Topic Title: COOLING FOR FX 9590
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/12/2014 03:21 PM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/12/2014 03:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cumbress
Peon

Posts: 6
Joined: 01/12/2014

I have been updated my old computer.I bought Sabertooth 990 R2 and a 1000W PSU with 2 7870 crossfired. But i'm still using a old Phenom II X4 955 and i want to update to FX 9590 (i've been saving some bucks). 

My cooling system is a Corsair H70core and keeps my old Phenom II X4 955 cool, but ... Would it be sufficient for a new FX 9590? 

 

Thanks from AMD fan!

 01/12/2014 03:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Posts: 13080
Joined: 04/17/2008

Yes, but save yourself some money and get an 8350 instead. It's $100 cheaper and can hit the 4.7ghz the 9590 can with little to no voltage increases.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/12/2014 03:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cumbress
Peon

Posts: 6
Joined: 01/12/2014

But FX 9590 is a 220W ... how does the Corsair H70 core perform ?... Sure?

Is better than your H60 or not? What about your working temps?

 01/12/2014 04:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Posts: 675
Joined: 09/08/2013

None of the Corsair Hxx models are very good coolers as extensive testing by many sites have documented. The absolute minimal Corsair H2O cooler that I would recommend for an 8-core FX CPU is the H100i. It will probably just be enough for the FX-9590 with little margin when your CPU is 100% loaded such as in stress testing, P95, serious encoding or long video game play. The Swiftech 220 would be better based on test results.

Most people don't realize how thermally inefficient the Closed Loop Coolers, (CLCs) are until they spend their money and see the end result. A PII processor has a much lower thermal load compared to an 8-core FX processor, especially the FX-9000 series which are just factory overclocked FX-8350 CPUs. The really bad issue with CLCs or H2O cooling is the system damage that occurs when they leak - and they do leak sooner or later.

As far as the FX-8350 vs. the FX-9590, I agree that the FX-8350 is the better CPU if you have the expertise to do simple overclocking. If not then you can buy the FX-9590 but you must use it on an AM3+ mobo that specifically supports the FX-9000 series CPUs. There are only a handful of mobos that properly support the FX-9000 series.

Asus says that your mobo can run the FX-9000 model CPUs if you use the proper BIOS and cooling. The H70 is no where near enough cooler for the FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs.



-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.


 

 01/12/2014 05:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cumbress
Peon

Posts: 6
Joined: 01/12/2014

Originally posted by: AMDforMe None of the Corsair Hxx models are very good coolers as extensive testing by many sites have documented. The absolute minimal Corsair H2O cooler that I would recommend for an 8-core FX CPU is the H100i. It will probably just be enough for the FX-9590 with little margin when your CPU is 100% loaded such as in stress testing, P95, serious encoding or long video game play. The Swiftech 220 would be better based on test results.

 

Most people don't realize how thermally inefficient the Closed Loop Coolers, (CLCs) are until they spend their money and see the end result. A PII processor has a much lower thermal load compared to an 8-core FX processor, especially the FX-9000 series which are just factory overclocked FX-8350 CPUs. The really bad issue with CLCs or H2O cooling is the system damage that occurs when they leak - and they do leak sooner or later.

 

As far as the FX-8350 vs. the FX-9590, I agree that the FX-8350 is the better CPU if you have the expertise to do simple overclocking. If not then you can buy the FX-9590 but you must use it on an AM3+ mobo that specifically supports the FX-9000 series CPUs. There are only a handful of mobos that properly support the FX-9000 series.

 

Asus says that your mobo can run the FX-9000 model CPUs if you use the proper BIOS and cooling. The H70 is no where near enough cooler for the FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs.

 

 

Can i use my Corsair H70 core on a single FX 8350 at 4 Ghz (not overclocked)? ...

... It performs superb on my old phenom II X4 955 overclocked at 3.8 Ghz ... max temp at full load 60ºC ... idle 38º (temp amb 25ºC) 

The max TDP of FX 8350 is the same or less than Phenom II X4 955 overclocked (aprox 130 W).  I reckon that Corsair H70 core would be more than enough on a FX 8350 non overclocked. 

What is the maximum safe temperature of FX 8350 at full load ? 60ºC? 70ºC?

 

PD : My old Phenom II X4 955 BE was working at 75º C for 24/7 during a year stable ... and it is still doing fine in the new mobo but at 33ºC ...



Edited: 01/12/2014 at 05:59 PM by Cumbress
 01/12/2014 06:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Posts: 13080
Joined: 04/17/2008

I use my H60 with two fans in push/pull on my 8350 on my FX-8350 at 4.6GHz and it only hits 55°C in Prime95.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/12/2014 07:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Cumbress
Peon

Posts: 6
Joined: 01/12/2014

Originally posted by: black_zion I use my H60 with two fans in push/pull on my 8350 on my FX-8350 at 4.6GHz and it only hits 55°C in Prime95.

 

I think i will go for a FX8350 and try to overclock it with the sabertooth 990FX R2.

