Topic Title: The new DDR4 ram....
Topic Summary: Support?
Created On: 01/14/2014 08:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/14/2014 08:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
anolesoul
Peon

When will AMD have support for the "new" DDR4 ram,that is coming within this year 2014? I have NOT seen any motherboards(anywhere)that actually will support it;but,I have seen INTEL...jumping on the bandwagon,and going as fast as they can--to have motherboards that do support DDR4. WHEN...will AMD wake-up and get something at the very least "talked" about;and,hopefully that will be available sometime soon...for this ram?

01/14/2014 09:21 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

With their new socket and chipset later this year.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/14/2014 12:52 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

DDR4 offers almost nothing for desktop use that DDR3 LV doesn't offer. It's just a marketing game. Asus and Intel are both good at hyping worthless tech that isn't needed for years. DDR3 @1600 MHz is not a system bottleneck even on a enthusiasts performance level CPU powered desktop, thus DDR4 is just a future tech no one needs for years.

In addition DDR4 RAM uses a different topology so you must install all of the RAM as one kit. There is no adding RAM you must replace it all and it won't be cheap. THIS is why the RAM makers are pushing DDR4. For servers it has some value but not for desktop PCs.

AMD is pinning it's future on Kaveri and FM2+. Thankfully Kaveri is good for entry to mid-level desktop and will be very good for laptops. Other than that AMD has essentially abandoned the true discrete desktop market as there is no Steamroller upgrade for socket AM3+.

Kaveri is definitely worth talking about and the official release today is generating a lot of positive reviews.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/19/2014 10:26 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

DDR4 does away with the dual channel nonsense

so you have 1 stick for each memory channel

makes it simpler for consumers to upgrade as cpu memory controllers are easy to reprogram as needed when a new stick is added to another slot

I am in no rush, I just built the rig I am using now 9 months ago

01/19/2014 10:32 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

DDR4 uses a different topology from DDR3. You install all the RAM you want as one kit. If you want more RAM you must replace all of the RAM. There is no adding another DIMM nor programing of the memory controller. It really offers nothing tangible in system performance for desktop use. It's designed primarily for servers and it will be expensive.

Some companies like Asus and Intel however will be more than happy to mislead consumers into believing there is an advantage for desktop PCs use so that they can sell you new hardware.

An educated consumer doesn't fall for marketing hype.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 01/20/2014 at 11:15 PM by AMDforMe
 01/20/2014 10:27 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

My box right now is reasonably powerful, the CPU is cranked up to 4 GHz which is what the Deneb can do.

My video card is factory overclocked rather heavily making it very powerful. 

I am in no rush for gen 1 of DDR4, I will use this box for probably another 18-24 months before I do another build.

I was considering some nickel and dime stuff like water cooling to deal with the CPU fan noise

I have 8 GB of RAM, seems to be enough for now....

01/24/2014 01:45 AM

Author Icon
neo5555
Case Modder

Originally posted by: AMDforMe DDR4 uses a different topology from DDR3. You install all the RAM you want as one kit. If you want more RAM you must replace all of the RAM. There is no adding another DIMM nor programing of the memory controller. It really offers nothing tangible in system performance for desktop use. It's designed primarily for servers and it will be expensive.

Sounds like RamBUS all over again...  lol

Pics of my rig
i7 4770k, custom water cooling, 8Gig Corsair Dom 2133 9-11-10-27, ASrock Z87 OC Formula, SilverStone ST-1500 PSU, Creative X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500D , 2xHIS 7970 CF, Asus VW246H Monitor, Win 7 64Bit HP, Corsair 800D Case

01/24/2014 09:52 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

much better than Rambus - 1 stick bad and you have to replace ALL of them!

.. pretty much a 'smart' cash grab.

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
2x SATA3 WD Blue 1TB
Corsair 620W
Win7x64
Statistics
81034 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.