Topic Title: AMD 9590 CPU help
Topic Summary: I need help understanding my CPU
Created On: 02/24/2014 10:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/25/2014 12:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

And in reference to the the Vcore i haven't monitored with the OCCT just yet (will do after work as i work from home) but with the ASUS AI suite II that comes with the MOBO i can definintely say that the Vcore bounces around a lot. It will go from .88 to 1.512 to 1.248 and I've notice a lot of the time when I let it happen by not changing the CPU ratio to 4400mhz that the vcore -1 temp goes way up close to 70c before it freezes.

02/25/2014 03:15 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

In auto mode the vcore will bounce all around but once you're under heavy load like with the OCCT or P95 stress test it should be pretty steady at it's max vcore which is normally 1.5v on the FX-9590.

You might have to work "backwards" and find the lowest vcore where it runs without overheating or crashing while allowing a 5.0 GHz. frequency - if possible.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/25/2014 04:24 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe In auto mode the vcore will bounce all around but once you're under heavy load like with the OCCT or P95 stress test it should be pretty steady at it's max vcore which is normally 1.5v on the FX-9590.

You might have to work "backwards" and find the lowest vcore where it runs without overheating or crashing while allowing a 5.0 GHz. frequency - if possible.

I have updated the UEFI BIOS to ver 2104 I am sure the cooler is mounted firmly and correctly, the fans i have pulling air out over the radiator away from the heat source instead of pushing air in. The case is a Corsair 600T i have two 240 fans one on the front on on the side and the standard 120 on the back. The CPU has been doing as you say fluxing with the Vcore when its just sitting idle but when i start the OCCT test it stays right around 1.4-1.5 that i can see on the tool. It gets pretty hot 65c + when running the test i keep lowering the auto shut off so not to cause any damage. I have been adjusting the Vcore to dial it in but with no success, as soon as i put the cpu to its default OS speed of 4.7 nevermind trying anything faster everything freezes. I took a picture of it with my cell phone, the temp hadn't even hit 56c and the Vcore was at 1.4 when it finally froze. While i'm not made of money i am considering getting another cooling system from the retail store and some high end paste and re seating it to the CPU......I am very unclear how to adjust the LLC in the UEFI without having to manually adjust other values

02/25/2014 08:10 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

On some mobos you must go to manually setting the vcore to adjust the LLC. It's a poor design but it is what it is...

You could have multiple issues besides the heat so this may be very frustrating but in the end we might be able to sort it out.

In regards to the radiator fans, I have not checked the latest H100 "fixes" but you might be forced to have the fans blowing on the rads instead of trying to pull air thru the rads. These low static pressure fans used for H2O kits require high fan speed to create enough static pressure to force the air thru the restrictive rads. I'd be surprised to see the normal fans be able to suck enough air thru the rads to cool properly. It's worth changing the fan set-up to see before you spend more money on cooling because you'll need one of the top 5-6 HSFs for a FX-9590.

After you swap the fans and see if things cool better then you could try a couple manual adjustments if you want. Set the CPU frequency to 4.4 GHz., the vcore manually to 1.47v, the CPU-NB to 1.3V, the HT to 1.25v, HT frequency to 2600 MHz., disable Cool and Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo mode and if your running the rad fans off of the CPU fan header make sure the fan speed is set to 100% in the BIOS.

The whole point of adjusting the LLC is to keep the vcore voltage at whatever you set it too manually. The only means to know which LLC setting works best is to stress test and see what OCCT shows for variation.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 02/25/2014 at 11:53 PM by AMDforMe
 02/25/2014 08:31 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe On some mobos you must go to manually setting the vcore to adjust the LLC. It's a poor design but it is what it is...

You could have multiple issues besides the heat so this may be very frustrating but in the end we might be able to sort it out.

