Topic Title: Planning on Building a Gaming rig
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/23/2014 02:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2014 02:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thame0200
Peon

Alright so I am looking at parts to build a gaming rig. Here is where I am so far.

Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS.

CPU -AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11Q-32GZM

GPU - SAPPHIRE DUAL-X OC 11221-00-20G Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support UEFI BIOS Support Video Card

HDD - Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive ( x2)

PSU - Gamer Series 980W ATX12V/EPS12V PCI-E Computer Power Supply

I have not picked out a case yet. if you have any suggestions please let me know. I am wanting to set up a Liquid cooling System havnt picked that out either.
1. The Mobo SLI/Crossfire X is there any advantages of using 2 different cards to utilize both? EX: gtx 770 + a R9 series? Or would it be better to just stick to a Dual card like I have thats Crossfire only?
2.Feel free to let me know of any suggestions you might make to alter this list.
I don't know, I feel like this system MIGHT be kind of rediculous... but to be honest I am looking to build a High end system that I won't have to upgrade for a while. Think this so far is fitting the bill?
 ( Note I am a noob at this. I only built 1 AMD Athlon PC years ago ) Personally I am looking at this as not only a sweet system to own, But have some fun putting it all together as well. 
Thanks for your replies.
 02/23/2014 02:44 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Let's see...Take that RAM and reduce it by half or a quarter, 8GB is plenty fine, and you will see no benefit of getting 32GB. Take that HDD and throw it out the window and get a 128GB SSD for your system drive, and either a 2TB Hybrid Drive for everything else or a 256GB SSD for your games and a 3-4TB drive for your media files. Take that power supply and blow it apart with a shotgun and get something made by SeaSonic or Enermax (includes Corsair, Sapphire, XFX, and PC P&C) in the 750w-850w range. As far as cases go, I love my Antec 1200, though since you are going to go liquid you might look at something a bit smaller, like the Antec 900 or CoolerMaster Storm. No you cannot mix AMD and nVidia graphics cards in a Crossfire arrangement. The 280X is not a dual GPU card.

You might want to rethink going liquid, as closed loop liquid CPU coolers are inexpensive, powerful, quiet, and bolt right to a single (or dual) 120MM case fan mounts. Liquid cooling for graphics cards is significantly more expensive.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/23/2014 02:44 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

A couple points worth considering...

1. You definitely don't need 32GB of RAM and probably would never see any benefit to more than 16GB unless you have some specific CAD, modeling, video editing, etc. type software.

2. The Gamer Series PSU is a low quality PSU that is not recommend by me for heavy duty use. You'll need a quality PSU for a heavy gaming system such as the Seasonic link below. You could cut the RAM to 16GB and use the money towards a quality PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105

If a PSU doesn't have an excellent review rating by JonnyGuru or Hardware Secrets you should pick a different PSU, IME and that of many other PC enthusiasts. A cheap price is reflective of a poor quality PSU.

As far as H2O cooling is concerned I always recommend against it because objective scientific testing has documented that it is thermally inefficient, noisy and expensive compared to equal or better quality HSFs. The worst problem with H2O systems however is that they leak and when they leak they can short circuit your PC hardware and burn it up. If you look around the web you'll find pictures of PC cases that have caught on fire from H2O leaks. Just imagine what might happen if your house were to burn down as a result of a H2O leak in your PC.

I suggest technically educating yourself on the pros and cons on H2O coolers along with the liabilities. If after that you still want to use H2O cooling, at least you know what the consequences of your decision entail and the risk involved.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/23/2014 at 02:56 PM by AMDforMe
 02/24/2014 04:26 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

As it was said already, 32 might be a bit too much. 8 is enough, 16 is recommended.

I would use either FSP or Seasonic power supply. A lot less wattage, too.

I'd definitely include an SSD, at least 200 GB for system and loading-heavy games.

I wouldn't put water cooling in any PC built by myself as I don't see any practical benefits of it, but if you're informed about all the pros and cons, go ahead, it's not like people can't have cool looking stuff (pun not intended) in their PCs.

And lastly but probably most importantly, I wouldn't use an outdated platform like AM3+. I'm thinking about building a new rig for games myself and I've waited for like two years for AMD to come up with something new usable for games, they didn't and I can't recommend Vishera for anything really, especially if you want the PC to last.

Using an apostrophe to make plural is dumb, stop doing that and go get some education instead. If you misuse apostrophes like that, you need education.

