Topic Title: AMD FX-8350 hardware failure
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/27/2014 08:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/27/2014 08:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TeddyBeer
Peon

I Have got my AMD FX-8350 now for one year. One time after I reinstalled my windows 7 my screen freezes sometimes and I can totally do nothing with the PC and I must start it again by pressing the power button . I read on the internet that I should test my CPU and RAM with Prime95 stress tester. So i did and after a few sec I start the stress test worker #4 and #7 stoped and the screen freezes and I am forced to reboot with the power button.

Anyone know what to do?

Greetz,

Sander

02/27/2014 08:56 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

First thing I would do is run Memtest86+ V4.2 or V5 to see if the RAM has gone bad. If it passes then you may need to adjust some BIOS settings manually if the mobo isn't adjusting them properly. It's normal for several "workers" to stop working in P95 when all BIOS settings are not correct for 100% stability.

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

03/01/2014 06:45 PM

Author Icon
TeddyBeer
Peon

Okay,

Memtest done no erros. I read you were talking about adjusting the BIOS settings? Any idea how I do this?

Kind regards,

Sander

03/01/2014 07:34 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

What is your mother board? What does CPU-Z show? open 4 instances and take a screen shot like this:

Also open up HWMonitor and with it open, run Prime95 for a minute or so...  enough to grab some min and max values.  Stop Prime95 and take another screen shot of HWMonitor like this:

If your board is like mine and does not have LLC in the BIOS then you will need to do a little work for stability....  but first lets have a look at the data requested.

QB

ps. all screen shots taken with Lightshot....  awesome like app

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

03/01/2014 08:29 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Originally posted by: TeddyBeer Okay,

Memtest done no erros. I read you were talking about adjusting the BIOS settings? Any idea how I do this?

Kind regards,

Sander

Have you checked your CPU core temp when your PC is under stress testing with P95 or OCCT? If the core temps are above 61C under P95 or OCCT your thermal interface material may have dried up and the CPU could be running too hot or the HSF may have come loose.

You should also check your CPU fan speed if the core temp is hot, to see what RPM the fan is running under stress testing/heavy loads. OCCT will record the temps and voltages for you. The fan should speed up under load.

If those are both good I'd look next at the CPU vcore voltage under load to see if it's going high or low. CPU-Z will show you what the default vcore voltage for your CPU is. The FX-8350s are typically in the ~1.35v range. If the vcore is unstable under heavy load this can cause the PC to freeze.

Once we know where things stand on the basics we might have a better idea what is causing the problem.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 11:19 PM by AMDforMe
 03/02/2014 01:20 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

CPU-Z does NOT show what the default CPU voltage is supposed to be...  it reads what voltage is being applied. 

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

03/02/2014 01:10 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

With the BIOS in "auto" vcore mode with a stress load it shows the default vcore voltage = the voltage being applied, which is programmed into the CPU. It's a reference point, that's all to see if the CPU is being under or over-volted.

Edited: 03/02/2014 at 01:25 PM by AMDforMe
 03/02/2014 01:19 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

If the board is recognizing the CPU properly that is.  And what if the voltage being aplied by the BIOS is not actually making it to the CPU due to voltage droop...  Saying that CPU-Z will list the default voltage is not correct and very misleading.  My request for data above will get the info we need to determine many things about his setup and what is going on without misleading statements.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

03/02/2014 01:24 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Lighten up. There is no misleading comments at all, just useful info. We're both trying to help the OP but in a different manner. More info. doesn't always equal better info.

03/02/2014 01:35 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Given the info above of my system, what do you think my BIOS v-core is set to?  You might be able to guess better since I posted the HWMonitor info as well...  but looking at CPU-Z alone would tell you very little and any suggestion you would make (for a potential problem) would be wrong, not due to malice or lack of knowlegde...  due to lack of data.

Maybe using the term "misleading" is not quite the correct term, but I don't want to lead the OP down the wrong track without knowing more about how his board works with the 125W FX-8350.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

03/02/2014 02:00 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I suspect a power supply failing to provide sufficient amperage at 12.00v, as a failing RAM module or insufficient voltage being applied would manifest itself in other ways, such as corrupted textures in games, applications crashing, and mysterious BSODs, not a simple computer lockup.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/02/2014 04:09 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer Given the info above of my system, what do you think my BIOS v-core is set to?  You might be able to guess better since I posted the HWMonitor info as well...  but looking at CPU-Z alone would tell you very little and any suggestion you would make (for a potential problem) would be wrong, not due to malice or lack of knowlegde...  due to lack of data.

Maybe using the term "misleading" is not quite the correct term, but I don't want to lead the OP down the wrong track without knowing more about how his board works with the 125W FX-8350.

QB

Let's not hi-jack the OP's thread with insignificant issues based on your view of CPU-Z as a diagnostic tool. When in "auto" vcore mode the BIOS tries to set the CPU to the P0 state under heavy load - which by definition is the CPU default vcore.

My purpose for asking about the vcore and CPU temps is to check the "basics" so we know if these two fundamental areas are part of the OP's PC issue. There are various diagnostic methodologies that all seem to work fine. Use the one that works best for you. For me knowing that the vcore and CPU core temps are in the right range are how I start to diagnose a PC issue because they are absolutely essential.

03/02/2014 04:39 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

It's true...  but, when mine is set on auto, idle voltages look just fine and so do temps... I had almost the same issues as the OP...    To qoute you:

"My purpose for asking about the vcore and CPU temps is to check the "basics" so we know if these two fundamental areas are part of the OP's PC issue"

I am betting you would be looking elsewhere for my problems.

