Topic Title: How do I verify faulty cores?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2014 10:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/28/2014 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
metalbunny
Peon

Okay...so it looks like it might actually a compatibility issue with the RAM, though I cannot confirm it 100% because the motherboard doesn't tell me what exact voltage the RAM is running at.

Kingston support tells me the RAM is supposed to run 9-9-9-27 and 1.5 V @ 1333 MHz or 1.65 V @ 1600 MHz, and because this is XMP RAM the AMD chipsets may not be able to set the correct timings automatically.

The BIOS auto settings puts the RAM at 9-11-11-29 and when I tried changing it manually to 9-9-9-27 it doesn't take more than a few minutes before the system crashes under load with "hardware failure". It passes Memtest86 without an issue though.

Manually setting the DRAM voltage to 1.65 V just cooks the RAM nomatter the timing settings. However, the MSI specifications lists the RAM support as 1.5 V at all speeds, which makes me wonder if the board just can't handle running 1.65 V RAM at 1600 MHz.

I found a newer version of AMD overdrive, but since it still doesn't report temperatures or fan speeds correctly (if it was right my computer would be on fire) so I don't trust it to make changes.

It does however tell me the RAM and CPU settings and it is the only utility that tells me the RAM is running 800/1600 instead of 780/1560 everything else says. From what overdrive tells me then the CPU is constantly running at 20.5x (instead of the 20x it's supposed to) and the turbo speed is set lower. I'll have to look more into it the turbo settings once I get the system stabilized.

03/28/2014 10:36 AM

Author Icon
metalbunny
Peon

Originally posted by: mrfla Seems like the ram can be the issue, if you using xmp that is made for intel, AMD should be AMP profile. You now can put voltage to default since it's not voltage stability problem. 1- Ram issue 2- Bios issue 3- Motherboard issue because bios should show everything as it should be. Be sure you using 9xx series chipset.

I have yet to find anyone listing RAM as "AMP". They're all listed as XMP or nothing. The board is 990FX with SB950. I believe the real issue is MSI simply didn't implement support for low-latency RAM correctly, or this day 1 processor may have a finicky memory interface that just doesn't like being overclocked.

03/28/2014 11:54 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The mobo would be more suspect IMO. AMD and a few others sell AMP rated RAM but the mobo maker has to properly write the BIOS to recognize the XMP/AMP optional RAM settings. Manually setting the RAM settings should not cause a problem in a properly written BIOS. You don't normally need to set the minor RAM settings, just the primary ones. A poorly written BIOS can cause all sorts of issues.

Extensive testing of real applications shows that slower DDR3 RAM timings with a frequency of 1333 MHz. or higher does NOT cause any tangible loss in system performance. This is in contrast to DDR/DDR2. The reason for this is that DDR3 running at 1333+ MHz. is not a system bottleneck so faster timings do not equate to any tangible performance gains as they did with DDR and DDR2.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/28/2014 09:07 PM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

try normal ram, there's many here that should work, it don't need to be AMP but just not XMP profiles only. http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2400.pdf That's the list of your motherboard ram supported, search for something that you would like. BUT, you can try to look in bios your ram and set it manualy the timing you want and speed that you could find more stable.

03/30/2014 07:49 AM

Author Icon
metalbunny
Peon

Well, I got this response from Kingston:

Please note that the CPU and the system should actually support this memory at 1600Mhz, but it says at 1.5V.

I would advise to set timing at manually at  DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 and set voltage to 1.5V.

And then add 0.05V until system work stabile.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it might lead me back to the hot RAM issue if I do.

Running 9-11-11-29 instead of 9-9-9-27 shouldn't in theory really make much of a difference at 10 GB/s read speeds. After all I still have platter harddrives that the system have to wait for.

03/30/2014 08:07 AM

Author Icon
metalbunny
Peon

Originally posted by: mrfla try normal ram, there's many here that should work, it don't need to be AMP but just not XMP profiles only. http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2400.pdf That's the list of your motherboard ram supported, search for something that you would like. BUT, you can try to look in bios your ram and set it manualy the timing you want and speed that you could find more stable.

I appreciate your input, but the list is what RAM they tested it with and does not necessarily mean other RAM is not supported.

The memory modules we list below are for reference only. Owing to massive memory modules selling on the market, we can only verify some of them.

The test result is based on general configuration we set and all the setting is based on the default of MB.

In other words, they only tested with the bus speeds and never touched any other setting.

I used that list to buy the RAM in the first place. What I really wanted was OCZ RAM, but sadly they don't make RAM anymore.

However my RAM is actually on that list on page 10: Kingston KHX1600C9D3, only they list the 2pc kit (K2/8GX) and I have the 4pc kit (K4/16GX). Either way it's still tested with 2 and 4 sticks.

Right now RAM is more than twice the price I paid for it over a year ago, and I can't afford to replace it anytime soon (money's tight this year).

03/31/2014 09:33 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: metalbunny Well, I got this response from Kingston:

Please note that the CPU and the system should actually support this memory at 1600Mhz, but it says at 1.5V. I would advise to set timing at manually at  DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 and set voltage to 1.5V. And then add 0.05V until system work stabile.
I haven't tried it yet, but I think it might lead me back to the hot RAM issue if I do.Running 9-11-11-29 instead of 9-9-9-27 shouldn't in theory really make much of a difference at 10 GB/s read speeds. After all I still have platter harddrives that the system have to wait for.

On DDR3 RAM the timings make almost zero system performance difference because DDR3 RAM running at 1333 MHz. + is not a system bottleneck. If it runs fine with slower timings, that's what you should use.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

04/01/2014 01:31 AM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

Seriously if the ram is listed and tested it should work. So if you tryed at 1.5 and 1.55 volts at 9-9-9-27 and it's still not working, there's something wrong and it's hard to say for me whitout seeing and testing it myself wit your computer. Try 1.5 volts 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 and if it don't work...you will maybe need to try your parts with known good ones,another computer to try your ram and/or another ram to try with motherboard. There is nothing else i can do more than that to help you.

Edited: 04/01/2014 at 02:08 AM by mrfla
AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » How do I verify faulty cores?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84881 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.