Topic Title: Future of the AM3+ platform? AM4?
Topic Summary: I have to know! D:
Created On: 02/04/2014 05:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2014 10:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It depends on what your goal is and what you use your PC for? What are you currently using for a PC and what do you want to achieve?

Socket AM3+ is end of life in Q1 of 2015 but the CPUs and mobos will still be available for some time.

FM2+ is more entry level performance at the moment but it will improve over time.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/20/2014 03:17 AM

Author Icon
ossur
Peon

Thx for your reply,

basically, I use my PC for games and I would mixed some AMD processor with overclocked R9 290x gpu. For me atm APU is waste of money because i will not use half of procesor features.

05/08/2014 05:32 PM

Author Icon
SAimNE
Peon

if you're gaming on it, recent benchmarks for bf4, one of the first games to finally make use of all 8 cores, showed the fx-8350 snipping at the heels of the i7-4770k, and that's at stock clocks and it stayed at 60% usage...

based on that i really wish am3+ wasnt dead, i'd buy that upgrade in a heartbeat. i mean piledriver is ancient by processor standards and keeping up just fine with the top end intels now that it's being utilized. if they actually released escavator i'd buy it even if it was 400$s because games finally caught up with their core count..... but instead of that it appears they are just cancelling it. i maintain hope that it's just them staying silent for one last release and to sideswipe intel, but it looks unlikely ;-;

overall i'm still more than pleased with the performance my fx-8350 is putting out in current gen games... i dont even need the oc to keep a perfect gaming experience, and that should last for awhile as long as games get better at using all the cores, but it still would be nice to have that one final upgrade that makes it viable for even longer, even if it comes at intel level prices i'd be all over it.

05/10/2014 09:03 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I am using the 2010 flagship CPU, overclocked its still respectable.

I have a 2-way motherboard and I have used dual video cards and the Phenom is able to manage fine.

Today my single GTX 660 Ti handles games with ease. No need for more, not yet anyway.

I look at consoles for guidance, my box beats a console so no worries.

05/16/2014 09:36 AM

Author Icon
DatDirtyDawG
Peon

Originally posted by: ossur Thx for your reply,

basically, I use my PC for games and I would mixed some AMD processor with overclocked R9 290x gpu. For me atm APU is waste of money because i will not use half of procesor features.

What did you end up getting?  I know it's a bit late but I've had my FX-8350 and absolutely love it.  I play all the latest games, record and edit videos for youtube and this processor smashes through everything.  Moderately overclocked to 4.6 using a Corsair H80i and it's worked beautifully for me without having spent a small fortune:

FX-8350 @4.6GHz|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0|Corsair H80i

FX-8350|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0|H80i|GTX 770SC 4GB|GSkill Ripjaws 16GB 

05/21/2014 05:48 PM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Right, I forgot to update the thread with this.

Using an apostrophe to make plural is dumb, stop doing that and go get some education instead. If you misuse apostrophes like that, you need education.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » Future of the AM3+ platform? AM4?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84898 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.