Topic Title: AMD SVM set in BIOS VM BOX Says it is OFF
Topic Summary: BIOS says it is enabled; AMD Utility also says it is off.
Created On: 03/08/2014 03:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2014 03:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hal1401
Peon

Hi,

I run a Asus M4A79XTD EVO MOtherboard with AMD Phenom II 945 CPU, 1 processor, 4 cores, 8 GB ram.  I installed VM BOX and it tells me that I can only do 32 bit hosting.

I checked the BIOS and it was disabled.  I enabled it.  Still did not work.  I found the AMD Utility that checks for SVM.  Installed it. It tells me that SVM is disabled in the BIOS.

Some more checking and yes it is enabled.  Turned the P.C. off for 5 minutes.  Maybe I need to unplug it? 

Powered it on and same result.  The BIOS is AMI and has not been updated.  I guess I could update the BIOS but I would rather not go that route except as a last resort. 

Cheers

-------------------------

Motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO; CPU = AMD Phenom II 945, 3000 Mhz, 4 cores;  no overclocking, Windows 7 SP 1.

03/08/2014 06:08 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I don't use VM software but I have done some reading and found the following from Oracle:

"On AMD processors, we require both hardware virtualization and nested paging support"

Also found this warning regarding enabling I/O APIC:

Warning

On any host, you should enable the I/O APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode. This is especially true for 64-bit Windows VMs. See Section 3.3.2, “"Advanced" tab”. In addition, for 64-bit Windows guests, you should make sure that the VM uses the Intel networking device, since there is no 64-bit driver support for the AMD PCNet card; see Section 6.1, “Virtual networking hardware”

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html#settings-general-advanced

I'd suggest contacting Asus as it might be a BIOS issue? Obviously if you not using VMWare the above may not be accurate.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/10/2014 05:04 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

Originally posted by: Hal1401 Hi,

I run a Asus M4A79XTD EVO MOtherboard with AMD Phenom II 945 CPU, 1 processor, 4 cores, 8 GB ram.  I installed VM BOX and it tells me that I can only do 32 bit hosting.

I checked the BIOS and it was disabled.  I enabled it.  Still did not work.  I found the AMD Utility that checks for SVM.  Installed it. It tells me that SVM is disabled in the BIOS.

Some more checking and yes it is enabled.  Turned the P.C. off for 5 minutes.  Maybe I need to unplug it? 

Powered it on and same result.  The BIOS is AMI and has not been updated.  I guess I could update the BIOS but I would rather not go that route except as a last resort. 

Cheers

1. check to be sure AMD-V is enabled in the BIOS

2. check to be sure APIC is enable as well

3. update the BIOS to the latest version

Statistics
85474 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.