Topic Title: FX 8320 overheating all of a sudden (No OC)
Topic Summary: Only on Load - causing shutdown
Created On: 02/21/2014 01:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2014 01:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Hi everyone. I recently built a PC for a friend with the following specs:

Thermaltake Commander MS-I
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Thermaltake Berlin 630W
AMD FX 8320
Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda
LG GH24NSB0 Masterizzatore DVD-RW
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9
Sapphire 11217-01-20G

Everything seemed fine until my friend tried to stress it just a bit with a game. Then the nightmare begun. As soon as the game starts (in the example The sisms 3) the temp goes up a lot, reaching 60c. Then, if he tries to stress it a bit going past the welcome screen (just an example for when it gets stressed a bit more) it overheats so much that the pc shuts down.

I used easy tune 6 to get the following info

This was idle, then I had to use hwmonitor to see what happened in game (et6 was not starting anymore for some reason)

If I try going past that screen, and load more data, the temp goes up till the pc shuts down, as I mentioned above.

All fans are working, and the heatsink is tightly sitting on the cpu/motherboard. Thermal compound was already on it so I left it as it was.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Edited: 02/21/2014 at 01:37 PM by CHernabog
 02/21/2014 02:44 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Go into the BIOS and set the fan speed to 100% for the CPU. Most new BIOS IME set the fan speed lower for noise and the PC builder needs to raise it to 100% for 8-core CPUs. You should be able to hear the fan ramp up in speed as more load is applied. The heatsink should be warm to hot at it's base under load if it's properly contacting the CPU heatspreader. You need to keep the CPU core temp at or below 61C under full load.

Use CPU-Z or perhaps the BIOS readout to see what the default vcore volttage is for your CPU as it varies by how it was binned. Next use OCCT or similar software to monitor the vcore voltage when the CPU goes from idle to heavy load. If the vcore substantially increases above the default vcore voltage you can try adjusting Load Line Compensation (LLC), to maintain the vcore as close as possible to the default setting when under load. Many mobos over-volt 8-core CPUs under heavy load and this causes them to run hot.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/21/2014 at 02:51 PM by AMDforMe
 02/21/2014 03:25 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Thanks for your help. I will try OCCT in a second. How and where can I adjust LLC? From BIOS? SOrry I'm dealing with this for the first time and I'm kinda newbie

02/21/2014 05:46 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Yes LLC is a BIOS adjustment. Unfortunately the mobo makers are NOT consistent in how they design this power control and the way it's labeled in the BIOS doesn't always produce the results you would expect. Thus the only means to tell which LLC setting - 25, 50, 75 or 100% works best to hold the vcore as close as possible to the default vcore spec UNDER LOAD, is the one you'll want to use.

If you see a significant rise in vcore under load with OCCT then an LLC adjustment may help as other folks have seen the vcore jump up to 1.45+ V under load, which should never happen with a non-OC'd FX-8xxx series CPU.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/21/2014 07:32 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

I wasn't able to locate llc so far. I noticed the voltage was automatically set to 1.356, so I manually lowered to 1.28. Now it's running at 1.28, always. No problem with the game, but after a while of OCCT it jumps up to 65C, without rebooting. Seems like voltage is my issue, should I lower it further? Clock speed on occt was 3500

02/21/2014 07:55 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Found the loadline calibration. Should I reduce it from 100?

Also, is it a big problem is I manually set the vcore to 1.28? It's always like that now, even on idle (was 0.9 previously)

02/21/2014 09:13 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

I find it strange that the voltages are low. Are these being read right?
+3.3V = ~2.0V
+5.0V = ~3.4V
+12.0V = ~8.0V

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

02/21/2014 09:14 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

HWmonitor might be wrong, other people complained about it. They look like on easytune inside OCCT

02/21/2014 09:43 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

1.28v vcore might be too low but you can try it to see if the temps stay reasonable. You'll probably need to set it close to the original default of 1.362v for 100% stability but at least you can see if the change in vcore is eliminates the overheating under load.

You'll need to run some load tests with LLC set at each percentage to see which one holds it closest to the 1.28v manual setting when under load. Which ever setting keeps it the closest to 1.28v under load is the one you want to use.

When you manually set the vcore voltage it is fixed regardless of the load in a properly functioning system. If you can sort out the heating issue then you can see about going back to "auto" to allow the CPU to dynamically change the vcore based on temp and load. The "auto" vcore setting as well as the "auto" LLC setting can both cause over-volting on 8-core AMD CPUs, IME.

I'd suggest the applet Core Temp to get fair accurate core temp readouts.

02/21/2014 10:04 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Thanks for your help!

