Topic Title: AMD 9590 CPU help
Topic Summary: I need help understanding my CPU
Created On: 02/24/2014 10:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/24/2014 10:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

I am aware this maybe the wrong place to post this and apologize first if it is. I purchased one of the AMD 9590 CPU for myself and a gaming rig in progress, i got it as a bundle from Newegg with a ASUS sabertooth 990fx MOBO. I have a corsair CX 750w PSU 16g of Corsair Vengenance 1600 ram cooled by a Corsair H100 and am using windows 8.1 OS. I have posted this issue many many times before at other sites i go to much more often and get nothing for help only fan boys that like to down talk the CPU. I personally like AMD and need help getting a problem fixed so I'm hoping this time around it will be slightly different. 

Now for the problem (and i'm inclined to think it might be a cooling issue) from a cold start the computer will boot and load just fine and it will happily idle but as soon as i launch a game or even log in for work the system freezes. It doesn't shut down the display, it stays on the screen and it doesn't go away. the fans will pitch and then slow down then go back and it does this as long as i leave it there. I've found a solution for this by opening the Asus SUITE II and dialing the CPU Ratio from 4.7mhz to 4.4mhz or 4.5mhz and then i can play games and work and it runs just fine, but i didn't get it for that. I have used 3 software suites 2 of which came w/ the MOBO to track the heat and yes it gets hot but it doesn't go ver 59-60c before shutting down and i didn't change any settings in UEFI. I've taken it to Tigerdirect retail stores and had a 24hr pc test run, everthing came back as working fine. 

Any help is so greatly apperciated!

02/24/2014 11:02 AM

Author Icon
Aoyagi
Peon

Ew, Corsair PSU. What's its partnumber? Some of them are made by really obscure OEMs.

Did you log the temps of GPU and CPU? What if you run Furmark? Memtest?

-------------------------

Using an apostrophe to make plural is dumb, stop doing that and go get some education instead. If you misuse apostrophes like that, you need education.

02/24/2014 11:35 AM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

Try updating the BIOS.

Asus just added that cpu to the sabertooth's cpu support list not to long ago.

What version of the sabertooth 990FX are you using?

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

02/24/2014 12:29 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There could be many possible causes of the freezing problem. I'd suggest using OCCT to record the core temp and voltages to get some idea what is happening. You'd probably want to start with the 4.4 GHz. if that is stable, so you can see where things are at. This may indicate if you have for instance a vcore, PSU, temp or voltage issue. You can use OCCT's stress test as it's pretty good but not quite as tough as Prime95.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/24/2014 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

i knew i should have logged the temps but i did not and the two memtest i did at home were good and the store also said they were good haven't used furmark

02/24/2014 12:55 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

02/24/2014 12:57 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe There could be many possible causes of the freezing problem. I'd suggest using OCCT to record the core temp and voltages to get some idea what is happening. You'd probably want to start with the 4.4 GHz. if that is stable, so you can see where things are at. This may indicate if you have for instance a vcore, PSU, temp or voltage issue. You can use OCCT's stress test as it's pretty good but not quite as tough as Prime95.

can you give me some more info on where to get these tools?

02/24/2014 04:03 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Here's the link to the OCCT website and software.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/software

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/24/2014 04:51 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Modern AMD CPUs tend to get a bit iffy at 55-60°C, but a Corsair H100 should be able to keep it cooler than that. My Corsair H60 is able to keep my 8350 at 4.6ghz at or below 55°C. But Slayerx is right, have you updated the BIOS to the latest available?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/24/2014 04:52 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Here's the link to the OCCT website and software.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/software

Alright so what should i be looking for here in reference to my particular situation? Any specifics would be awesome

02/24/2014 06:07 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

I am attempting to do the BIOS update now, however, I've never done one before so i'm nervous...

02/24/2014 07:14 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

With ASUS boards you can update it through BIOS from a file on a USB drive (NEVER DO IT THROUGH WINDOWS.)

