Topic Title: AMD AHCI SATA Driver
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/03/2014 08:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/03/2014 08:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hefeweizen
Peon

Hope this has not been asked before.   I have a Phenom 9550 X4, MSI Aspen motherboard, AM2 socket, running Vista 64 bit SP2, 12GB memory.    Overall it is an HP a6755y.

I would like to install an SSD.  When I did, I noticed all hard drives are seen as SCSI RAID, the controller as a RAID controller (AMD AHCI RAID CONTROLLER).  I have no SATA controller listed in the device manager.  

I can get an SSD to work, but would like to use a TRIM command substitue via O & O defrag, and would like to put in pure AHCI mode.   When I put in AHCI mode via the bios, computer will not boot.  Only way out is to reset the BIOS EEPROM, which automatically puts back in RAID mode.    

I think I need a standard AMD SATA driver for the disc controller and the HDDs.   I have tried all the CATALYST downloads, which have not helped so far.  Any idea where to get standardard (non RAID) AHCI drivers for the controller and SATA HDDs?     Is my only option to stay with RAID SCSI?

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions.     I can provide more details if you want.   Disc drives do not matter, they are all seen as SCSI RAID.   Standard HDD speed is not bad at all.  I have achieved respectible seek and transfer times with a WD Black.

Rick

Edited: 03/03/2014 at 09:22 PM by hefeweizen
 03/03/2014 09:58 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Vista is a bit of a problem as SSDs were not very common when it was designed. You will not be able to use the TRIM function with Vista. Your SSD maker however may offer a manual TRIM type option for use with Vista? The SSD driver is normally part of the O/S in Windows from Vista onward. Intel offered a special driver for their chipset. I don't know if AMD has ever offered one. Win 7 and later supports the TRIM feature.

The method listed below does work for many people to change from IDE to AHCI mode but it involves a registry hack so you do this at your own risk. I believe that HP calls all laptop SSD installs "RAID drives" in their BIOS which is not accurate.

How to enable AHCI if you already install Windows Vista/Windows 7 using IDE?

Always back up the registry key prior to making changes

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

Restart and go into the BIOS and make the changes from IDE to AHCI and restart and away you go.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/03/2014 10:26 PM

Author Icon
hefeweizen
Peon

Thank you so much for the quick reply.   I did change the registry like you mentioned.  There are a few more posts that have you change even a few more items in the services directory.  In my case it has not made any difference.  

I am currently running in RAID mode, which is technically AHCI compliant, not IDE.   When I switch into AHCI in the BIOS, it just simply freezes after I save the bios.   It does not advance at all.  No BSoD.  Nothing.   Power off and on brings me to the same screen.   I can not enter bios again and change back. Only if I erase the EEPROM does it auto set back into RAID mode (with AHCI) support.    In RAID mode, all drives listed are SCSI, not SATA.     

I would like to find AMD SATA drivers for the controller and the HDDs.   This would help the drives at least be recognized as SATA rather than SCSI.    

O & O defrag has a command that replicates the TRIM command regardless of the operating system.  You are correct that Vista does not support TRIM.  O & O and even the Samsung SSD software both require that the drive is at least listed as SATA, not SCSI.      

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.       

03/03/2014 10:56 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

My experience with the HP laptop BIOS is that it lists all the drives as SCSI even when they aren't, so I don't know if maybe HP can help. I don't know of AMD making SATA drivers. They are usually proved by the mobo maker which means back to HP again. Have you checked their website for drivers?

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/04/2014 07:08 AM

Author Icon
hefeweizen
Peon

Thanks.    I did check HP.  I can download my original RAID drivers, but no other choices.   I could look for a similar system from that era without RAID.    I looked at the MSI (motherboard) site as well, which pointed me to the chipset AMD.      I am not sure the drivers exist.    Machine runs well, just would be nice to put in true AHCI mode with a recognized SATA interface.  Maybe they thought everyone wanted a RAID interface at the time.

03/04/2014 09:41 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Setting the controller in RAID mode and then leaving the disks in JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) is no different from running them in AHCI mode.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/04/2014 08:36 PM

Author Icon
hefeweizen
Peon

Yes, I believe you are correct.  I have heard you get all the benifits of AHCI, but the interface to the discs is SCSI.  You miss out on being able to use software to communicate to SATA drives, like noise vs. performance management. or "TRIM" commands provided by various software venders.   

Just wondering if there was a way to get out from the RAID control, and /or switch the drive interface to SATA.  I guess I should leave well enough alone on the 5 year old computer!

03/04/2014 09:26 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Even though this isn't the solution to your current issue... my testing showed SSD performance to be improved on Win 7 compared to Vista. If Win 7 is an option it could eliminate the current issue and allow TRIM and other benefits. Just a thought.

03/04/2014 09:58 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

TRIM is not as important as you think. Modern SSDs implement their own garbage collection routines which are independent from TRIM as they are embedded in the firmware of the drive. Actually they have for a while now, but the routines are much improved.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/04/2014 10:17 PM

Author Icon
hefeweizen
Peon

Yes, Windows 7 would probably be a little faster and have native TRIM support, however,  I think I would be in the same position with the RAID controller and SCSI HDDs.   I can not change from RAID  to AHCI, I don't even get to where the OS loads.  So given that situation, I think windows 7 may install, but the TRIM command may not even work due to the RAID/ SCSI interface.          

03/06/2014 11:58 AM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi just to mention on a intel board running uefi boot sata mode set to ahci the disks in device manager still show scsi disk device. And that is on Windows 7. All disks are shown as scsi disk device in device manager on any system

MSI Mpower Max, I7-4770K, MSI GTX 780 Lightning, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400, 2X Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB , 1Tb Raptor, Creative ZXR Sound, 1000 watt Coolermaster Single 80 amp Rail, G700s Mouse, Z5500 Speakers
 03/06/2014 09:34 PM

Author Icon
hefeweizen
Peon

Thanks.    Maybe this is normal then.    Thank you all for your help.

Statistics
84839 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.