Topic Title: FX-8350 or GA-990FXA-UD5
Topic Summary: CPU or Motherboard
Created On: 03/03/2014 06:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/03/2014 06:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dracko
Peon

I'm really confused and as much as i've been looking around i don't know where i can find this information.

I've got a motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 and a CPU FX-8350 and i get random freeze so i started looking around and one thing i called my attention was the lack of Voltage like this:

Voltage

I have tried to twick the Bios but with no result and i change the power supply thinking that was the problem to a Corasir CS750M.

Then i noticed on the Bios this:

Bios Voltage

Which makes me think there is nothing wrong with the PSU.

Can someone help me and tell me if this is a fault from the CPU or the Motherboard?

Thank you

03/03/2014 09:09 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Software readout of voltages are not always accurate. The only means to know the true voltage is via a digital volt meter or O-scope. Your BIOS seems to indicate that the 12v rail is OK and it's probably correct. You could try running an OCCT stress test to see what it shows for voltages and CPU core temps under stress as it records the voltages, temps and frequencies.

There are many reasons why a PC can freeze. The FX-8350 is a high power demand 8-core CPU. Gigabyte has had mobo VRM issues with the 8-core FX CPUs as their VRM circuits were not designed to handle these heavy power consumers. The Rev. 5 model of the GA-990FXA-UD5 is better than the prior Revs. as Gigabyte redesigned the VRM circuit.

That being said assuming that you have the correct BIOS version installed to support the FX-8350, I'd run Memtest86+ V4.2 or V5 overnight to be sure you don't have some RAM issue causing the freezing.

It's highly unlikely that there is an issue with the CPU unless it was physically damaged when you removed it from the box as these CPUs are fully tested just prior to boxing for shipment.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 09:23 AM by AMDforMe
 03/03/2014 09:45 AM

Author Icon
Dracko
Peon

I have download and run Easytune from Gigabyte and there is a HW Monitor built in and these are the result:

Easy Tune

and this one shows the right voltage, weird!!

Before i posted this i have tried many test about the including the memory test overnight and stress test using occt. One of the many freeze up problems is the message i get sometimes is the "clock watchdog timeout".

I have google it and tried many of the tests or solution answer but no solution to mine.

One answer i haven't tried is sending the CPU back and tried a new one but for what you are saying it makes me think that maybe is the MB as it's rev.3 and maybe is not giving enough juice to the CPU as the problem mainly shows when i'm running a brower based video like youtube and playing a game on the other monitor, this happen even with a simple game like Minecraft!! OCCT the CPU on a stress test, crashes within 1 min to 1/2 hour, temp is watercool so doesn't go higher than 48C (this is the main reason why i haven't send it back, not easy to replace the CPU)

03/03/2014 12:30 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The CPUs rarely ever go bad or are shipped bad. If your PC crashes after a minute to 1/2 hour then there might be some BIOS setting that needs to be changed but I'd look at the hardware drivers first.

The clock watchdog timeout error message is often caused by driver conflicts. The link below might help if you haven't already tried the recommended solution.

http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/01/clock-watchdog-timeout/

With OCCT stress testing you can see if the CPU vcore drops to .875v and the frequency to 1400 MHz. after awhile. If so this is the VRM circuit throttling the CPU because the VRM circuit is too hot. This can cause system freezes even though it's not suppose to.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/03/2014 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Dracko
Peon

Thank you very much for explaining all this.

After thinking about it, i made some changes on the BIOS, increased the Vcore to 1.4 and setting some from Auto to normal or like the frequency set to 4000MHz instead of auto and auto boost.

For first time i have managed to run a full 1/2h OCCT CPU & CPU Linpack without crashing and getting the graphs at the end.

It's pretty clear to me now that this CPU maybe too much for this Version of Gigabyte MB which is clear that is uncapable to manage on auto settings. I think i will have to look for another MB which is capable to handle this Core as i dough Gigabyte will offer to replace it for the UD7 version

Once again thank you for the help

03/03/2014 03:13 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Glad to help.

"Auto" settings do not always work well on the AM3+ mobos with 8-core processors because they draw so much power. You may not need to run the vcore so high unless you're OC'ing. If your mobo has Line Load Conditioning adjustment, you could try the different settings to see which one keeps the vcore closest to what you manually set it, when the system is under stress testing loads which simulate intense video type CPU loads.

If you're not seeing the vcore drop to .875v and 1400 MHz. after running OCCT or P95 stress testing for awhile then the VRM is holding up OK and not overheating. Your mobo may be OK.

Statistics
84699 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.