In regards to the radiator fans, I have not checked the latest H100 "fixes" but you might be forced to have the fans blowing on the rads instead of trying to pull air thru the rads. These low static pressure fans used for H2O kits require high fan speed to create enough static pressure to force the air thru the restrictive rads. I'd be surprised to see the normal fans be able to suck enough air thru the rads to cool properly. It's worth changing the fan set-up to see before you spend more money on cooling because you'll need one of the top 5-6 HSFs for a FX-9590.

After you swap the fans and see if things cool better then you could try a couple manual adjustments if you want. Set the CPU frequency to 4.4 GHz., the vcore manually to 1.47v, the CPU-NB to 1.3V, the HT to 1.25v, HT frequency to 2600 MHz., disable Cool and Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo mode and if your running the rad fans off of the CPU fan header make sure the fan speed is set to 100% in the BIOS.

The whole point of adjusting the LLC is to keep the vcore voltage at whatever you set it too manually. The only means to know which LLC setting works best is to sress test and see what OCCT shows for variation.

INCREDIBLE advise! Any suggestions on fans i can readily pick up at my local TigerDirect retail store? i'm anxious to put something on there that will increase that airflow, and get to setting the voltage right.

02/25/2014 08:33 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Quit going to TigerDirect and order from Newegg.com. Prices are cheaper, and the selection is wider.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/25/2014 11:50 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

INCREDIBLE advise! Any suggestions on fans i can readily pick up at my local TigerDirect retail store? i'm anxious to put something on there that will increase that airflow, and get to setting the voltage right.

Is there some reason you can't just move the H100 fans to the other side so that they are blowing air at the rads? That's the normal set-up AFAIK. I'd try that to start.

As far as buying new fans it's very difficult to know exactly what the results will be as the fans are not rated the same on static pressure so the ad claims are often meaningless. Without seeing the fan pressure vs. air volume curve you really don't have much chance of finding the right fan which needs both high static pressure and air flow volume. Naturally these fans tend to be louder because they require more fan speed to create the pressure and flow volume. Usually there are folks who have gone thru several models of over-priced fans for H2O coolers before they find some that actually improve the cooling over the OE fans which are not great but they should work even if noisy.

02/26/2014 09:05 AM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe

Is there some reason you can't just move the H100 fans to the other side so that they are blowing air at the rads? That's the normal set-up AFAIK. I'd try that to start.

As far as buying new fans it's very difficult to know exactly what the results will be as the fans are not rated the same on static pressure so the ad claims are often meaningless. Without seeing the fan pressure vs. air volume curve you really don't have much chance of finding the right fan which needs both high static pressure and air flow volume. Naturally these fans tend to be louder because they require more fan speed to create the pressure and flow volume. Usually there are folks who have gone thru several models of over-priced fans for H2O coolers before they find some that actually improve the cooling over the OE fans which are not great but they should work even if noisy.

I'm not very picky when it comes to the fans, I currently have them mounted to the top of the case pulling up and out so this afternoon I am going to flip them over to push down and in. I was doing the read on the CFM and static pressure and came that realization about the claims. Out of curiosity did you get a change to look at the gallery i posted from the first OCCT i ran? Every time i run another OCCT the CPU gets very hot it steadily climbs to 64-65c and will keep going higher if i let it. It also has not been able to run for more than 12 minutes MAX so i'm sure i'm running into a cooling issue and thats at Vcore 1.5 (flat) CPU 4.5ghz the system does not crash or freeze but as soon as i set it to OS spec 4.7 the temp rose to 55c and the Vcore on OCCT was at 1.46v and the display froze. I decided to leave the OCCT up (not monitoring) while i played BF4 at the operating settings and the CPU temp never went over 54c and the Vcore was solid at 1.49v. so i am sure there's a Voltage issue when trying to push it at its stock 4.7ghz i really want this CPU to run at 4.7ghz lol thats why i got. I AM NOT DEFEATED YET! haha 

02/26/2014 09:06 AM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

I was also thinking about investing into the H100i or even the H110 i didn't spend a lot on the H100 i got it from TD for 60 i think as a clearance making room for the new H100i, thoughts?