02/24/2014 08:38 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Actually the Vishera CPUs are quite capable and they OC well. It's all a matter of choice. With Intel you usually need to buy a new mobo with each new CPU unlike with AMD. Socket AM3+ is EOL in Q1 of '15 but FX processors will still be available.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/24/2014 09:56 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Actually the Vishera CPUs are quite capable and they OC well. It's all a matter of choice. With Intel you usually need to buy a new mobo with each new CPU unlike with AMD. Socket AM3+ is EOL in Q1 of '15 but FX processors will still be available.

They aren't capable enough to be considered a good CPU to a gaming PC, which is supposed to last a while, especially with the new consoles in mind. Hell, the 8350 can barely run games like Planetside 2 at the highest settings.

Argument about socket isn't relevant, this socket is outdated already, there is no way he/she will be albe to buy a new, better CPU for the same socket in two years (excluding the 220W 9000 series).

Using an apostrophe to make plural is dumb, stop doing that and go get some education instead. If you misuse apostrophes like that, you need education.

02/24/2014 12:32 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

That's YOUR opinion and not necessarily the OPs or other people's opinion. He specifically selected AMD and if that's what he wants, then it's his choice, not yours. He didn't ask if Intel was faster or better in your opinion.

02/24/2014 04:59 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Argument about socket isn't relevant, this socket is outdated already, there is no way he/she will be albe to buy a new, better CPU for the same socket in two years (excluding the 220W 9000 series).

AMD has had Socket AM3 (as AM3+ is backwards compatible to AM3 boards given proper BIOS support) for 5 years when in that time Intel has had multiple sockets...

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/25/2014 02:34 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe That's YOUR opinion

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/6

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2013/10/bf4/charts/bf4_cpu_radeon.png

http://hardwarepal.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Assassins-Creed-IV-cpu-benchmarks.jpg

It's a bit better in CryEngine  games though.

FX-8350 is 125W TDP, i5-4670K is 84W TDP

You totally remind me of http://youtu.be/SzHHZ5oXAr0?t=26s

Originally posted by: AMDforMe  He didn't ask if Intel was faster or better in your opinion.

2.Feel free to let me know of any suggestions you might make to alter this list. 

Anything else?

02/25/2014 08:15 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Attempting to mislead the OP with absurd claims that you need to use an Intel CPU to run games properly at high settings is not only false it's technically. Using a specific game that you know is CPU intensive to illustrate your bias doesn't make your statement accurate of the FX-8350's performance. If the OP wants to see objective FX-8350 game performance their are tons of FX-8350 reviews online from reputable sources showing the FX-8350 runs these games just fine.

02/25/2014 08:32 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Couple of things:

1) CPU vs GPU limited resolutions. Nobody in their right mind would use a 290X, or a 290, to game at 1920x1080, they are intended for triple 1920x1080 displays in Eyefinity.
2) Different methods of rating TDP. Intel rates on the average that a CPU will consume, while AMD rates for the peak theoretical a processor can consume.

02/25/2014 08:35 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Attempting to mislead the OP with absurd claims that you need to use an Intel CPU to run games properly at high settings is not only false it's technically. Using a specific game that you know is CPU intensive to illustrate your bias doesn't make your statement accurate of the FX-8350's performance. If the OP wants to see objective FX-8350 game performance their are tons of FX-8350 reviews online from reputable sources showing the FX-8350 runs these games just fine.

Its not an absurd claim. Its a completely accurate one. Its not false in *any* sense of the imagination. 

The fact of the matter is games are not optimised for AMD CPU's period. This is proven by *EVERY* reputable site. There is a reason the FX series CPUs are *NEVER* recommended by *ANY* reputable gaming website. (except a few cheap ones and even those may be pushed off by now)  

There are very few game engines in which any FX CPU will hold a candle to an intel one. 

The fact that console ports are CPU intense is an obvious clue. There is no need to cherry pick games. The fact is this. Do you want a CPU that will handle select games fine. Or do you want one that handles them all equally. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328.html

And pretty much every other gaming website looks pretty similar. There's a reason my 990FX motherboard is sitting in a HTPC now. Because when it came to playing the games I played. It was garbage. There was nothing the 8350 could do that my I5 couldn't do better.

The playing field didn't even start to get close until eyefinity But even still. Why would I want a CPU that does less work at the same clock speed and comsumes almost twice the power. 

Now I will say this. *very* few games actually handle an AMD CPU "well" I suppose I would call it. Those that do, there isn't that much a difference on modern titles as the GPU matters so much more then the CPU once you hit high resolutions.

