Topic Title: High RPM on CPU fan FX 8320
Topic Summary: High RPM FX 8320
Created On: 01/27/2014 12:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/27/2014 12:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rogerfoster88
Peon

I have just bought the FX 8320 CPU and had it professionally installed as i don't know enough about computers to install it myself. When i run a game like WoW i makes a really loud noise. I checked the CPU usage and it's always under 12% and the temp is between 40-50 C when it starts making the noise.

Please help!

01/27/2014 01:50 PM

Author Icon
Fishman
Button Masher

Stock cooling fans are not noted for their silence. They do what they were designed to do, keep the chip cool,regardless of noise.

If you want silence install an aftermarket cooler. Plenty to choose from.

-------------------------

GA-MA-790FXT-UD5P/ AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black/2 x XFX HD5870 /RipjawsX 2x4gb DDR3 1333/ Corsair TX750M/ Antec 900 case/ Windows 7x64 Ult.

01/27/2014 03:21 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Many newer mobos have a BIOS or software option where you can adjust the CPU cooling fan speed. This may lower noise a little bit if it is already set high or close to 100%. You can't lower it too much because when your CPU is under max load the CPU core temp needs to stay at or below 61C according to AMD.

You'd need to check your BIOS settings or the included software that comes with many mobos to see if you can adjust the CPU fan speed. If however you are not familiar with working in the BIOS you should have a professional or someone who is experienced perform this work as you can mess up your PC badly if you change the wrong setting.

There are also applets like SpeedFan that you might be able to install to adjust the fan speed. It's better for the fan to be a little noisy than for the CPU to run too hot and cause system errors.

The main reason why the fan speed is higher on the FX-8320 and FX-8350 is because they are 8-core processors and thus they produce a lot of heat. The OE heatsink fans are smaller than the aftermarket fans so they must spin at a higher speed to blow enough air to cool an 8-core CPU.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 01/27/2014 at 05:28 PM by AMDforMe
 01/28/2014 09:45 AM

Author Icon
rogerfoster88
Peon

Thanks you guys. I wish i new this before purchase. the reviews i read didn't say anything about the noise. I have the i7 4770 in my other build and that is as quiet as a mouse.

01/28/2014 10:25 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The 8-core CPUs produce a lot of heat so you need good cooling. Most people are not bothered by the fan noise of the OE HSF but some folks are sensitive to certain frequencies.

If your system allows you to adjust the CPU HSF speed, give it a try. It may be running at a higher speed than necessary. As long as you have sufficient cooling under max load, that's all the fan speed required and thus less noise.

BTW the Intel i7 4770 is only an 84W Quad core CPU compared to a 125W 8-core FX-8320. That's why the FX-8320 needs more cooling.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/28/2014 03:51 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: rogerfoster88 ... the reviews i read didn't say anything about the noise. ..

Reviews are only half the truth..

Get more air into/through your case and the fan speed will go down. The root problem is not really the fan but an "airtight" case design.

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
2x SATA3 WD Blue 1TB
Corsair 620W
Win7x64
 01/28/2014 04:52 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

While it is possible the OP has poor airflow thru his case I don't know how you reached that conclusion based on the info. presented. His CPU temps aren't even high and we don't even know what rpm his fan is running at so it would be presumptuous to state the problem is an "air tight case".

As far as reviews go, they come in all versions from good to horrible so it's inappropriate to label them as "half the truth".

My point here is that you should be careful to not mislead people with your assumptions and beliefs - which may be completely incorrrect for their situation.

01/28/2014 07:25 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

Yes, it is possibly an airflow problem, thank you!

As far as reviews go, no matter what version from good to bad, none of them usually will mention noisy fans or other mechanical shortcomings like cables too short etc – there are no honest reviews due to fear of legal implications.

My point here is you should refrain from lecturing others – anyone can post opinions

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
2x SATA3 WD Blue 1TB
Corsair 620W
Win7x64

Edited: 01/28/2014 at 07:37 PM by MyMedia59
 01/29/2014 12:33 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

MyMedia59-

Please keep the forum rules in mind when you post so that this forum remains civil and everyone can participate, contribute and learn.

No one said it could be a PC case airflow issue.

If you felt the OP had an issue with his PC case not having sufficient airflow - even though he presented no information that suggested this to be the situation, there are useful ways to alert him of a potential problem without making statements that may not be true and that could be confusing. You could suggest that he check the airflow thru his case if he is seeing high CPU/GPU or mobo temps. That way you're not sending him chasing problems he has not indicated exist.

If he doesn't have higher than normal CPU/GPU or mobo temps then there would be no need to for him to pursue that possibility. Stating that lack of PC case airflow IS the problem when you have no information to reach this conclusion is purely speculation and should be stated as such not as a fact as you did.

The above suggestion is practical decorum and has nothing to do with one's opinion. If you were seeking help here you wouldn't want someone sending you off in a direction looking for a problem that doesn't exist and was never mentioned or suggested by the information you posted.

Statistics
80937 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.