Topic Title: Noisy cpu - FX8350
Topic Summary: Odd sounds
Created On: 01/26/2014 07:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/26/2014 07:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Amducious
Peon

Hi there,

first post on this forum. I joined to ask this question as after trawling google I couldn't find anything relevant.

As the title says, I bought an FX8350, running it on Windows 7 Ulitimate 64 bit and it is noisy. Not the cooler, I replaced the stock cooler with an Artctic A30 and the tempertaures are fine. Even under maximun load I have never exceeded 45 degrees.

Initially I installed it in an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. Everything seemed to work fine, no crashes, no heat issues just fine and dandy except for an annoying beeping and more importantly until I came to use Skype.

On Skype the sound was pretty bad that was going through with lots of beeps and interferance. Being the thorough sort I swapped the psu for a spare I have, swapped my Nvidia 470 to my older 260, but still it was there.

I figured it was the basic built in sound and bought a Xonar DG 5.1. Nope, the noise was still there and effecting Skype. I also tested the headset I was using. a turtle beach x11 with my xbox360 and my old xp machine. The headset was fine.

I bought a new motherboard, an Asus Crosshair Formula Z, bought a Crucial SSD for Windows, but used the same RAM (corsair vengeance 1866 - 8gig) dvd drive SH221 and 470 gtx.

Works amazing except for this truly annoying beeping which I can hear clearly over the cooling fans and most especially on Skype.

I'm 99% certain it's coming from the FX8350. I've left it at stock speed, even underclocked it down to 3.6ghz, overlocked it to 4.4ghz, but nothing alters it.

Finally my questions. (Sorry, I do bang on a bit) Is this normal or is it a fault?

My x4 985 didn't do it, nor my x2 6400.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

01/26/2014 02:19 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

CPUs don't make beeping sounds... Honest.

I don't know if the noise is actually coming from the CPU as it has no means to beep but there may be some issue with your hardware that it isn't completely happy with this CPU for some reason.

Does it beep when you are in the BIOS screen? If not the beeping may be an O/S or driver issue. You may end up disabling/uninstalling stuff until you find the cause. You can also test in Windows Safe Mode which installs minimal drivers, to see if it still beeps.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/26/2014 05:31 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

Most certainly not the CPU but if you have kinda (temperature) monitor software running sounding alert for whatever reason... check this.

Sometimes a noisy psu/graphics card can be a real pain too

-------------------------

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
2x SATA3 WD Blue 1TB
Corsair 620W
Win7x64
 01/27/2014 11:38 AM

Author Icon
Amducious
Peon

Okay, thanks guys. I just thought it might be caused by electricity going through the resistors within the cpu.

It's not actually beeping, that's just the closest way of describing it, nothing like a BIOS beep when the PC boots.

This is the second motherboard it was in. PSU and graphics card have been swapped and the noise was still there. Its also had 2 fresh installs of Windows and getting no error messages (on the built in display) from the crosshair Formula Z and BIOS is fine, everything is within normal parameters.

No matter, I can live with it until my next system build.

Cheers

Statistics
80998 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.