Topic Title: AMD FX 9590 freezing will running Sisoftware Sandra
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/05/2014 07:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2014 07:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
madmartyr
Peon

I am desperate to solve this issuse.  Here's my setup and every running stock.

CPU - AMD FX 9590

Cooler Themaltake water 3.0 Extreme

Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990FC R2.0

Memory - 2x8gb Crucial BLS8GSDS316FE DDR3 - 1600(9-9-9-24 4-39-12-6)

Graphics card AMD Radeon HD Series 7900 3gb

Runnging lates bios and only setting I have changed is setting the correct voltage for the memory 1.5v

CPU temps appear fine. Running widows 8.1 64bit

Please please can someone solve me problems.

Edited: 02/05/2014 at 07:49 AM by madmartyr
 02/05/2014 09:08 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There can be many possibilities.

The first thing I do to look for problems with a PC is run Memtest86+ V4.20 or V5 overnight to see if there is a RAM issue. I've had brand new, top name RAM fail in as little as 2 weeks to 2 months.

I'd also check the CPU core temp under load. You can use OCCT or similar software to record voltages and temps while you use your PC. If it's above 61C core temp under full load then it's probably too hot as AMD specifies 61C max. 24/7 for the FX-8000 series CPUs and the FX-9000 is probably similar.

You can use the Core Temp applet to check core temps as some software lists "CPU temp" which is not the actual CPU temp or core temp, but instead the thermister below the CPU socket. The CPU temp is often 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temp.

If by chance the OCCT software shows the vcore (VID) voltage dropping to .875v and the CPU frequency dropping to 1400 MHz. at the same time when the PC is under load, then there is a high probability that the mobo VRM circuit is overheating and throttling the CPU to allow the VRM circuit to cool. The only solution is more fan cooling of the VRM heatsink or a better mobo.

Next if you are using std. DDR3 RAM (not low voltage RAM), I would increase the RAM voltage to 1.55 or 1.6v. This will not hurt the RAM at all as it must be reliable up to at least 1.65v to meet industry DDR3 specs. If the RAM was automatically set higher than the 1.5v, then you might try putting it back to what it was set to before you changed it, as long as it's below 1.7v. Manually setting the timings should be fine.

If your CPU temp is below 61C under full load and your RAM tests good, then I'd check the CPU vcore (VID), voltage under load to see if the voltage is fluctuating significantly from the specified default voltage as shown with CPU-Z. If it is then you need to adjust the Load Line Calibration to try and keep the vcore stable under heavy load as this can over volt and cause the CPU to run hot and freeze or under volt and cause the CPU to hang.

You can also manually set the CPU-NB to ~1.3v and the HT voltage to 1.25v if the above doesn't resolve the freezing issues. When you sort out all of the issues your PC should be Prime 95 stress testing stable but it can take some work to determine all of the proper BIOS settings for a given CPU/mobo when the "auto" settings don't work as planned.

The FX-9000 series CPUs require a mobo with an outstanding VRM design. Hopefully your mobo has this even though Asus alludes to the thermal requirements for the FX-9000 model CPUs.

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Edited: 02/05/2014 at 09:20 AM by AMDforMe
 02/06/2014 02:28 PM

Author Icon
andy990
Peon

Check windows for errors. Hold the windows button on the keyboard and click x.

Then go to event viewer, select Windows logs , then select system to view any errors from the system, correct any errors.

Then go to Applications in the event viewer and select Applications. check for and correct any errors. It might be that sandra needs net 3.5 or something like that, maybe not.

Google any error codes to find out what to do.

Then go to Device manager and check for errors.

Then go to Disk management , select your disk, right click and select properties, then go to tools and check your hard drive for errors.

You also should have a couple of case fans to cool the case.

Check your power supply voltages, they must be within 5% of spec. Power supply failures are common. Is your power supply big eneough?

Read the release notes for sandra under windows 8. Google sandra and windows 8.1 freezing.

Most likely your will find the problem under Event viewer errors or warnings.

Statistics
87665 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.