Topic Title: CPU Usage FX8320
Topic Summary: CPU Usage FX8320
Created On: 03/15/2014 12:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/15/2014 12:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mkhcpa
Peon

Hello:

I purchased a FX8320 processor and a Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 motherboard about 15 months ago and when I recently installed Norton Antivirus on my computer I began receiving high CPU usage alerts when I am in Microsoft Money 97 and when I convert video from one format to another using Any Video Convertor. When I receive the alerts I immediately went to the Windows Task Manager were I found the usage at zero percent in most of the instances but there is a history of high CPU usage in the Windows Task Manager. I believe Microsoft Money 97 only uses one core and the high CPU usage is limited to one core. When I was converting video in Any Video Convertor the usage was high in all 8 cores and it took it several seconds to return to an acceptable level after I entered the Windows Tasks Manager. The only change being made to the video was to correct a discrepancy with the frame rate on a video file that had been downloaded from the internet so it could be opened using Virtualdub. There was a bunch of numbers to the right of the decimal place when it should have looked like 29.0097 for a file with a frame rate of 29 frames per second. The BIOS is set to default no tweaks have been made in an effort to increase the capacity of the CPU or motherboard.

My first computer had a 500 MHz AMD K62 processor and high CPU usage was never an issue especially when using Microsoft Money 97 in the 5 years I owned it. Before purchasing the FX8320 processor and the above mentioned motherboard my computer had an Intel P4 Prescott with a speed of 2800 MHz and high CPU usage was never an issue with Microsoft Money 97 or when using video encoding tools like Any Video Convertor, DVD Shrink, Power Producer, NERO and reel time video capturing in MPEG2 with 720 x 480 frame sizes using TV turner cards like Hauppauge.

Any information that might help me resolve any problem I may have or information that will help me better understand my processor would be appreciated. The FX8320 has significantly higher capacities on every point compared to my legacy hardware and when I find it taking all the new hardware’s resources   to do the same job that required little or no resources of the old hardware has to raise concern.

Sincerely,

Edited: 03/17/2014 at 02:16 AM by mkhcpa
 03/15/2014 10:43 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You asked the same question and were answered a month ago Here

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/15/2014 01:40 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Go into the Norton "settings" and turn all of the "high usage" alerts off. Then you won't have anything to bother you. These are just a courtesy notice.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU. It's designed to use as much of the CPU's capability as the software will allow. What's the point of having more CPU capability if you don't use it?

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/17/2014 02:10 AM

Author Icon
mkhcpa
Peon

Thanks for your help.

Statistics
84179 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.