Topic Title: FX-9370 Advice
Topic Summary: Mobos
Created On: 01/28/2014 08:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/28/2014 08:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jairou
Peon

I've gotten my hands on an FX-9370, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about keeping this beast comfortable. I've been suggested a number of $200 boards, but those are kind of out of my immediate budget.

Originally I was looking at the Gigabyte 990FXA UD3, but product reviews and general uneasiness got me wondering if that would be safe. I've been planning to buy the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 since then, but recently I've come across evidence that newer versions of the Gigabyte UD3 and UD5 can handle the 9370.

I really don't want to accidentally fry anything, so I figured I'd ask for myself: are the motherboards at the $125-150 price point safe for a 9370?

01/28/2014 09:09 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

No. Go with the Sabertooth 990FX.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/29/2014 12:20 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There are only a handful of AM3+ mobos with the proper VRM design to handle the FX-9000 series CPUs. I believe that Gigabyte only supports the FX-9000 series on the 990XFA UD7 so I would NOT recommend trying to run it on the other mobo models.

Asrock has two mobos with 12-2 phase VRM designs that are both approved for FX-9000 series, that being the Extreme9 and the discontinued Fatality Pro. Testing has shown that either of these boards would serve you well.

As I have posted if this forum before, I have used all of the major brands of mobos and IME the Asus mobos in general are not as reliable as the Asrock or Gigabyte mobos and the Asus models are often RAM sensitive compared to other brands of mobos. Other folks have shared the same experience. With Asus using several companies to manufacture their mobos you never know what you are actually going to get when you buy. The only two mobos that I have had fail in 20+ years of building highend PCs were both Asus.

Asus gets lots of hyped reviews from supplying hand picked mobos to review sites but the Asrock and even Gigabyte mobos tend to overclock as good as the Asus and some times better. At one time Asus was the gold standard in Asian manufactured mobos but that was 20 years ago when they only sold to OEMs, before they started selling to end users via retailers. With various companies producing their mobo products the quality varies considerably.

Whatever mobo you decide to go with, make sure it officially supports the FX-9000 series CPUs or you'll likely end up with the VRM circuit overheating and throttling the CPU or burning itself up. No one will warranty the mobo if you burn out the VRM circuit.

You'll need a highend HSF or water-cooling to cool the FX-9370. I don't recommend Closed Loop Coolers (CLCs) as independent testing confirms they have poor thermal efficiency and the inescapable water leak liability. Unfortunately good open loop water-cooling systems start at ~$195 and go up and they too can and do leak, with the possibility of damaging all of your expensive PC hardware.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/29/2014 12:39 AM

Author Icon
Jairou
Peon

I did look at the ASRock Extreme9 board briefly, but reviews on other sites warned the brand in general as cheaper / less reliable than ASUS. I don't have much experience at all myself, and you're currently in the minority for what I've come across.

With the Extreme9 as a ~$10 cheaper option, it would otherwise be the preferable of the two.

Do you have a particular heatsink that you've used or seen used with this CPU? Not a lot of people seem to publish 9370 builds, so I was just looking at performance roundups on various sites. You said in particular that I should avoid a CLC though, and I was planning to buy the Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0. Should I get something like a Noctua or Phanteks instead (previously recommended)?

I appreciate the in-depth response.

01/29/2014 12:54 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Up until probably two or three years ago I would not have recomended Asrock mobos but they have continued to push their way right to the top of the charts for excellent mobos and customer support. I and many others have been running OC'ed FX-8350's and some folks with FX-9000 series CPUs on the Asrock E9 and Fatality Pro mobos with excellent results as you can see from my post in numerous threads in this forum and some hard core overclocking forums.

I would definitely pick the E9 over the Asus but other folks would do the opposite. If you get a good Asus mobo it should equal the E9. If not well that's the way it goes when there are multiple producers of a product. As far as customer support I have disliked ALL of the Asian mobo companies lack of customer support over the past 20+ years. Asrock's tech support is by far better than any of the tech support I have had from Asus or Gigabyte.

FWIW, I was the one who forced Gigabyte to test their AM3+ mobos to see their VRM circuit could NOT support an 8-core FX processor without overheating. That is why they quietly revised their 990 series mobos to "XFA" models...

As far as highend HSFs there are a number of good ones at various price points. I recommend the HSF thermal performance test results database at the link below because it gives you a good comparison of the many different HSFs available. A couple degrees one way or the other isn't the end of the world but with an FX-9000 you want to be in the top five HSFs IMO to have sufficient cooling as the FX-9000 series are just factory overclocked FX-8350 CPUs.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2572&page=4

If you can still find an Xigmatek SD128264 Aegir HSF that is what I would suggest. Adding a second fan provides useful cooling air to the VRM heatsinks. I have run (3) 25 hour Prime 95 stress tests this way @ 4.7 GHz. oveclocked and not had overheating issues in a mid-tower PC case.

The Phanteks and Noctua are good HSFs as long as you pick the right model for your high thermal load. You will want to check to be sure these will clear your PC case as they are large. If you have more than (2) DIMMs that might also be an issue with some of if not all of the tower HSFs.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

01/29/2014 02:32 AM

Author Icon
Jairou
Peon

I think I'll do a bit more looking into the motherboard for now since I've got time to wait for my paycheck anyway, but you make a convincing argument. The Extreme9 doesn't have a terrible color scheme either, so that's nice. d:

Regarding the top few heatsinks on that list: it seems like several websites consider a few of those 'outdated,' and with a publish date of Feb. 2011, I'm inclined to agree. The ever-popular Noctua is still listed, but the Xigmatek, Spire, and Thermaltake ones bring up "back in its day" forum posts. That said, it's a damn nice list, so thank you for showing it to me.

Before I convinced myself that water-cooling might be worth the jump, I was browsing through Noctua fans, and they actually have a list of compatible RAM. Thanks for the heads up though, it's not an obvious thing.

01/29/2014 10:00 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The Frosty tech database is useful and a good reference point for comparison. Many of the older models still perform at the top as you can see with reviews of some of the newer models. It's just that the link I showed you was specific to when they tested the Aegir. That's because there hasn't been any major techno breakthroughs to provide better cooling.

The Aegir with only one fan is still #3 on the top 5 AMD HSF list even with the Phanteks and NH-D14 but the Aegir is going to be gone soon. Any of those top 5 should work for you.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I always suggest that PC enthusiasts technically educate themselves on the pros and cons and then buy what makes you happy. My goal is to help you reach the facts and not get caught up in the fanboism. The two Asrock mobos with their 12-2 phase VRMs were puposely built to be the cream of the crop even though the components cost more. The VRM circuit design is of vital importance on an 8-core FX processor and especially a FX-9000 series.

Enjoy.

01/29/2014 12:45 PM

Author Icon
Jairou
Peon

I really appreciate the help. I think I'll go with the ASRock board after all, and after looking around the FrostTech site, I found a more recently published version of your list (where the Xigmatek is still quite high). You've been really helpful, I truly apppreciate it.

Now to wait for the check..

01/29/2014 04:51 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Glad to help.

Enjoy!

Statistics
81110 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.