 01/13/2014 09:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Posts: 675
Joined: 09/08/2013

Can i use my Corsair H70 core on a single FX 8350 at 4 Ghz (not overclocked)? ...

... It performs superb on my old phenom II X4 955 overclocked at 3.8 Ghz ... max temp at full load 60ºC ... idle 38º (temp amb 25ºC) 

The max TDP of FX 8350 is the same or less than Phenom II X4 955 overclocked (aprox 130 W).  I reckon that Corsair H70 core would be more than enough on a FX 8350 non overclocked. 

What is the maximum safe temperature of FX 8350 at full load ? 60ºC? 70ºC?

 

PD : My old Phenom II X4 955 BE was working at 75º C for 24/7 during a year stable ... and it is still doing fine in the new mobo but at 33ºC ...

The TDP is the same 125w but the 8-core CPU still consumes more total power. TDP is total design power, not total power consumed.

The H70 might work depending on how hard you run your PC. Since you have it you could try it without a cost issue. I don't recommend any Corsair H series or similar CLCs because of the inferior thermal properties and undeniable water leak liability compared to a highend HSF. Since you have it, you might as well try it. You can always change to a better cooler if you need it and you might.

The max 24/7 FX-8000 series core temp is 61C. You will likely see issues in the mid 60's and the CPU is throttled at 70C so you definitely don't want to be much if at all above 61C for system reliability reasons.



-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.


 

 01/13/2014 11:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
candle_86
Peon

Posts: 34
Joined: 12/03/2009

Ok the CLC don't leak unless you damage them somehow, and a custom loop if properly built will only not leak but be alot more efficent than a HSF. Its all in how you do it.

 

I'd suggest if your going to use liquid cooling to build your own loop, a 240 rad, a good cpu block, a well rated resivor, a good pump, a silver kill coil and good tubing, and then just buy distilled water. I know I'm planning on going water on this FX 6300 here shortly but I have parts left over from my previous water setup, my 360 rad, my 6 yateloon fans and ive still got 5 feet of tubing, all I need is a new resivor/pump and a water block. 



-------------------------

AMD FX6300 -- ASROCK 970 Extreme4 -- Diamond HD7790 -- 16gb Patriot DDR3 1600 -- 128gb Sandisk SSD -- 2tb WD Black


AMD Athlon 64 3200 -- MSI K8N Neo FSR -- Saphire X850Pro -- 2gb DDR400 -- Seagate 500GB


AMD Athlon XP 3200 -- ECS KT600A -- PNY Geforce 6600 -- 2gb DDR333 -- WD 80gb 


Intel Pentium 4 3.2 -- ECS 845GC -- Diamond 9700Pro -- 1gb DDR333 -- WD 80gb

 01/13/2014 12:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Posts: 675
Joined: 09/08/2013

H2O coolers all leak sooner or later. The CLCs just seem to leak sooner and more frequently. Corsair changed manufacturers for the new "i" series due to so many leaks with the former non-i series.

A true open loop H2O cooling system will cool better tthan the CLCs but an entry level open loop system starts at ~$195. Since these systems offer no performance benefit other than for extreme overclocking, they are not practical for most folks and they always have the leak liability waiting to destroy expensive PC hardware.

Unless someone actually has a need for an H2O system, I highly recommend against them because the CLCs are thermally inefficient, noisy and expensive compared to a quality, highend tower cooler.

That being said, IMO people should educate themselves on the technical facts regarding coolers and other PC hardware and then buy what makes them happy. It's your money and your decision. As an educated consumer at least you know what to expect without all of the hype and fanboism that is often used to sell inferior CLCs.

In the OP's case if he didn't already have the H70 he'd be wise to just buy a quality, reliable HSF and be done with it. But due to the fact he already has an H70 it's worth giving it a try to see if it has enough capacity for his use. He'll still always have the leak liability but he seems willing to accept that risk, so he's got nothing to lose by trying it on the FX-8350.

I definitely would NOT recommend an expensive open loop H2O system to anyone who doesn't plan on extreme overclocking with a chiller. It's pretty pointless when for $70 you can have a quality HSF that provides all the cooling necessary for an 8-core FX CPU and zero water leak liability.



-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.


 

 05/07/2014 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
klepp0906
Peon

Posts: 17
Joined: 05/07/2014

lotta misinfo in this thread

 05/08/2014 12:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Posts: 839
Joined: 01/05/2013

The opinions and solutions for this subject posting have been covered in more recent posted threads and replies.  Use your own best judgement on what recommendations make the most sense to YOU.

Of course, feel free to ask a pertinent question.



-------------------------

 


 


Non-noob components.

 05/14/2014 04:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
1stezekiel
Peon

Posts: 5
Joined: 05/14/2014

First post ... had to be about this, lol. Ok i have, or had ... an h55i. I used it with 2 silenx fans in a push/pull configuration. I had my cpu (8320) running at 4.3 no issues at all. Perfectly stable. I clocked up to 4.6 ... highest temp was 62°. It worked fine. I upgraded for the simple fact that i felt my cooler was.working too hard, and hit its ceiling. Temps start getting crazy, once u up voltage. Closer you stay to stock voltage, the cooler you will be. 



