Topic Title: AMD FX-8350 hardware failure
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/27/2014 08:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2014 08:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

@ AMDforMe....  I know all of that.  Default v-core (with no power features enabled) for an FX-8350 is 1.325V...  period.  What the BIOS does and what the board delivers is irrelevant to the term "default v-core".

As for my v-core...  my BIOS is not faulty.  On auto it attempts to deliver the 1.325V, but it fails to do so under load.  I am fairly certain all newer FX rated mobos, from all companies, come with LLC...  however as a rev 1.0 mine doesn't.  I have stellar cooling and can afford to have an idle voltage of 1.424V (BIOS set to 1.500V) to ensure that under load the voltage doesn't drop below 1.33V (that seems to be the magic number).

I used to under-volt my old Phenom II 965 C2 (140W) and could go as low as 1.28V...  but these FX CPU's seem to balk at the notion of going below 1.328V.

Anyway...  I know exactly what you are saying.  I have never had a problem understanding you, and I completely agree with all your suggestions.  However, your terminology can easily lead layman with a board like mine (or a messed up BIOS or a board that does not support FX) to think that CPU-Z is reporting the voltage that the CPU is requesting from the BIOS when it is only reporting the voltage being applied.

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

03/09/2014 12:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I'm glad we are clear on the CPU-Z and vcore issue.

It's unfortunate that Gigabyte ever sold these defective AM3+ mobos. You definitely do not want to be using 1.5v vcore on a std. non-OC'ed FX-8000 CPU to compensate for an improper VRM design. It's still hard on the CPU regardless of the cooling you have and it certainly voids the warranty.

As far as the FX-8350 is concerned there is a range of default vcores as I previously indicated. 1.325v is not the definitive vcore. Some folks have had success with under volting the FX CPUs. With your terrible Gigabyte VRM design the lack of VRM current capacity might be limiting your ability to under volt.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 03/09/2014 at 03:35 PM by AMDforMe
AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » AMD FX-8350 hardware failure

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84200 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.