Topic Title: AMD FX 8320 Overclock
Topic Summary: Trying to overclock the cpu to highest degree while not risking too much damage to system
Created On: 03/02/2014 08:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/02/2014 08:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thislastime
Peon

With an FX 8320 8 Core Black Edition + ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

I was wondering what settings I should apply in order to achieve the highest, and yet, safest potential that my machine can handle. So far I've only changed the CPU ratio. It's stable at 21.5 with 4300MHz clock speed. It will boot and operate most games without problems. When I ran a load test on the CPU at 100%, the program had stopped responding and had to end task. I later discovered that whenever the machine is operating a GPU or CPU intensive program, such as the latest game Thief, it will unexpectedly quit responding. I suspected it was because of my attempt to overclock(I say attempt because of my severe ignorance on the study.) Tuning the CPU ratio down to 21 with a clock speed of 4200, I've been able to run all applications without any discrepancies. 

Here are my settings

AI Overlock Tuner=DOCP

DRAM OC Profile=DDR3 1600Mhz

CPU Ratio=21.5

AMD Turbo Core Technology=Enabled 

Turbo Core Ratio=Auto

CPU Bus Frequency=200

PCIE Frequency=100

Memory Frequency=DDR3 1600MHz

CPU/NB Frequency=Auto

HT LINK Speed=Auto

Relavent Hardware: 

Cooling System=Corsair Hydro Series H75

GPU=Nvidea GTX760

PSU=Corsair AX750

03/02/2014 11:27 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I would leave it at 4200mhz. Given your weaker graphics card, you're not going to encounter a CPU bottleneck.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/02/2014 12:51 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

It depends on your level of interest in learning more about overclocking and your patience with stress testing and tuning your PC for it's ultimate performance.

The first thing you need to understand that when you OC your CPU your warranty is void if you some how damage it. While AMD CPUs are robust running them beyond their rated frequency still has a failure risk. If that's super important then you should probably not OC.

If however you decide to OC then you must decide if you want the maximum performance or just excellent performance with all of the power savings features enabled. The reason for this is many CPUs can run at a higher OC when the power saving features are disabled. This however results in a little more power consumption and heat, though not usally a lot.

If you're sticking to all the power saver features then you've probably reached most of the potential for your CPU @ 4.2 Ghz. You could manually up the vcore a bit and try for 4.3 GHz. with Prime 95 100% stability.

If you want to go full manual and see what is possible, I'd suggest disabling C1E, C6, C&Q, Turbo mode, Application Power Management or similar in your BIOS. Make sure the CPU fan setting is at 100%. Always monitor your CPU temp and do not allow it to exceed 61C core temp per AMD. (CPU temp is NOT core temp. You want the internal core temp at or below 61C).

The following settings help a lot of people achieve good overclocks of the FX-8320 and FX-8350. They are NOT however guaranteed as all mobos, CPU and RAM vary. Hopefully they will allow you to work your way up to a stable ~4.4 GHz. frequency with 100% P95 stability.

FYI - It can take weeks to months to test all of the possible BIOS settings that will optimize your PC performance. Changing one setting at a time and then stress testing is mandatory. It's a LONG process if you want to find all of the available performance.

vcore will likely be in the ~1.45v range - if your cooler can keep temps below 61C in stress testing. You can often get 85-90% stability at the default vcore but if 100% stability is important you will often need a considerably higher vcore and that means more heat so watch your core temp

HT= 2600 MHz.

HT voltage = 1.25v

CPU-NB = ~1.3v

RAM voltage increased ~.05v from default specified voltage

Maunally set the RAM timings and voltages. "Auto" does not always work well.

Test Load Line Conditioning (LLC), if your mobo has it, to find the best setting to hold the vcore steady when you stress test, at whatever you manually set the vcore to.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Edited: 03/02/2014 at 01:09 PM by AMDforMe
 03/02/2014 02:20 PM

Author Icon
thislastime
Peon

Oh wow. What fantastic information. I'll see what I can do with the vcore and monitor the core temp. In what increments should I increase the vcore?

03/02/2014 04:00 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I go up one or two steps to start and then one step at a time there after. Some people make big steps to find the limit of the HSF but I feel it's safer to just go one or two steps at a time and watch the temp under OCCT or similar that records the voltages and core temps.

Ultimately you want the highest OC frequency with the lowest vcore. It's a fun exercise but it does require time and patience.

Enjoy!

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Statistics
87607 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 11 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.