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/24/2014 08:54 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There are a couple things to look for. One you want to see if the vcore is steady when you go from light loads to heavy. Two you want to see if the CPU core temp spikes above 61C under heavy load. Three you want to see if your PSU is able to maintain 12v +/- 5% under heavy load. Next you want to see if after under heavy load such as stress testing for awhile the CPU frequency drops to 1400 MHz. and the vcore drops to .875v. If it does then the VRM circuit is over heating and throttling the CPU.

Many times the AM3+ mobos over or under volt the CPU with "auto" settings of the vcore and Load Line Conditioning (LLC), when run under heavy load. The graphs from OCCT will give us an idea how things are looking under heavy load which is what happens when you try to load a game, stress test, etc. If all is good at 4.4 GHz. but the voltages or temps go whacko at higher frequencies, then you'll have an idea what needs to be addressed.

Extensive testing of the Vishera FX CPUs show they are rock solid up to the mid 60C range in my testing unlike Phenom II CPUs which generally preferred to stay at or below 55C. You should not have any issues with your CPU running at 61C which is the AMD specified max 24/7 temp for the FX-8000 series. No official max temp has been posted for the FX-9000 but with the higher vcore voltage you know it's going to run close to 61C under load.

There are a number of good HSFs that can handle the FX-9xxx series CPUs. Extensive independent objective scientific testing shows that the Corsair H series and similar other brands are quite inferior to many cheaper HSFs. In fact there are over 100 HSFs some costing half the price, that are superior to the H60. This is documented.

The H60 may not be able to cool the FX-9590 properly as it has a 1.5v vcore by default. The H100 should be able to just cool the FX-9590 even though it's a poor cooler and it has a serious water-leak liability like all H2O coolers. The OCCT graphs should tell us how hot the CPU is running under load.

Many people OC their FX-8350's to 4.4-4.6 GHz. with close to the stock vcore but these systems are often only 85-90% Prime95 stable. To get these systems 100% stable the vcore usually needs to be in the ~1.43v range which generates a lot more heat than the ~1.35v OE vcore. I'm running a OC'd FX-8350 at 1.462v @ 4.6 GHz. with the Aegir SD128264 and it stays below 61C in a 25 hour P95 stress test.

Report back after your BIOS update and testing. we might be able to help you adjust the BIOS settings to get a 100% stable FX-9590 system.

Edited: 02/24/2014 at 09:08 PM by AMDforMe
 02/24/2014 09:28 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Originally posted by: Aoyagi Ew, Corsair PSU. What's its partnumber? Some of them are made by really obscure OEMs.

Did you log the temps of GPU and CPU? What if you run Furmark? Memtest?

http://www.thelab.gr/power-supplies-reviews/corsair-cx-series-750w-114364.html?garpg=8

Absolutly nothing wrong with that power supply. 

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

02/24/2014 10:32 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe There are a couple things to look for. One you want to see if the vcore is steady when you go from light loads to heavy. Two you want to see if the CPU core temp spikes above 61C under heavy load. Three you want to see if your PSU is able to maintain 12v +/- 5% under heavy load. Next you want to see if after under heavy load such as stress testing for awhile the CPU frequency drops to 1400 MHz. and the vcore drops to .875v. If it does then the VRM circuit is over heating and throttling the CPU.

Many times the AM3+ mobos over or under volt the CPU with "auto" settings of the vcore and Load Line Conditioning (LLC), when run under heavy load. The graphs from OCCT will give us an idea how things are looking under heavy load which is what happens when you try to load a game, stress test, etc. If all is good at 4.4 GHz. but the voltages or temps go whacko at higher frequencies, then you'll have an idea what needs to be addressed.

Extensive testing of the Vishera FX CPUs show they are rock solid up to the mid 60C range in my testing unlike Phenom II CPUs which generally preferred to stay at or below 55C. You should not have any issues with your CPU running at 61C which is the AMD specified max 24/7 temp for the FX-8000 series. No official max temp has been posted for the FX-9000 but with the higher vcore voltage you know it's going to run close to 61C under load.

There are a number of good HSFs that can handle the FX-9xxx series CPUs. Extensive independent objective scientific testing shows that the Corsair H series and similar other brands are quite inferior to many cheaper HSFs. In fact there are over 100 HSFs some costing half the price, that are superior to the H60. This is documented.

