Topic Title: AMD FX8320 Turbo core issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/12/2014 06:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2014 06:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BaudNerd
Peon

My system:

CPU FX8320

MoBo Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

RAM 16GB DDR3 1600mhz

HDD 1TB Seagate 

PSU Corsair 80+ Bronze 750W

GPU Gigabyte GTX770 Windforce 4GB OC Edition

Heatsink Master Cooler Vortex Plus

My Question:

The information given about this chip when I bought it was that Turbo core boosts the CPU frequency to 4.0Ghz. I have the performance option in BIOS selected and it says that my CPU frequency is at 3.8Ghz. Not that Im complaining. What I use this computer for hardly puts any strain on this beast of a processor. I have yet to see this thing use more than 30% of its total power. I'm just trying to get an understanding of how these things work. Is Turbo core something that you can turn on or off? 

I dont believe in overclocking the chip but the Turbo core is advertised as a feature by the manufacturer. My philosophy is: if you want a faster chip, pay for one. Also, I feel the chip is designed to run a certain way and screwing with it outside of manufacturer specs is playing with fire. Is Turbo corec considered overclocking the chip? Will it void the warrenty?

02/12/2014 06:08 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

It is not considered overclocking and will not void the warranty, but it also rarely will be used.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/12/2014 10:44 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The FX-8320 has a base clock of 3.5 GHz. and 4.0 GHz. Turbo mode.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=810&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

The newer CPUs and APUs have a very complicated internal control that varies the operating frequency dynamically based on the processors temp and load. As long as Turbo mode is enabled in your mobo BIOS, the CPU will use up to and including the 4.0 GHz. Turbo frequency under the right conditions. It may be for a split second or for several seconds as it changes constantly based on the complex algorithm.

As far as overclocking is concerned it's understood that ANY overclocking efforts immediately void the warranty because you are operating the CPU/APU/GPU beyond the mfgs. settings. With that in mind most quality PC hardware suppliers leave a safety margin in their products to insure long life. I personally have been overclocking CPUs for 15+ years and I have never had a CPU fail - ever. I don't go crazy with the overclocking or abuse the processor with excessive voltage or inadequate cooling like some folks do. Only those who are willing to accept damaged PC hardware and immediately loss of their warranty should consider overclocking.

Your CPU running in Turbo mode is not overclocking and it has no impact on your warranty. The Vishera based FX CPUs are powerful processors and great fun.

Enjoy!

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/16/2014 04:59 AM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

One thing you did not mention is that Turbo Core does not boost all the cores speeds. If it did it would probably draw more power than it was designed for. As long as the total power "envelope" is maintained there is no risk overheating the processor. Intel has a similar technolgy called Turbo Boost.

Frequency Scaling

AMD FX Processors Unleashed | a Guide to Performance Tuning with AMD OverDrive and the new AMD FX Processors

Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Statistics
80998 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.