-------------------------

Fx 8320 ~ 4.6 | 990fxa-ud3 | vengeance 1866 8gb | r9 270 x2 | enermax liqtech 240 | thermaltake smart 650 | crucial m500 120gb ssd | western digi 500 gb | lite on front loader | lg blue ray | mid-gard ll 

 05/14/2014 10:41 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Posts: 951
Joined: 09/11/2008

Originally posted by: AMDforMe H2O coolers all leak sooner or later. The CLCs just seem to leak sooner and more frequently. Corsair changed manufacturers for the new "i" series due to so many leaks with the former non-i series.

 

A true open loop H2O cooling system will cool better tthan the CLCs but an entry level open loop system starts at ~$195. Since these systems offer no performance benefit other than for extreme overclocking, they are not practical for most folks and they always have the leak liability waiting to destroy expensive PC hardware.

 

Unless someone actually has a need for an H2O system, I highly recommend against them because the CLCs are thermally inefficient, noisy and expensive compared to a quality, highend tower cooler.

 

That being said, IMO people should educate themselves on the technical facts regarding coolers and other PC hardware and then buy what makes them happy. It's your money and your decision. As an educated consumer at least you know what to expect without all of the hype and fanboism that is often used to sell inferior CLCs.

 

In the OP's case if he didn't already have the H70 he'd be wise to just buy a quality, reliable HSF and be done with it. But due to the fact he already has an H70 it's worth giving it a try to see if it has enough capacity for his use. He'll still always have the leak liability but he seems willing to accept that risk, so he's got nothing to lose by trying it on the FX-8350.

 

I definitely would NOT recommend an expensive open loop H2O system to anyone who doesn't plan on extreme overclocking with a chiller. It's pretty pointless when for $70 you can have a quality HSF that provides all the cooling necessary for an 8-core FX CPU and zero water leak liability.

 

I think someone had a bad experience with H2O..lol



-------------------------

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

 05/15/2014 09:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Posts: 13080
Joined: 04/17/2008

I don't think he's ever used a closed loop liquid cooler.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/16/2014 09:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DatDirtyDawG
Peon

Posts: 23
Joined: 05/16/2014

I've been using an H80i for almost two years now with my FX-8350 @4.6.  8 hours of P95 and core temps never reached past 55c and I've never had an issue.  No leaks, nothing.  Also I've been visiting various OC forums for the last several years and have never seen any rampant issue of CLC leakage (not that it doesn't/hasn't happen, I just don't remember ever reading any warning that states "over time all liquid coolers eventually leak") on the contrary liquid cooling is like a staple in all those sites  

If you have zero intention of overclocking then why spend any money on a 3rd party cooler.  My Dad has been running his Phenom IIx6 1090T at stock speeds for years and years using the amd supplied heatsink and is still going strong



-------------------------


FX-8350|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0|H80i|GTX 770SC 4GB|GSkill Ripjaws 16GB 

 05/16/2014 11:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

Posts: 295
Joined: 09/16/2012

I've been using this old H50 for years now, and still no leaks, pump is a little flacky though but thats just wear and tear but besides that its doing a pretty good job with a single fan of keeping my FX-8320 at 4.2Ghz running cool.

 

Yeah I might sound like a fanboy but when you get something that works good and works good for years its hard not to be.



-------------------------

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.


Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

 06/18/2014 09:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
klepp0906
Peon

Posts: 17
Joined: 05/07/2014

I wouldn't if u plan to OC at all.  At 5.0 with a lapped 9590,  liquid metal TIM, the case wide open in an air conditioned room - I hit 80c and either lock/restart/or throttle with a h100i.

Adequate at stock with turbo off so your cores all run at 4.7 but don't expect much more.

 

 

 

 06/18/2014 09:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
klepp0906
Peon

Posts: 17
Joined: 05/07/2014

Originally posted by: black_zion Yes, but save yourself some money and get an 8350 instead. It's $100 cheaper and can hit the 4.7ghz the 9590 can with little to no voltage increases.

false.  It will take the same voltages to hit "if" it hits.  The 9590 is guarunteed to do that speed and is a cream of the crop/binned chip.

the monetary value for that? Only you can say.

 06/18/2014 09:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
klepp0906
Peon

Posts: 17
Joined: 05/07/2014

Originally posted by: candle_86 Ok the CLC don't leak unless you damage them somehow, and a custom loop if properly built will only not leak but be alot more efficent than a HSF. Its all in how you do it.

 

 

 

I'd suggest if your going to use liquid cooling to build your own loop, a 240 rad, a good cpu block, a well rated resivor, a good pump, a silver kill coil and good tubing, and then just buy distilled water. I know I'm planning on going water on this FX 6300 here shortly but I have parts left over from my previous water setup, my 360 rad, my 6 yateloon fans and ive still got 5 feet of tubing, all I need is a new resivor/pump and a water block. 

 

 

what would such a reservoir be rated for? lol

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » COOLING FOR FX 9590

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
89060 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.