Topic Title: FX-9590 - Heat Sink
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/25/2014 04:46 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/25/2014 04:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

Hi, I am looking for some help.

I have a FX-9590 Black Edition Processors with a Cooler Master V8 GTS Heat Sink, which all is on a Asrock 990FX Extreme9 motherboard.

When i turn the computer on and go to the bios screen and monitor the temp control, i see that the temp for the processor go up to 48°C and the motherboard is on 32°C.

what should the temp be, i have not o/s installed on the computer. 

can someone tell me if this is correct or something isnt running right

Hope to hear form someone soon.

Sanchez

03/25/2014 08:05 AM

Author Icon
t77chevy
Peon

I have the 9590 on an asrock extreme 9 motherboard and mine runs 62c under load ..BUT mine is water cooled "cyber extreme 240 " .you can't run these processor with air cool they run to hot .at 75c socket temp the motherboard will shut the processor down to prevent damage.  Hope this helps

03/25/2014 08:27 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Liquid cooling is a requirement for the FX-9000 processors. And I would say the Corsair H80, or a comparable competitors product, at a minimum.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/25/2014 12:46 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Liquid cooling is NOT a requirement for the FX-9000 series but you will need a top 7 HSF. Scroll down at the link below to the AMD ratings as the various coolers perform differently on AMD vs. Intel CPUs.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

The first thing you need to understand is that the BIOS temp readout is NOT the CPU core temp. Core temp is what you need to watch. AMD has not disclosed any official max core temp for the FX-9000 but it should be at least equal to the FX-8000 series which is 61.1C core temp.

The BIOS and programs that read temps often call the CPU socket temp: "CPU Temp". This is incorrect as it's not the CPU core temp, it's the CPU socket temp. The CPU socket temp typically runs 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temp. The applet Core Temp will give you pretty accurate CPU core temps in the 40-70C range. The core temp is all that matters.

As far as H2O cooling, it's NOT recommended by me because of the documented thermal inefficiency in objective scientific testing compared to a quality HSF. More importantly however H2O coolers leak water and when they leak water they can and have burned up people's PCs. You could potentially burn your house down with a H2O cooler leak.

If you're still interested in an H2O cooler after knowing the documented facts on the water leak liability and poor thermal efficiency, then you're on your own. An H80 is probably borderline on cooling the FX-9000. It's a very poor H2O cooler as the test data shows. There are a bunch of superior HSFs compared to the H80 and none of the HSFs can ever leak water to damage your PC hardware or cause an electrical fire.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2664&page=6

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/25/2014 02:51 PM

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

thanks all for getting back to me, 

this is what my bios shows

CPU Trmperature 48C
M/B temperature 32C 

is this information incorrect about how hot my cpu is?

03/25/2014 05:16 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You need a program such as CoreTemp to read the core temperatures. CPU socket temperatures for AMD processors are unreliable and are calculated by taking a measured value and applying a formula.

As for the cooler, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to use a liquid cooler. That chart AMDforMe linked needs to be taken with a grain of salt. My previous setup was an overclocked AMD Phenom II x4 965BE C3 cooled with a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 using a Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00, IC Diamond 24K TIM, in an Antec 1200 case. The same processor once switched to this Corsair H60 (same case and TIM as well) with 2 Cougar CF-V12HPB 120 R fans, ran 5-10°C cooler, topping out at 54°C vs 59°C (when using case supplied air, not when drawing fresh air from outside the case as recommended) much more than the 1.6°C Frostytech shows, without the jet engine.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/25/2014 06:16 PM

Author Icon
t77chevy
Peon

That chart also clearly states amd 125 watt ..9590 is twice that .

03/25/2014 09:54 PM

Author Icon
sanchezuk
Peon

would the corsair h100i do the job?

03/25/2014 11:04 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It would, and I would recommend using the Cougar CF-V2HBP 120 R fans as well because they are very quiet and have relatively high static pressure for their thickness and speed.

03/25/2014 11:45 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Originally posted by: t77chevy That chart also clearly states amd 125 watt ..9590 is twice that .

125w is a typical test thermal load for most AMD CPUs. The FX-9000 series have a 220w TDP. The test shows the performance capability @ 125w load not the total thermal capacity of the coolers. That's why I said you need one of the top 7 HSFs - which are all far superior to the H80 and most superior to H100.

As far as the H100 it is also a poor cooler. The Aegir and several other HSFs are superior and they never leak water to short circuit your PC hardware and burn it out. You don't need to buy extra fans with the HSFs either. Buying new fans to replace the poor and noisy H100 fans is just throwing good money after bad.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=6

I suggest that you do your homework and not just go by hype and technical ignorance that is often tendered online. The objective scientifc test results don't lie.