The H60 may not be able to cool the FX-9590 properly as it has a 1.5v vcore by default. The H100 should be able to just cool the FX-9590 even though it's a poor cooler and it has a serious water-leak liability like all H2O coolers. The OCCT graphs should tell us how hot the CPU is running under load.

Many people OC their FX-8350's to 4.4-4.6 GHz. with close to the stock vcore but these systems are often only 85-90% Prime95 stable. To get these systems 100% stable the vcore usually needs to be in the ~1.43v range which generates a lot more heat than the ~1.35v OE vcore. I'm running a OC'd FX-8350 at 1.462v @ 4.6 GHz. with the Aegir SD128264 and it stays below 61C in a 25 hour P95 stress test.

Report back after your BIOS update and testing. we might be able to help you adjust the BIOS settings to get a 100% stable FX-9590 system.

This is the best post i've ever received, I am running the OCCT tests now and it is recording temps already at 68c running at 4.4mhz i'm thinking about shutting the test off before it hits 70c to avoid any possible damage to my CPU. 

02/24/2014 10:34 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Is there a way to get the organize the data recording from the OCCT so I can post it here to be read here?

02/25/2014 12:07 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I haven't actually posted any data here but I think you could take the OCCT screen shots or maybe use a snipping tool (.png files) and use the "insert/edit" link in the message area to include these in your post.

From what you're saying it sounds like the CPU is overheating even at 4.4 GHz.  

Don't run the CPU up to 70C as it's not good for it.

02/25/2014 10:27 AM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe I haven't actually posted any data here but I think you could take the OCCT screen shots or maybe use a snipping tool (.png files) and use the "insert/edit" link in the message area to include these in your post.

From what you're saying it sounds like the CPU is overheating even at 4.4 GHz.  

Don't run the CPU up to 70C as it's not good for it.

ok i didn't respond last night because it was late, sorry. I have the images from the 10min + test i did run. Are there any i can skip or do you want them all?

02/25/2014 11:34 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Assuming that you are sure that your cooler is properly mounted to the CPU and that the fans are blowing in the correct direction on the rads and that they are running at 100% in BIOS and they ramp up as the load increases, then the first thing I'd do is look at the vcore voltage and see if it is 1.5v and if it stays at 1.5v when the system is under heavy load. If the vcore is higher than 1.5v then manually set it to 1.5v and test again. If the vcore is 1.5v and it increase more than say ~.015v under load then I'd try adjusting the LLC to see if you can find a setting that will hold it closer to 1.5v under load.

You may be running into a similar situation that another forum member experienced with an FX-8320 where his mobo appears to be supplying a higher vcore voltage than indicated. As a result he had to lower his vcore to 1.28v even though it should be set to 1.362v. Some of the AM3+ mobos seem to go crazy with the heavy power required for the 8-core FX processors.

Sorting your system out is likely to be a step by step process.

02/25/2014 12:02 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Assuming that you are sure that your cooler is properly mounted to the CPU and that the fans are blowing in the correct direction on the rads and that they are running at 100% in BIOS and they ramp up as the load increases, then the first thing I'd do is look at the vcore voltage and see if it is 1.5v and if it stays at 1.5v when the system is under heavy load. If the vcore is higher than 1.5v then manually set it to 1.5v and test again. If the vcore is 1.5v and it increase more than say ~.015v under load then I'd try adjusting the LLC to see if you can find a setting that will hold it closer to 1.5v under load.

You may be running into a similar situation that another forum member experienced with an FX-8320 where his mobo appears to be supplying a higher vcore voltage than indicated. As a result he had to lower his vcore to 1.28v even though it should be set to 1.362v. Some of the AM3+ mobos seem to go crazy with the heavy power required for the 8-core FX processors.

Sorting your system out is likely to be a step by step process.

i can't get the link to the photobucket gallery to work

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/stephenjakakas82/library/

Edited: 02/25/2014 at 12:09 PM by Infernal
AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » AMD 9590 CPU help

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84143 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.