02/26/2014 10:54 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I would not spend more money on an H2O system at this point if you can reverse the fans and maintain enough cooling. H2O systems are not good for PCs for a lot of reasons the biggest being the water leak liability. If you can get the H100 to cool enough I'd leave it as is because there is only minute additional cooling capacity with the newer models. I think you'll find the fans trying to pull air instead of pushing air is the main cooling issue as these fans don't draw air well at all, they just cavitate.

I did look at the graphs you posted. My main interest was the vcore which varied as you mentioned up to I think 1.52v. The BIOS settings that I recommended should help stability in manual mode which might be required with this CPU and mobo combo. Also if you haven't done so already you should run Memtest86+ v4.2 or V5 overnight if possible to confirm the RAM doesn't have issues. I've seen new brand name RAM fail in as little as a few weeks to a few months.

02/26/2014 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe I would not spend more money on an H2O system at this point if you can reverse the fans and maintain enough cooling. H2O systems are not good for PCs for a lot of reasons the biggest being the water leak liability. If you can get the H100 to cool enough I'd leave it as is because there is only minute additional cooling capacity with the newer models. I think you'll find the fans trying to pull air instead of pushing air is the main cooling issue as these fans don't draw air well at all, they just cavitate.

I did look at the graphs you posted. My main interest was the vcore which varied as you mentioned up to I think 1.52v. The BIOS settings that I recommended should help stability in manual mode which might be required with this CPU and mobo combo. Also if you haven't done so already you should run Memtest86+ v4.2 or V5 overnight if possible to confirm the RAM doesn't have issues. I've seen new brand name RAM fail in as little as a few weeks to a few months.

alright will do and i will follow up with that info on the memtest

03/08/2014 06:23 PM

Author Icon
Infernal
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe I would not spend more money on an H2O system at this point if you can reverse the fans and maintain enough cooling. H2O systems are not good for PCs for a lot of reasons the biggest being the water leak liability. If you can get the H100 to cool enough I'd leave it as is because there is only minute additional cooling capacity with the newer models. I think you'll find the fans trying to pull air instead of pushing air is the main cooling issue as these fans don't draw air well at all, they just cavitate.

Alright to follow up almost a week or two later, i did the settings and adjusted to experiment and i had no improvements beyond replacing the fans. they were cheap 15 ea at the TD and they move a far better volume of air than the stock fans that came with the cooler. But, suddenly, when playing music or watching netflix the sound would start to make....for lack of better description....robotic sounds so i followed up with that. everything was pointing to the cpu and nothing fixed the NEW symptom. This morning i woke up and my pc was on like it usually was (because for some bs reason it would turn itself on after being put to sleep) i noticed there was a CPU red LED light blazing on my mobo. I turned it off restarted no change, turned it off reset CMOS w/ ctlrtc jumper no change. called asus started an RMA for the mobo and aggervatedly went back to the TD store and got a PSU tester which checked out fine. I said SCREW IT and put ANOTHER CPU *8350 on my cc and slapped it in the machine, and it started up FINE! been running OCCT for some time and of course it hasn't given me any problems. I haven't had to adjust anything just let it run. I don't notice MUCH of a difference in the loads except for things like BF4 which took maybe a few seconds more. Otherwise most of the processes and compliation of everything is going just fine. I'm getting in contact w/ AMD to see what options i have and also will call Newegg to do the same. 

As i relax and hope that the next 24hrs are kind to me i wonder what could have gone wrong from the start w/ the hardware, i feel sort of cheated because i know the cpu is functional i know it. i know amd is a solid product and i DO really want it to work.... i must not have the experience i thought i did to build something that strong just yet but i've learned a lot from these posts and want to thank you all. my troubleshooting isn't done yet but at least for now i can not worry about my hardware.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » AMD 9590 CPU help

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84114 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.