Topic Title: Athlon x4 740 having issues?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/20/2014 07:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/20/2014 07:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Proto-12
Peon

Hello. As the title says, I may be having some issues with the processor that I bought off of Newegg.

I just built my computer yesterday, maybe a couple days ago depending on how old this thread gets. But anyways, when I hooked up everything and first pressed the power button, nothing was displayed, and there was no speaker. So me and a friend who's good at computers decided to switch from the GPU video out to the regular motherboard video out since we didn't have any drivers, and flipped the speaker around so it would work.

We tried again. No post beep, no screen display.

So we tested out something, where we took out the RAM and the speaker there worked with three beeps, indicating that there's no RAM installed within the system.

So, as time went on in trying to fix the problem, I turn on the computer again and now I get 5 beeps, indicating a processor failure.

If I remove the graphics card though, there's no beeps and no display.

I don't know what's wrong as of now, some people are telling me it's the processor being faulty. But it may be the motherboard itself, I don't fully know.

I hope someone can help resolve my problem soon.

EDIT: Specs for computer

Case: Sentey Optimus GS-6000 ATX Mid tower

CPU: AMD Athlon x4 740 quad core @ 3.2Ghz

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88x Killer

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce R7 260x 2GB

RAM: Team Zeus 8GB 2133 Dual channel

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB (( nothing installed on it ))

PSU: Corsair CX600

Edited: 02/20/2014 at 07:38 PM by Proto-12
 02/20/2014 08:20 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Rest assured that the CPU worked fine when AMD tested it and placed it in the package. Unless it was physically damaged when you opened the package it should be fine unless you some how damaged it while changing components.

It's quite possible that you have some cabling incorrect or incomplete. You may need to clear the CMOS because of installing and removing the GPU card and switching back and forth. The beeping diagnostics may or may not be correct as it has to guess based on what it thinks is suppose to be present and what it actually sees as present.

You may need a pro to set-up the hardware for you or use an online PC build check list. A search should show several.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/20/2014 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Proto-12
Peon

I've double checked the cables beforehand and made sure all were in the correct spot. To be honest though, I don't really know if I cleared the CMOS or not, though I did switch the pins up for such and waited quite a while. (( roughly 10-20 minutes ))

I did have to switch up where the GPU lay before though, since the first PCIE 2.0 slot didn't fit in correctly from the case. That was after I had turned it on, so I shut it completly down and switched where it was located, but I still get the same error message.

After this was when I cleared the CMOS, but as of now nothing is still working.

02/20/2014 09:38 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Is your mobo BIOS updated to run the new CPU?

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/20/2014 10:13 PM

Author Icon
Proto-12
Peon

Yes it is I believe, since it's suited mainly for the FM2+ sockets. It can support FM2 though.

02/20/2014 10:25 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Maybe the mobo is shorting out on your PC case. You should be able to remove the mobo, set it on a non-conductive surface like the box it came in and then connect all the cables and try it out of the PC case to see if it works.

02/20/2014 10:37 PM

Author Icon
Proto-12
Peon

I was thinking of doing that, basically just hook up the power button from my case but lay the motherboard out on the box. The only thing touching the mobo though would be the standoffs, but we'll still try it.

It could also just be a bad BIOS chip, but who knows?

02/21/2014 01:34 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It's very easy to get the little wires for the system panel header mixed as mobo makers use different layouts. Make sure they are all plugged on to the correct terminals. Does the CPU fan run when you power on?

02/21/2014 02:54 AM

Author Icon
Proto-12
Peon

I went by the motherboard manual to ensure everything's been plugged into the right place. Yes actually, the fan runs at its regular speed with the rest of the case fans doing so as well.

Update actually: I left it running for quite some time, and I was able to press the power button instead of holding it to shut it down. That shows a good sign, not to mention that when I turn it on, instead of 5 beeps, it gives me none with no display again.

So now i've concluded it isn't the processor! Which is wonderful, because I love and trust AMD a lot.

My friend who is the one who taught me how to build computers and I are going to be disassembling the entire computer, then rebuilding it IF it passes that one thing you told me to do, where I take out the motherboard and test it on the box it came on first.

Statistics
84141 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.