Topic Title: Future of the AM3+ platform? AM4?
Topic Summary: I have to know! D:
Created On: 02/04/2014 05:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/04/2014 05:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Not long ago the alleged roadmap was claimed to be fraud, so is there anything that can be considered valid on that subject? Aside from rubbish like "we can't comment on that right now".

I was waiting for Kaveri with upgrade of my PC, but it turned out I misunderstood its purpose... And AMD isn't making upgrading exactly easy for people who would like to stay with AMD but don't want to have an already outdated platform only to find out a year later that there is something brand new and shiny.

-------------------------

Using an apostrophe to make plural is dumb, stop doing that and go get some education instead. If you misuse apostrophes like that, you need education.

Edited: 02/04/2014 at 05:47 AM by Aoyagi
 02/04/2014 08:55 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

According to AMD the only AM3+ CPUs to be available in '14 are the Piledriver based models so no new AM3+ cored CPUs. No Steamroller or better core AM3+ CPUs ever. It's over...

Socket AM3+ officially ends life in Q1 of '15 accorrding to AMD.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/04/2014 09:17 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Socket AM3/AM3+ is very old and badly in need of an upgrade, which AMD will do this year to support DDR4, PCIe 3.0, and USB 3.0. Come Sunday, Socket AM3 will have been around for FIVE years, it's time for a replacement. Of course there is nothing wrong with using a Socket AM3+ board now, the manufacturers use third party USB 3.0 controllers, some use third party PCIe 3.0 controllers (though they aren't necessary, even with dual 290X when run at x16/x16), and the desktop market will see little benefit for DDR4.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/04/2014 09:46 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe According to AMD the only AM3+ CPUs to be available in '14 are the Piledriver based models so no new AM3+ cored CPUs. No Steamroller or better core AM3+ CPUs ever. It's over...

Socket AM3+ officially ends life in Q1 of '15 accorrding to AMD.

See, what you said is based on the roadmao I linked, which has supposedly been denied as false by AMD.

Originally posted by: black_zion Socket AM3/AM3+ is very old and badly in need of an upgrade, which AMD will do this year to support DDR4, PCIe 3.0, and USB 3.0. Come Sunday, Socket AM3 will have been around for FIVE years, it's time for a replacement. Of course there is nothing wrong with using a Socket AM3+ board now, the manufacturers use third party USB 3.0 controllers, some use third party PCIe 3.0 controllers (though they aren't necessary, even with dual 290X when run at x16/x16), and the desktop market will see little benefit for DDR4.

Heh, quite old indeed. However, can I ask you for some more info/links on that upgrade? Please?

Using an apostrophe to make plural is dumb, stop doing that and go get some education instead. If you misuse apostrophes like that, you need education.

02/04/2014 09:49 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There is nothing wrong with the AM3+ platform. Just because the socket has existed for 5 years doesn't mean it is deficient. It isn't. There is no need for a new socket other than for multi-plane power states beyond what AM3+ currently offers.

People who bought AM3+ expected AMD to stick to their 2012 road map and supply Steamroller cored AM3+ CPUs. AMD instead decided to abandon their AM3+ installed customer base. As such AMD has no viable desktop CPU upgrade path for two years or more.

Agreed that there is no tangible benefit to DDR4 for desktop use nor even PCIe 3.0 for most folks as PCIe 2.1 isn't saturated. That is precisely why AMD should have released Steamroller cored AM3+ CPUs or Excavator core, neither of which will ever be on socket AM3+.

Aoyagi - My information came right from AMD not from the roadmap you referenced which may or may not be 100% correct.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/04/2014 10:01 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMeMy information came right from AMD not from the roadmap you referenced which may or may not be 100% correct.

So based on what you said, AMD is planning to make just those APU mashups? I haven't heard of any sole CPUs planned for the FM2+ socket...

02/04/2014 12:42 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

AMD will continue to offer PD core AM3+ CPUs thru 2014. Q1 of '15 is when socket AM3+ is officially EOL. AMD will naturally start to discontinue some AM3+ CPUs in 2015 and probably most of them by the end of 2016 if they can come up with a new dedicated desktop CPU that meets consumer approval. Otherwise they will drag out the end of AM3+ CPU sales as long as necessary.

02/04/2014 02:54 PM

Author Icon
HopnDude
Peon

I've also have tried getting information from AMD on the AM4 platform. I have heard nothing back from them.

Currently, if they do have such a chipset, they probably won't say much until last minute as to try and pull as much market from Intel. I just wish that AMD wouldn't just try going for clock speed, but for throughput as well.

AMD/ATi's latest videocard chipset (R9 290X < I'm loving mine) might be a new turnaround for them.

My biggest reason for using AMD and not Intel;

~Allowed to overclock the CPU and still obtain a warranty

~Price (Bang for Buck)

Currently I'm just going to use my setup I have now, as i found some stable OC numbers/temps for my CPU/GPU and I've got it situated via liquid cooling so I'm not in a rush until I get back from from my first deployment overseas. I'll probably go apesh*t's on that PC build.

I would definitly like to see the "ghost" Phenom IV Beaca from the CPU-Z screen shot if it really is real.

990FXA-UD3-Rev1.1 / FX-8350 (OC'd 4.729ghz x8) / Kingston 1600 4x4gig / MSI R9 290X / OCZ Revo Drive 120gig / 2x Western Digital 2T drives in Raid 1 Configuration / OCZ 1000watt PSU / Larkooler 330 Liquid Cooling Kit

02/04/2014 05:32 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

AMD's warranty is quite clear: If you overclock, the warranty is voided immediately.

