Topic Title: FX8350 Crashing/resetting/freezing PC
Topic Summary: Have tried everything
Created On: 02/14/2014 06:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/14/2014 06:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LeetModule
Peon

Alright fist off let me say I have literally tried everything on getting my PC to work. I have replaced the following already PSU, GPU (Three times) and RAM below will be my current specs. I have reset the CMOS battery using the jumper twice (Currently running at optomized defaults no overclocking). I have reinstalled windows countless times to make sure there were no driver problems or window errors. I have also ran memtest all day with no errors on the new and old RAM. I have downloaded all chipset drivers and my motherboard is on the latest stable version which is FB (motherboard is a GA990FXA-UD5 rev 3.0) I have also changed PCI-e slots to make sure one of them wasn't bad. Now that that's taking care of here are my current specs.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD5
GPU: GTX 660 Superclocked 2gb
RAM 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair 750wCX Modular power supply
CPU: FX8350 stock

Problem:
Two months ago I built this PC everything was running perfect and was able to everything I normally do on the computer. Until I run certain games or programs that are CPU heavy. I launch BF4 and it freezes on the loading screen, I render a video in CPU render (it's usually faster for me this way) I get a blue screen, or even if I am watching a video sometimes it will give me a blue screen. Something about "Watchdog" I am no computer genius but I know my way around the computer pretty well and I am at a complete loss here. No matter what I do the problem remains and all that's left is my MOBO (Which I honestly don't think that's the problem) or the CPU. I have posted on multiple forums and you guys are my last hope. Someone please help me.

02/14/2014 09:06 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It sounds like you've checked the obvious connectors and sockets. Have you tried running with just one DIMM to see if it still crashes? Have you contacted Gigabyte tech support about the issue? Have you checked the CPU core temp under heavy load like gaming or P95 stress testing? Are you manually setting the RAM timings in the BIOS to match whatever the RAM maker suggests?

A couple settings that seem to help many people with the 8-core FX processors are:

increase the RAM voltage ~.05V above the specified voltage

CPU-NB ~1.3v

HT = 1.25v

HT frequency = 2600 MHz.

If you don't need the power saving options you can manually set the CPU vcore and disable C&Q, C6, C1E, Application Power Management, CPU internal throttle (only if the CPU cooling is excellent and fan speed appropriate). Gigabyte may use different names for some of these BIOS settings.

Adjust the Load Line Conditioning (LLC) or similarly named control so it keeps the vcore voltage as close as possible to the default voltage (as shown in CPU-Z), when the CPU is under heavy load. You can also increase the CPU vcore if need be as "auto" mode does not always work even though it should.

It's also possible Gigabyte has a BIOS issue with that board as the XFA models are pretty new and they changed the VRM circuit because the prior models would over-heat the VRM circuit with 8-core FX CPUs.

While it's remotely possible, I highly doubt the CPU has gone bad. It's usually a BIOS setting that isn't 100% right for the CPU/mobo/RAM and it causes the problem. Corrupted GPU drivers are also a common problem and sometimes require extensive cleaning and re-installation.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/14/2014 09:13 PM

Author Icon
LeetModule
Peon

I have contacted gigabyte and they thought it was a GPU issue when it clearly is not, I will try the settings you suggest and report back.

02/14/2014 09:28 PM

Author Icon
LeetModule
Peon

Alright I did what you suggested and it still crashes. I have no clue on what is causing this. 

02/14/2014 10:54 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

A watchdog is a device used to protect a system from specific software or hardware failures that may cause the system to stop responding. Some software employs watchdog technology.Have you installed any software that might be using this. A program with watchdog may be telling you that there is some software or hardware that is misbehaving.

Check Windows Task Manager to see if you see any Processes you don't recognize.

Run Msconfig and temporarily unckeck all Startup Items. If the computer stops crashing then go back to Msconfig and recheck the Startup Items one at a time to see if you can find which one of the items is causing the system to crash.

If you can't find a program that is crashing the system then maybe a hardware driver is causing the problem.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

02/15/2014 12:13 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It could actually be the GPU card or drivers but it could be many things. That's the challenge to determine what it really is.

To me it is starting to sound more like a driver, O/S or possibly software issue more than a hardware issue. I'd try booting into Windows in Safe Mode and see if you can run some games without any crashing. Safe Mode only installs basic drivers.

Is your CPU temp OK under full load? Does the crashing only occur in video intense use? Did you try just one DIMM?

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/15/2014 10:30 PM

Author Icon
LeetModule
Peon

I honestly don't think its the GPU card it self because I have tried 3 differnent cards all with the same result, although I was able to play more games with the 6850 than I have been able to with both of the GTX 660 superclocked cards I have tested with, before you asked I reinstalled windows each time I put a new card in just to make sure no drivers were interfering with each other.

My CPU temps are good when under load usually around 55-60

And the freezing usually occurs on loading screens, im assuming thats when the system is taxed the most loading all the assets and such. I have had a few random freezes here and there and some BSOD claming a hardware issue. I even froze in minecraft (this is what led me to believe that the cpu might be the cause) which is not a very GPU heavy game but a CPU heavy game. I have tried one DIMM with the same thing happening.

I can play non-cpu heavy games just fine such as any of the ARMA 2 engine games that only use 10-20% of the CPU but when I launch Battlefield 4 or Titanfall now it will use up anywhere from 25-40% and then freeze. 

I will be trying out an FX8320 to see if that fixes the problem if it doesn't the last thing to replace is the MOBO, but like I said before I honestly don't think that's the problem because it usually works fine on the desktop while you're doing normal computer related things. Sorry for the late reply! If you have any thing else I should try please let me know.

02/16/2014 12:14 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I'd suspect the BIOS before I would the mobo but you never really know until you sort it all out. Some folks have been unable to run the new A10-7850K APU on a number of Asus mobos but they run fine on Gigabyte mobos.

02/16/2014 02:00 PM

Author Icon
LeetModule
Peon

So it looks like one of the cores was bad, I went into BIOS and went to core control and put it as 6 instead of automatic and so far I have not had a crash since.

02/16/2014 02:12 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

That suggests the CPU managed to slip through QA testing, you might be able to send it back. Get an RMA.

02/16/2014 02:15 PM

Author Icon
LeetModule
Peon

I have sent them three emails explaining the situation I still didn't get a reply from them, I will wait till the weekend is over and see if they reply. Thanks guys appreciate the help.

02/16/2014 03:15 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

While it's possible that you have a bad CPU, just disabling a few cores and now not having issues doesn't actually confirm this. The cores are never 100% equal. When you stress them like with heavy video or P95 for instance, you'll almost always find one or two cores that fail the stress test until the BIOS settings are optimised.

I realise that you have spent considerable time and energy trying to sort out the issue. AMD might exchange the CPU and hopefully that fixes the issue but if it doesn't, keep in mind what I mentioned above about there always being variation in the cores. AMD usually leaves a pretty good safety margin so it would be quite unusual though not impossible for a CPU core to fail.

AMD tech support is damn slow IME usually taking several Biz days to respond. They don't work weekends. If you don't get a reply on Mon. you might want to phone them. Some folks have reported here much better response via phone though you'd certainly expect a tech company to have quality tech support...

Statistics
84248 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.