Topic Title: AMD FX-9590 5GHz Max Turbo AM3+ Black Edition 8-Core 8MB OEM
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2014 08:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2014 08:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

Hi, I am looking for some help before I buy anything, I am looking to buy the AMD FX-9590 5GHz Max Turbo AM3+ Black Edition 8-Core 8MB OEM.

I want to know if this processor does virtualization and which motherboard would be the best to us for this. 

Could anyone help me which this, I would like to know if I am buying the right product and which motherboard would be good to run virtualization.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Sanchez

02/16/2014 11:55 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Yes the FX series can run virtualization. The term virtualization however has various meanings to different people. See link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization

As far as mobo there are only a handful of mobos that have a proper VRM design to deliver the high power required of the FX-9000 series CPUs. The Asrock Extreme 9 is the one I would recommend because it has a 12-2 phase VRM circuit. The other mobos all have 8-2 phase VRM designs. I believe the only Gigabyte mobo that is approved for the FX-9000 series is the GA-990FXA-UD7 Rev. 3.

I do not recommend Asus mobos based on the fact that they use multiple companies to produce their mobos, they have proven to be RAM sensitive compared to other mobos, Asus tech support IME is horrible at best and lastly the only two mobos that I have had fail in over 20 years of building many highend PCs, were both Asus.

Be advised that you will need a highend tower HSF or H2O cooler to cool any FX-9000 series CPU. I recommend the HSF as they never leak water to cause electrical damage as H2O systems can and do. The link below has a quality database of the many HSFs and some H2O coolers. Scroll down to the AMD Top five HSFs for current top performers. You'll need a top 5-6 pick for a FX-9000.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2572&page=4

FWIW, many folks prefer the FX-8350 overclocked to the FX-9000 series as the FX-8350 is bulletproof reliable and when OC'd will typically run Prime 95 stable at ~4.5 GHz. or higher without issue. You would however lose your warranty if you overclock. I would still recommend the same mobo and tower cooler if you decide to go with the FX-8350 vs. the FX-9590.

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Edited: 02/16/2014 at 12:08 PM by AMDforMe
 02/16/2014 12:51 PM

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

Hi mate, thank you for coming back to me. I am planning to run vm ware and hyper-v.

Would the processor work fine? 

02/16/2014 03:36 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

To the best of my knowledge, (I'm definitely NOT an expert on virtualization), yes you should be able to run both VM Ware and Hyper-V but you might want to confirm this with VMware/Mircosoft themselves as there are always possible oddball conflicts. VMware and Hyper-V are made to run on X86 systems so the FX processors should not be an issue AFAIK.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

02/17/2014 05:27 PM

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

ok, i will find out and let you know the outcome.

if it does it supported which motherboard would you say to us and what type of cooling system should i set up?

02/17/2014 08:53 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

As I posted above the Asrock Extreme 9 would be my recommendation due to the 12-2 phase VRM design.

For cooling I'd use an Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 if you can still find one and add a second fan. If you can't find an Xigmatek Aegir then the Phanteks PH-TC14PE or the Noctua NH-D14 are both top of the line HSFs. The Thermaltake Frio is also a good HSF.

02/17/2014 11:54 PM

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

cool,  just waiting for a email back from mirosoft/vmware.

For a heatsink - i was looking to get the Corsair H100, would that be fine?

02/18/2014 05:59 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

In my opinion NO the Corsair H100 is not a good cooler at all. It's thermally inefficient, noisy, a poor value but worst of all when these H2O coolers leak...and they do leak, they can and they have destroy expensive PC hardware. In addition if they leak and short circuit your PC you could also burn your house down.

That being said some folks are infatuated with H2O cooling. I always suggest that PC enthusiasts technically educate themselves on the pros and cons of a hardware product including the water leak liability of all H2O systems and if you still think an H2O cooler is what you want, then buy it. You are the one spending the money and you're the one who will need to live with the consequences of your purchase.

02/19/2014 02:45 AM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Corsair Hydro series Coolers are fine coolers. And depending on which version of the H100 (IE 105 110 like mine ect.) They provide a really nice look to the inside of the case. As far as Leaks are concerned as long as your product is under warranty. if it leaks and damages system components Corsair will replace them on a case by case basis. (IE the leak has to be seen to be manfacturer / component fault and have caused the component in question to fail) 

My H110 Keeps my I5 extremely cool.

If you want a HSF the Aegir is awesome. Zalman CNPS series are really nice too. I've also used a cooler master V8 and its massive but it does get the job done. I really should start selling some of these computer parts I have so much crap. 

But as a basis I'm useing a I5 3570K @ 4.5ghz right now playing wow while responding to this post sitting at a nice 45C. on all cores. (very CPU depednant game) 

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

02/19/2014 04:34 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I am well aware that some folks can't deal with the realities of H2O coolers leaking and their thermal inefficiency but these are facts of life. The typical H2O enthusiasts ignores the water leak liability pretending that it will never happy to them - until it does.

Corsair has had so many H2O coolers leak that they had to start offering to pay for damaged PC hardware. And while that's all nice, it doesn't prevent the loss of use of your PC, possible data loss, possible house fires, etc. It also doesn't cover the inconvenience of shipping damaged hardware back and forth and all the other related hassles. And it doesn't prevent the replacement H2O cooler from leaking just like the original one as several Corsair customers have confirmed.

And one would endure all of this foolishness for what purpose? Because some people are infatuated with H2O coolers that are thermally inefficient, noisy, a poor value and that have a water leak liability. I am fully aware BTW that PCs are just toys for some people and that is fine. They might be willing to take the risk of a water leak. For those who's PC and data are important, an H2O cooler may be a very bad choice.

As I said above PC enthusiasts should technically educate themselves on the FACTS regarding PC hardware including the liabilities and H20 coolers certainly have a major water leak liability. If after technically educating themselves these folks still feel that an H2O cooler is what they want then that is what they should buy. Buying blindly however based on fanboism is a guaranteed recipe for disaster.

What's really ironic is the people who buy really, really bad Corair H2O coolers like the H60 when there are over 100 HSFs that cost as little as half the price and out perform the H60. A HSF never leaks water to short circuit your PC, either. So why is it again that someone would buy an H2O cooler? (That's a rhetorical question).

02/25/2014 02:55 PM

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

Hi

I've still haven't heard anything back from vm ware or Microsoft to see if the gpu could be fine..

I looked abit more into the heat sink and found that I'm going with the coller master v8 gts, been told it a good heat sink and would work fine.

02/25/2014 03:06 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I'm pretty sure you'll find there are no issues with any X86 based CPUs based on what the two companies advertise about their products but it's always best to check before you go down a long road that requires a lot of effort.

Statistics
88750 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.