Topic Title: AMD 8320 overheating very fast
Topic Summary: AMD 8320 overheating for no reason
Created On: 01/10/2014 09:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/10/2014 09:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chaospinhead
Peon

I've had this PC build for about 9 months now with no problems at all!  Then 2 days ago it shut off overnight so I took it to work and pulled it apart changed a couple fans that weren't working well and seemed to be ok.  Then tonight it shut off again.  I turned it back on and within 5 minutes off again.  I rebooted and went into bios and cpu temp is at 90 degrees C!!!  I took the cpu heatsink off, reseated the cpu, cleaned both off and put more thermal paste on and reapplied the heat sync.  Turned it back on it started at 65 and was at 90 within a minute and a half and powered off again.  I don't understand what is going on or what can be causing this.  Core V in bios is showing at 1.2xx-1.35xx fluctuating back and fourth.  System temp is showing 25 deg ce steady.  Soon as I turn it on it just goes up until it shuts off.    

Edit: 

I may have been mistaken. I'm pretty new to temps and voltages.  It would appear my MB was not reading the temps correctly or something.  I booted into Windows and downloaded Core Temp and it is reporting my PC at Idle with nothing running around 25-30C, playing a browser game it gets up around 55C sometimes as high as 60.  I am only using Radioshack heat compound and will be ordering some Arctic Silver soon to see if that helps.

Core Temp is reporting that my VID is 1.4125 and I thought I read somewhere else on here that it should not be at 1.4V?  Any input or suggestions for me are appreciated!

Guess I'm ok for now.  Just worried that it shut down 4 times tonight...

-------------------------

ChaosPinhead

Edited: 01/10/2014 at 10:24 PM by chaospinhead
 01/10/2014 10:35 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

It sounds like your mobo is over-volting the CPU as 1.4v is definitely too high for a FX-8320 even under full load. See what CPU-Z shows for vcore voltage. You should be in the 1.32v range or less based on my experience.

Core temps below 61C under full load stress testing are fine. Anything higher requires a better cooler. Arctic Silver or other quality TIMs are good for a few degrees C over Radio Shack TIM. Numerous tests have shown there is no big diff between the top ~25 TIMS so use whatever makes you happy as 1-2C isn't usually a deal breaker on CPU performance. Arctic Silver products are excellent IME.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

01/10/2014 10:58 PM

Author Icon
chaospinhead
Peon

1.380 is what cpuZ is reporting while playing a browser game...while idle it sits at .900

What would you recommend for a good cpu cooler?  I've pretty much only ever used stock.

ChaosPinhead

01/10/2014 11:12 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Do this, disable the thermal shutdown in BIOS, and run Prime95 with 4 (not 8) threads with Small FFT, and see it it causes an error. I suspect it may be a faulty thermal sensor, thought it could also be a faulty power supply.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/11/2014 12:16 PM

Author Icon
chaospinhead
Peon

It just shut down again as soon as I tried to play an actual game today.  Rebooted and immediately core temp was reporting my cpu at 75-80C.  It seems to idle fine at 30-40 if I'm not doing anything, but as soon as I do something like a game it just skyrockets and dies.

ChaosPinhead

01/11/2014 01:12 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

If the heatsink is properly mounted and the fan running at any reasonable speed the CPU should not skyrocket to 75-80C as soon as you place a load on it. It's possible the CPU has gone bad but it acts like the heatsink is not properly contacting the CPU heat spreader. 1.38v also seems a little high for an FX-8320 default vcore.

Check the fan speed to see if it's changing with thermal load and that it is running at high rpm when the temps are climbing. You should be able to hear it speed up and it should be running at full speed which could be 4,000-5,000 rpm when the temps are above 50C. You might also want to see if you can touch the side of the HSF when under load to see if it is hot. Be careful not to burn your finger.

If the HSF is not hot but the CPU is then something is amiss in the mounting. When you remove the HSF you should have a very thin, even layer of TIM where the HSF contacts the CPU heat spreader. Ideally you should have bare spots where metal-to-metal contact of the CPU and HSF occur. If not then the HSF is not contacting the CPU heat spreader properly.

The stock cooler if properly mounted and fucntioning should prevent overheating unless your room temp is above 90F constantly or you have PC case airflow issues where the hot air is not being evacualted from the case and cool air allowed to enter. The OE fan should be running at high speed most of the time when under load as the 8-core CPUs produce a lot of heat.

As far as a good HSF there are many depending on your needs, desires and budget. The link below has an excellent database of HSF performance tested under proper lab conditons and methodology. For serious cooling I recommend the Xigmatek Aigir SD128264 but there are many options.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2572

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

01/11/2014 04:24 PM

Author Icon
chaospinhead
Peon

Im running Prime95 right now on small test 4 threads.  I also replaced my heatsink assembly with another identical one, reapplied paste and tried to make it as snug and perfect as possible.  It's running according to Core Temp at 53C under load.  Problem is when I load a game, I cant see Core Temp anymore so if it shuts off I have no idea.

I also noticed something strange.  In the BIOS I noticed that Temp Shutdown is disabled...so...the bios shouldnt even be shutting the PC down should it!??  My VID is at 1.3375/1.4125 it just bounces back and fourth between those two during the test.  Is there something I should adjust?  My MB is a Biostar A970XE

ChaosPinhead

01/11/2014 05:49 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Overclocker

Originally posted by: chaospinhead ....

Core Temp is reporting that my VID is 1.4125 and I thought I read somewhere else on here that it should not be at 1.4V?  Any input or suggestions for me are appreciated!

Mine is currently 1.36V while 40% load - sounds like you gotta voltage or overclock problem.

GA 990FXA-UD3v4
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1866 HyperX Fury
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
1x SSHD ST1000DX001/ 1x SATA3 WD Blue/ 1x STBV2000300
SeaSonic 650W
Win7x64

01/12/2014 02:33 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Originally posted by: chaospinhead Im running Prime95 right now on small test 4 threads.  I also replaced my heatsink assembly with another identical one, reapplied paste and tried to make it as snug and perfect as possible.  It's running according to Core Temp at 53C under load.  Problem is when I load a game, I cant see Core Temp anymore so if it shuts off I have no idea.

I also noticed something strange.  In the BIOS I noticed that Temp Shutdown is disabled...so...the bios shouldnt even be shutting the PC down should it!??  My VID is at 1.3375/1.4125 it just bounces back and fourth between those two during the test.  Is there something I should adjust?  My MB is a Biostar A970XE

Your mobo may be going flaky? You can manually set the vcore to ~1.35v and try it to see what happens. That should be enough voltage for your CPU to function without crashing at the default frequency range. I believe that you can also run OCCT in the back ground while playing games and it will record the temps and voltages for you to view after you play a video game for awhile - assuming your system doesn't just shut-off as it's been doing.

If your mobo has a Line load Control, (LLC) function you could try adjusting it so it keeps the vcore voltage as close as possible to what you set it manually.

Statistics
88757 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.