Topic Title: amd fx 6300 high temp.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/10/2014 01:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2014 01:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
blackand
Peon

Hi everyone,

I have some issue with new pc system. Sharing 3 pics from different temp. monitor. It's taken on start up screen. 3 different temps. and no overclock. Which one i have to trust.  3 times i had to reboot but there wasnt any blue screen.

bios screen: 65 c

amd overdrive screen: 45 c

core temp 1.0 scree: 39 c

http://i58.tinypic.com/1zmkmr6.jpg

i got AMD FXC 6300,

MSI 970 A-G46 motherboard,

8 gb gskill ram,

stock coolers x4,

thanks...

02/10/2014 02:48 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The ONLY temp that matters on a CPU/APU is the Max core temp under full load. The BIOS temp and "CPU temp" are typically the thermister mounted below the CPU socket. They often run 10C-25C higher than the core temp depending on the CPU load and duration.

Core Temp is the one you want to use and 39C is far below the 61C that AMD specifies for the 8-core CPUs. Since AMD doesn't show the proper FX-6300 Max temp on their website, which is a disgrace IMO, then you have to guess but it's at least 61C under full load and could be as high as 70C.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=811&f1=AMD+FX+6-Core+Black+Edition&f2=&f3=&f4=1024&f5=AM3%2b&f6=&f7=32nm&f8=&f9=5200&f10=False&f11=False&f12=True

If your PC is freezing and requires a re-boot make sure that all of your cable connections are good and that the CPU and RAM are properly seated in their sockets. You can also set the RAM timings and voltage manually if need be as not all BIOS assign the correct timings as specified for the RAM.

If you still have issues you might also want to run Memtest86+ V4.2 or V5 overnight to check for RAM issues as I have seen new RAM go bad in as little as a few weeks.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/10/2014 at 09:03 PM by AMDforMe
 02/11/2014 10:40 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

AMD is notorious for underpowered coolers.

You can upgrade the thermal interface material, that costs $20.

Grabbing a water cooler is now < $100 and that is the route I am considering.

02/11/2014 11:59 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The OE HSFs supplied by AMD work just fine unless you have sustained ambient room temps above 90F. Then you'd want to make sure the case airflow is excellent and consider air-conditioning for your body and PC. Aftermarket HSFs can be quieter and have more thermal capacity but they are not required for CPUs/APUs running at factory set frequencies.

H2O (CLC) style coolers as previously discussed in other threads here, are a poor choice for CPU cooling as they are thermally inefficient, noisy, a poor value compared to an equal performing HSF and they have an inescapable water leak liability that has fried many a PC. Those are the facts on CLCs and the data has been obtained thru control scientific testing at numerous web review sites for your viewing pleasure.

Open loop H2O systems start at ~$195 and go up. They have more thermal capacity and can be quieter than CLCs but they also leak over time and they can fry your PC hardware. This has been documented.

IMO PC enthusiasts should perform due diligence on CPU H2O cooling systems and then buy what makes them happy. They are the ones that must live with the consequences of their purchasing decision. As long as they are aware of the technical deficiencies and liabilities they have no reason to be upset when the CLC fails to live up to the hype because independent scientific testing shows how poorly these units perform compared to a quality HSF cooler that costs less and never leaks damaging coolant to cause an electrical disaster.

The link below shows over 100 HSFs that are better than a Corsair H60 CLC and many of the superior performing HSFs cost half the price of a CLC. It's actually pretty comical to see how easily some people can be duped with water cooling being hyped as superior to a HSF when objective science shows them to be inferior.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2705&page=5

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
80943 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.