Vid cable or something like that? If the PII works OK with the new BIOS then you might be stuck waiting for MSI tech support as it sounds like a mobo issue to me.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/28/2013 04:16 PM

Author Icon
magusbob
Peon

Yes the new BIOS works fine with the PII CPU (Yup, that's what I'm using to post this).

I came here as MSI has and still is of no help. I submitted a support ticket with them, all troubleshooting I have tried, my system specs, my BIOS version and got a response back telling me to be sure I have the latest BIOS installed and to verify the CPU. I responded back that I have tried the official latest BIOS and the Beta BIOS with no success using the FX8350. The response back was "verify the cpu then". I asked how to verify the CPU, they responded "by contacting the processor manufacturer, AMD".

I have not gotten any further replies from them, aside from verify the processor. From my best guesses, I think they mean test it in another system to verify the processor is not dead, but they said to call AMD which is closed until Jan 2nd, and I do not have another system that would support the FX8350 chip.

Do you think it's best to just RMA the CPU and hope the next one works, if it doesn't RMA mobo and go from there? 

Another small tidbit of information, I just received this refurbished motherboard from MSI after my last one suffered from a bad flash using MSI live update tool. 

12/28/2013 05:44 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

On the board, which LED does it stop on when you have the 8350 in? Also are all power connectors on, and have you verified you didn't knock a jumper off when you swapped in the 8350. Those things seem to be cause the most FF errors judging by other people's issues.

Just a point of interest, you're not going to notice a huge difference, if any, between the 955 and 8350, in real world scenarios with that video card.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/28/2013 05:59 PM

Author Icon
magusbob
Peon

With the 8350 installed, and the computer is powered on, it displays FF, then begins to flash shortly after. It has not done anymore than that whatsoever. Whether I leave it on for 30mins or turn it off and back on multiple times. 

Also I have swapped between the two processors at least 30 times. Been trying to make it work for approx 15hours + so far.

I've given up for now and RMA'd the CPU. The new one should arrive Jan 2nd.

Too add about your point of interest, I run a lot of VMs, my computer also doubles as a media server for my home, and I play quite a few games, so I'm sure I'll notice a difference. (Also GFX card will be the next item upgraded eventually)

*Edit*

I'm also RMAing the motherboard per MSI's instructions, because I've just noticed the analog audio ports do not work. I just received the refurb'd board yesterday evening and had not noticed not having any sound since I was not using the computer, and instead trying to get the 8350 to post.

After using the computer with the quad installed for a few hours now, the audio is the only issue I've run into so far. So hoping after the RMA of the two products, that I receive a combination that will work correctly.

Edited: 12/28/2013 at 08:04 PM by magusbob
 12/28/2013 08:25 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I highly doubt it's the CPU unless it was obviously physically damaged when you took it out of the box. The CPUs are 100% tested before boxing so it would be extremely rare for the CPU to be bad.

The mobo however does sound like a problem...especially a refurbished replacement. There's a reason why it was "refurbished" and they may not have fixed all that was actually wrong with it?

As far as performance the FX-8350 has a lot more performance over the PII 955BE in my firsthand experience with both.

Statistics
85509 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.