But with AMD being in both consoles now. I would imagine we should see the gaming playing field level out eventually. But thats going to take 3 or 4 more years of development and some blockbuster titles to even make an AMD CPU relevant in a gaming situation.

And thats assuming that the developers who port there games from the PS4/Xbox1 will actually keep that CPU optimzation.

And this is coming from someone who has used AMD CPUs as my only choice as far back as I can remember.

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

Edited: 02/25/2014 at 08:48 PM by Vantharas
 02/25/2014 11:43 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The fact is the OP has chosen to build an AMD powered system and it's his choice. He didn't ask if Intel was better. There are countless FX-8350 reviews that show it runs all popular games just fine. The fact that some games are more CPU intensive does not mean they don't run fine on FX-8350 CPUs because they do. They might not run on ultra settings but he didn't ask about that. We don't even know if the OP cares about running the CPU intensive games at all but to suggest that you need an Intel CPU to run games with high settings is completely false.

In addition people buy products for a variety of reasons including costs. Perhaps the OP doesn't like Intel's exploitation pricing? Or perhaps the OP has a moral compass and doesn't want to support a criminal company who has been convicted on three continents for their violations of law, threats, bribes and intimidation in an effort to prevent consumers from buying AMD products. Or maybe the OP doesn't want to financially support an unscrupulous criminal company like Intel who has been prosecuted multiple times for U.S. tax fraud? The fact is there are lots of legitimate reasons to not buy Intel and the OP didn't ask about an Intel gaming PC.

It's pretty likely that the OP posted his game build questions in the AMD forum and not the Intel forum because he wanted advice on an AMD powered system NOT a bunch of false claims that you need an Intel CPU to run games at high settings.

02/26/2014 06:56 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Attempting to mislead the OP with absurd claims that you need to use an Intel CPU to run games properly at high settings is not only false it's technically.

Well, good thing I've never claimed such a thing then, right? All I say is that the old FX-8350 (more than a year)  on an old platform (more than two years?) will most likely run out of breath considerably sooner than for example i5-4670K. Unlike you, I'm taking into account two things: OP wants suggestions and OP wants the rig to last a while.

Plus the current situation seems to be that AMD doesn't care about high-end gaming anymore, which annoys me to no end. It's just Kaveri, Carrizo and all other APUs with medicore CPU power.

So please, stop your fanatic raging.

Originally posted by: Vantharas And this is coming from someone who has used AMD CPUs as my only choice as far back as I can remember.

You too, eh? So what would you do if you wanted to build a new high-end gaming rig?

Originally posted by: black_zion Couple of things: 1) CPU vs GPU limited resolutions. Nobody in their right mind would use a 290X, or a 290, to game at 1920x1080, they are intended for triple 1920x1080 displays in Eyefinity. 2) Different methods of rating TDP. Intel rates on the average that a CPU will consume, while AMD rates for the peak theoretical a processor can consume.

I dare you to try running Star Citizen on Eyefinity. Plus I'm pretty sure that if they were intended specifically for eyefinity, all of them would come with 3 HDMI ports. (they don't).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that different TDP measurement (though it was pretty long time ago) do you have some up-to-date charts/tests that would support it? I can't seem to find anything

02/26/2014 09:36 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

Originally posted by: thame0200 Alright so I am looking at parts to build a gaming rig. Here is where I am so far.

Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS.

CPU -AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11Q-32GZM

GPU - SAPPHIRE DUAL-X OC 11221-00-20G Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support UEFI BIOS Support Video Card

HDD - Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive ( x2)

PSU - Gamer Series 980W ATX12V/EPS12V PCI-E Computer Power Supply

I have not picked out a case yet. if you have any suggestions please let me know. I am wanting to set up a Liquid cooling System havnt picked that out either.
1. The Mobo SLI/Crossfire X is there any advantages of using 2 different cards to utilize both? EX: gtx 770 + a R9 series? Or would it be better to just stick to a Dual card like I have thats Crossfire only?
I don't know, I feel like this system MIGHT be kind of rediculous... but to be honest I am looking to build a High end system that I won't have to upgrade for a while. Think this so far is fitting the bill?
 ( Note I am a noob at this. I only built 1 AMD Athlon PC years ago ) Personally I am looking at this as not only a sweet system to own, But have some fun putting it all together as well. 
Thanks for your replies.

I have 8 GB of RAM, never been a problem

I use Corsair chassis and PSU, respectable in my opinion

As for graphics, the R9 280 is decent, you need 650W for one GPU, 850W for 2 of them

http://hardcore-games.azurewebsites.net/wp/hw/psu.php

Statistics
84888 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.