I'll run some tests now. In the meantime, I noticed that it doesn't heat up anymore if voltage is reasonable, say, 1.30 and no more. It still does heat up using OCCT for now (65C max) thought, I might have a look at the thermal compound as well as soon as I get some

02/22/2014 01:57 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Glad to help when I can.

The OE AMD TIM is fine. Any of the top ~25 TIMs are within 2 degrees C. Some folks get all hung up on TIM marketing hype when the AMD OEM and any of the top 25 TIMs work just fine. The cheap stuff at Radio Shack however is very poor so that isn't something you'd want to use except in an emergency.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

Edited: 02/22/2014 at 04:28 AM by AMDforMe
 02/22/2014 04:15 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Go with ArcticSilver 5 along with some ArctiClean. Inexpensive yet powerful. However the system should NOT overheat with stock (Auto) settings. Make sure you are using BIOS F1.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/22/2014 09:01 AM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Using core temp I got a significant loaad tempdrop from 64/65 to max 58 by reducing voltage to 1.26 and setting llc to low. System seems stable.

However, both easy tune 6 and HWmonitor still read 64, weird. Il coretemp better for taking the cpu's real temperature?

I want to point out that the system now stays cool (about 48 in h2m, 33 in coretemp) when playing a game, and only runs the fan at full speed when stressed with OCCT

@black_zion: what do you mean by f1?

02/22/2014 11:03 AM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

DId some other tests.

After being under load, it seems like it freezes if I leave a defined voltage set when going back to idle

It tried with 1.26, 1.28, 1.30 (and this last one already lead to higher temps).

I"m bugged, does it freeze because it should go back to .9 when idle?

I also tried setting llc back to auto but it still freezes.

It only happens AFTER the stress test, seems stable while doing it

Ideas?

02/22/2014 03:01 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

BIOS Version F1.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/22/2014 03:36 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Yes, bios is f1

What does the llc do exactly?

02/22/2014 05:38 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

LLC tries to hold the vcore voltage stable at the preset voltage when the CPU is under heavy load and requires maximum electrical power.

Core Temp reads the actual CPU core temp where as other programs often read the thermister mounted below the CPU socket which typically runs 10C-25C higher than the core temp depending on the CPU load and duration.

You should be able to run your CPU at the default 1.362v without core temp exceeding 61C if you have reasonable ambient room temperature and proper case airflow. The LLC setting is designed to try and hold the vcore voltage to the 1.362 setting. Do you have good airflow thru your PC case? Is your room temp very high?

You may have a bad mobo or BIOS? The LLC setting should have no effect on returning to idle. No the CPU doesn't have to return to .9v at idle. The CPU can run a fixed 1.362v at any load without issue.

Did you find any of the LLC settings that held the vcore voltage very close to what you set it when you tested with a game or stress test? It sounds like the vcore is over-voltaing and causing the CPU to run hot from what you are reporting but it's not totally clear at this point. 

Use OCCT to record the vcore voltage change under stress testing to see how much change there is. This will give you a better idea if there is a BIOS or mobo issue.

Edited: 02/22/2014 at 07:41 PM by AMDforMe
 02/22/2014 08:28 PM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Thank you so much for your patience!

Okay, I think I understand the situation. Now, at the state of things, I can keep the cpu (coreTemp) below 61C only if I keep the voltage at 1.28. The system seems stable, crashes were probably caused by the dozens of temp checking programs running (coretemp, prime95/occt, hwmonitor, easytune6)

RUnning several stress tests as low as 1.26 with prime96 shows satisfying results and stability so far. If I go over 1.30 it gets hotter (64)

I believe mobo and bios are okay, everything is brand new! The voltage stays identical with the auto LLC setting if I manually set it (at 1.26, or 1.28, or whatever)

Question: is there any problem in running it at 1.28 if the system is stable? any impact on performance? Will the cpu corrupt in terms  of voltages/stability in the long term?

02/22/2014 09:46 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There is nothing wrong with running your CPU at 1.28v vcore as long as it will run stable at that voltage. However if the original default voltage was 1.362v it's unlikely your CPU will run at full speed under high stress loads without issue unless something "magic" happened inside the CPU.

You can certainly give it a try and see how it goes. If it runs at full speed without issues then enjoy. If not then there could be a mobo, BIOS or CPU issue that you'll eventually need to address.

02/24/2014 04:17 AM

Author Icon
CHernabog
Peon

Okay! Thanks a lot!

I've left it to 1.26 for now and despite being really low everything runs fine for the time being. I will re-summon the post in case it crashes again!

Statistics
86445 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.