Topic Title: FX 8350 causing dd3 usuablity problems?
Topic Summary: Ram usuablity issue
Created On: 02/07/2014 03:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2014 03:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
blake1383
Peon

I have the FX 8350. i currently am using it with the ASUS sabertooth 990fx gen 3 R2.0 motherboard and Corsair Vengeance 1866 4x4gb ddr3 ram. The ram is supported by the motherboard. what happens is it will go from showing at 16 gb usuable, to the next time i reboot 7.98 gb usuable but it shows all 16 is there. and this will change from one reboot to the next random. I have updated the bios. reset the cpu and cmos. tried only 2 of the ram and mixed them. but the issue comes back everytime. i have ran Memtest when i had all 16gb showing in the bios and had 0 errors. 

I have windows 8.1 Pro addition 

I was wondering if maybe the cpu was bad and causing this issue? 

thank you for your help in advance. 

02/07/2014 04:30 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

No it's not a CPU issue it's typically a mobo/BIOS issue. Numerous people have reported this same problem to ASUS on this specific model mobo (and others), but Asus doesn't want to admit their mobos are extremely RAM sensitive. If you badger Asus enough they will release a BIOS update to allow your RAM to function properly all the time.

You should also contact Corsair as they are probably aware of the issue but the ICs they are using might vary slightly from one batch to another, thus causing a conflict on the Asus mobos, which IME have always been RAM sensitive over the past 20+ years.

In addition Asus uses multiple companies to manufacture their mobos so it's possible one of them has some mobo production issues also?

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/07/2014 04:36 PM

Author Icon
blake1383
Peon

Thank you. I have been trying to get an answer to this for a long time. ASUS wanted me to send my motherboard in to get repaired rather then saying any other issue. do you think i should do this anyone to be on the safe side? 

thank you again 

02/07/2014 04:38 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It sounds like the RAM and motherboard have an incompatibility, which is unusual as Corsair is usually pretty good about that. You could try to slightly increase the DRAM voltage by a tenth, but if that doesn't work you might have to replace them. Before sending in the motherboard I would order some more RAM (I would recommend my modules as I have the same board as you and know they are compatible) and see if you still get the issue. Do be aware though that you will not see any detriment from going from 16GB to 8GB.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64

Edited: 02/07/2014 at 05:00 PM by black_zion
 02/08/2014 12:07 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: blake1383 Thank you. I have been trying to get an answer to this for a long time. ASUS wanted me to send my motherboard in to get repaired rather then saying any other issue. do you think i should do this anyone to be on the safe side? 

thank you again 

IME with Asus customer support, if you send them a perfectly new looking mobo that has some defect, they will send you back a POS mobo that has been hand soldered and looks like it was left along the side of the highway for 6 months. I'm not kidding. This is EXACTLY what Asus customer support sent me for a 3 month old Asus mobo that went bad. I returned to Asus the POS mobo that I didn't even want to touch as it was covered in filthy dust. I bought a Gigabyte Durable series mobo and never had a problem again.

Thus I would not trust Asus to repair your mobo or send you a proper replacement mobo based on my firsthand experience with their customer support (sic). In addition I doubt the mobo is the real problem. More than likely the mobo needs a new BIOS to make the RAM and mobo compatible.

Corsair should be able to light a fire under Asus engineering to correct the issue.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 02:34 PM by AMDforMe
Statistics
84861 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.