It's nice that AMD CPUs are unlocked in most cases, if that's what you really meant.

02/04/2014 05:32 PM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: HopnDude

I've also have tried getting information from AMD on the AM4 platform. I have heard nothing back from them.

Currently, if they do have such a chipset, they probably won't say much until last minute as to try and pull as much market from Intel.

See, that's the kind of behaviour which made me seriously consider going for an i5 despite my hatred for some practices Intel is doing.

02/04/2014 06:02 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

You mean like having 5 sockets in the same timeframe that AMD had effectively 1?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/04/2014 11:36 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: Aoyagi
Originally posted by: HopnDude

Currently, if they do have such a chipset, they probably won't say much until last minute as to try and pull as much market from Intel.

See, that's the kind of behaviour which made me seriously consider going for an i5 despite my hatred for some practices Intel is doing.

No CPU maker is going to tell you in advance what they will deliver to the market place until they are ready to release it.

There are lots of good reasons to NOT buy Intel including their conviction for violation of anti-trust laws on three continents where they blackmailed and strong-armed vendors who were trying to sell AMD products. There is also the fact that Intel has been convicted numerous times for tax fraud. There is also the fact that Intel price gouges badly. The list is long and disgusting of why people would want to think twice about purchasing products from a company with so many convictions for violations of law.

02/05/2014 05:55 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion

You mean like having 5 sockets in the same timeframe that AMD had effectively 1?

Heh, that's just inconvenience, I mean their their anti-competition practices and generally the things AMDforMe mentioned below your post (plus that AMD crippling compiler of theirs)

Originally posted by: AMDforMe

No CPU maker is going to tell you in advance what they will deliver to the market place until they are ready to release it.

Well, with that stupid approach they shouldn't be surprised that some people don't have the patience to wait for longer than 4 years to upgrade their CPU and move to the competition instead, no matter how crooked it is. Surely they don't expect me to wait another year (as Kaveri turned out to be lacking in terms of CPU power) for them to proudly announce that they will release another wild card CPU in another year.

02/05/2014 09:25 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

AMD is no different than Intel or other PC hardware providers when it comes to pre-announcing new products. They allow "leaks" to create interest but they don't disclose much final info. until just before release because the product is always changing slightly right up until it goes to Fab.

AMD is of the opinion that Kaveri is so good that AM3+ users will convert to AMD APUs. I don't see that happening for at least several more APU generations and I have made AMD well aware of this.

I expect it to be 2+ years before AMD releases a new discrete desktop CPU. That is why I have denounced their failure to produce Steamroller or Excavator cored AM3+ CPUs to help those with AM3+ systems upgrade until the next new discrete desktop CPU is available..

02/07/2014 11:32 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

I would likely not adopt DDR4 as the early prices will be more than I can afford. AMD knows this and CPU upgrades are a viable market for AM3 and up who are simply looking to keep up with consoles.

Now for a chipset, I would like to have PCI Express 3.0 so I can use x8 lanes for a 3-way rig with no real bottlenecking.

A 4th slot for a RAID card or other device with x8 would be a plus.

10GBASE-T for the network too. Also avilable for PCI Express x8 slots.

Using brackets, I can put 8 SSD drives in my chassis. So a RAID card is needed to use them all. So more SATA ports would solve that problem.

I would also like more than 4 sticks of memory, maybe 6-8 would be nicer. I am into lots of other stuff besides PC gaming.

02/08/2014 01:51 AM

Author Icon
KillerHurdz
Overclocker

AMD has been quite clear with their plan going forward.

You're dreaming if you think big core is getting a refresh.

AMD won't hit thier 50%-revenue-from-growth-segments target by investing in money sinks like the traditional processor business.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz, Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870, ASUS M4A78T-E, 8GB Kingston/Mushkin DDR3-1333, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2xSeagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid Drive (RAID0), ASUS Xonar Xense, Corsair HX750W, Antec Nine Hundred, Windows 7 Professional x64.

HP Touchsmart TM2: Intel Core i5 430UM, Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM HDD, ATI Radeon HD5450, 8GB Samsung DDR3-1333 (CL9), Windows 7 Professional x64.

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 01:58 AM by KillerHurdz
 02/08/2014 10:15 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

The FX CPU line is likely to be available through 2014 readily from your favority etailer.

The FX-8350 is the best CPU for my current box.

Intel will likely be first with DDR4 anyway. AMD is more mainstream.

02/08/2014 12:41 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

KillerHurdz's point is that AM3+ is dead. The FX line for socket AM3+ will only get Piledriver based CPUs until EOL for AM3+ in Q1 of 2015.

No Steamroller or Excavator core AM3+ CPUs means AMD has shot themselves in the foot as they have no AM3+ desktop or upgrade path for at least two years. That's two more years of lost sales revenue amounting to Billions.

Unfortunately for AMD and it's loyal customers... it's typically two steps forward and two steps back... with AMD.

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 02:33 PM by AMDforMe
 02/08/2014 03:13 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

For me, my currenrt CPU seems to be adequate given its overclocked all they way.

The FX-8350 does have a bit more L3 cache, which seems to be the best use of silicon of late.

CPUs are mature, not much left to study.

03/19/2014 05:13 PM

Author Icon
ossur
Peon

Hi, I would like to change platform from Intel and I would like to ask you what will be more prospective AM3+ or FM2?

B rgds

Ossur

Statistics
81014 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.