All I was asking from you, is that you clean up your terminology, default v-core is what the CPU will ask for...  it has nothing to do with what CPU-Z reports, and nothing to do with what the CPU actually gets at idle or load, BIOS set to auto or not.

Anyway you are correct...  we should wait for the OP to posted the requested data.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

03/02/2014 06:52 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I amended my comment so folks like you who don't understand that the BIOS will set the vcore to P0 under heavy load in "auto" would understand. There was nothing incorrect in my terminology. You just didn't understand why CPU-Z can provide this info.

The CPU doesn't "ask" for anything. The CPU is programmed with various power states. P0 is the highest vcore voltage, i.e. the default vcore (max). It's the BIOS' job to provide the correct power based on the CPU load/temp/frequency and power saving options enabled.

My original comment was correct and relevent as the OP did not indicate his system was OC'd thus CPU-Z would show his default vcore under stress loads. The point however was to see the approximate RANGE that the vcore was in, not the absolute value.

After a year of working just fine something suddenly changed. Vcore and temp are the first two primary settings to normally check.

Let's move on and see if we can help the OP.

Edited: 03/02/2014 at 06:59 PM by AMDforMe
 03/04/2014 04:41 PM

Author Icon
TeddyBeer
Peon

Hello here are those screenshots you needed. I have a Asrock FX 990 Extreme 4 mainboard.

CPU-Z:

HW monitor After stress test:

Waiting for further instrucions

Greetz,

Sander

03/04/2014 09:23 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

What is the CPU core temp under P95 or OCCT stress loads? Are you running all the settings in BIOS on "auto"? Both Core Temp and OCCT will show you the core temps but OCCT will record the temps and voltages while you stress test.

You mentioned these problems started after you re-installed Win 7. Did you do a complete format and new install or a Win 7 repair file-over-file type re-install?

Edited: 03/04/2014 at 10:43 PM by AMDforMe
 03/05/2014 01:24 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

To me...  it looks like you board is doing the same thing as mine, your v-core is dropping to 1.256 under load and that is not enough for stability.  I just looked at the manual for your board, and there is a CPU Load-line calibration in the BIOS...  I would suggest trying different settings to see if the voltage drop under load can be reduced that way. 

I wish my board had this, but mine is a first gen AM3+ board and it doesn't    From what I understand (from my own research into this) is that LLC will maintain (or at least attempt to maintain) the v-core to the voltage setting in the BIOS even when under load.

If you look above at my screen shots you can see the voltage drop on the CPU while under load without LLC (1.424==>1.328) and even at idle there is a drop since I have mine set to 1.500 in the BIOS.  Now hopefully your board's LLC works and with the correct setting you won't need to go to the extremes that I do. 

So let's start with you trying different LLC settings to see if you can stabilize that v-core under load.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

03/05/2014 12:35 PM

Author Icon
TeddyBeer
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe What is the CPU core temp under P95 or OCCT stress loads? Are you running all the settings in BIOS on "auto"? Both Core Temp and OCCT will show you the core temps but OCCT will record the temps and voltages while you stress test.

You mentioned these problems started after you re-installed Win 7. Did you do a complete format and new install or a Win 7 repair file-over-file type re-install?

The voltages and temps under load are in ther screenshots above. The problems started after i completely format both of my diks (SSD and HDD) and installed win 7 on new.

03/05/2014 12:45 PM

Author Icon
TeddyBeer
Peon

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer To me...  it looks like you board is doing the same thing as mine, your v-core is dropping to 1.256 under load and that is not enough for stability.  I just looked at the manual for your board, and there is a CPU Load-line calibration in the BIOS...  I would suggest trying different settings to see if the voltage drop under load can be reduced that way. 

I wish my board had this, but mine is a first gen AM3+ board and it doesn't    From what I understand (from my own research into this) is that LLC will maintain (or at least attempt to maintain) the v-core to the voltage setting in the BIOS even when under load.

If you look above at my screen shots you can see the voltage drop on the CPU while under load without LLC (1.424==>1.328) and even at idle there is a drop since I have mine set to 1.500 in the BIOS.  Now hopefully your board's LLC works and with the correct setting you won't need to go to the extremes that I do. 

So let's start with you trying different LLC settings to see if you can stabilize that v-core under load.

QB

I looked in my bios and I found LLC settings there were 4 choise: Auto, 1/2, 1/4 and Disable ive tried the 1/2 and 1/4 setting. on the 1/2 setting I saw 1.256 volt on the core with no load and when i start the stress test the whole PC run stuck. now ive tried the 1/4 setting under no load i got 1.2 volt on the core and under load i have 1.344 volt on the core.

I dont know if thats right setting

thanks for youre advice so far.

Greetz,

Sander

03/05/2014 01:17 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The HWMonitor data does not look right, which is not uncommon.

If your CPU is running 75-77C it's WAY OVER-HEATED as 61C is the max for your CPU. That's why I wanted to see what OCCT shows for vcore under load and the true core temps via Core Temp or OCCT. OCCT is useful as it records the data while you run stress tests.

As far as the vcore voltage it will change all over the place on "auto". In manual it should stay close to what you manually set it. You may have several issues.

LLC is suppose to maintain the vcore voltage closer to what you manually set it or the default vcore max when run in "auto" mode under stress loads. Typically one of the four LLC options will hold the vcore closest to what you manually set it but Gigabyte has had issues with the VRM circuits on their AM3+ mobos being insufficient to power 8-core FX processors so there is no telling what the results will be.

The OCCT core temp and vcore graphs would be very helpful in troubleshooting your PC problem. If you haven't cleaned your CPU HSF in a year it could be filled with dust and causing the CPU to overheat. Your CPU fan speed is not particularly high either, which may be a BIOS setting?

Statistics
86629 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.