The Aegir SD128264 was tested by a lab in Greece with up to a 345w load and performed wonderfully with just one fan so don't be confused by lower thermal test loads that are typical of std. CPUs. The FX-9000 series are just factory overclocked FX-8350 CPUs. The objective scientific cooler tests show the relative performance of the various model HSFs and H2O coolers. It should be obvious from the test results how poor the Corsair H60/H80/H100 H2O coolers are when so many HSFs surpass them.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 12:06 AM by AMDforMe
 03/26/2014 09:13 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

AMDforMe's feelings on liquid cooling are well known. He think they all leak and will destroy a system. That chart shows the Corsair H80 performing -better- than the H100, and only 1°C better than the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, which in fact it does much, much better. The FX-9000 parts are overclocked and overvolted.

03/26/2014 10:52 AM

Author Icon
t77chevy
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe
Originally posted by: t77chevy That chart also clearly states amd 125 watt ..9590 is twice that .

125w is a typical test thermal load for most AMD CPUs. The FX-9000 series have a 220w TDP. The test shows the performance capability @ 125w load not the total thermal capacity of the coolers. That's why I said you need one of the top 7 HSFs - which are all far superior to the H80 and most superior to H100.

As far as the H100 it is also a poor cooler. The Aegir and several other HSFs are superior and they never leak water to short circuit your PC hardware and burn it out. You don't need to buy extra fans with the HSFs either. Buying new fans to replace the poor and noisy H100 fans is just throwing good money after bad.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=6

I suggest that you do your homework and not just go by hype and technical ignorance that is often tendered online. The objective scientifc test results don't lie.

The Aegir SD128264 was tested by a lab in Greece with up to a 345w load and performed wonderfully with just one fan so don't be confused by lower thermal test loads that are typical of std. CPUs. The FX-9000 series are just factory overclocked FX-8350 CPUs. The objective scientific cooler tests show the relative performance of the various model HSFs and H2O coolers. It should be obvious from the test results how poor the Corsair H60/H80/H100 H2O coolers are when so many HSFs surpass them.

If you can give me links to any gamer using air cold heat sinks for the amd 9590 that confirm proper cooling I will buy one myself.im not a fan of water in a pc ..but I know what heat will do to my system as well..If I could find a reliable air cool setup I would happily switch over to it.i don't care about how loud it is ..everyone complains about the 290x noise level with 100% fans but I only hear them in between scene of games when they ramp up high . Of course my audio is sent to a Yamaha advantage and 9.2 surround in my living room and the pc is 20 feet from where I sit.

03/26/2014 01:26 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I've run 3x (25) hour P95 stress tests on an FX-8350 OC'd to 4.7 GHz with a 1.462v vcore with an Aegir SD128264 HSF and a single fan and never exceeded AMD's specified 61C temp. As I indicated this HSF has been tested up to 345w and performed quite well. It also has an option for a second fan if desired. I suspect the other top (7) will deliver similar results.

Only you can decide what is best for your application but at least you know up front the poor thermal performance of the closed loop coolers and the Corsair H series in particular based on the objective scientific test results. There is simply no means to escape the water leak liability regardless of what H2O system you might use. THAT is precisely why I never recommend a CLC H2O system when a quality tower HSF provides better performance, costs less and never leaks.

As we've seen some folks can't deal with the technical facts regarding the inferior performance of closed loop coolers and the documented water leak liability. Their condition by definition is denial which means that can't handle the truth so they convince themselves the truth is not reality. Denial however doesn't change reality nor the facts on CLCs which are well established.

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 01:39 PM by AMDforMe
 03/26/2014 02:10 PM

Author Icon
t77chevy
Peon

I Google that Aegir n no one has any In stock ..I'll be looking around n see..There all cheap -100$ so it's not a big deal if it doesn't work ..I just can't find any who ran it on my setup ..I've found others with different ones who had overheating issues ...guess I'll be the beta tester xD...any suggestions for easily avaliable systems ? "in Stock "

03/26/2014 05:20 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

And unlike some people who just praise air coolers and slam closed loop liquid coolers, I have used both and despite using a performance air cooler and a lower end liquid cooler there was still a temperature drop of 5-10°C depending on the load (5°C under Prime95, 10°C under real world loads). And that is precisely why I heartily recommend liquid coolers, they're quiet, compact, inexpensive, and they work wonders. Am I worried about leaks? Nope, because over time I have torqued the mess out of the hoses when I unmount the radiator from the case to clean the fins, and when I swapped motherboards and processors, and when I replaced the stock fans with these Cougars.

03/26/2014 09:19 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The Aegir is still available but not in all markets atm. Xigmatek said they will be sending more to the U.S. Any of the HSFs that perform above the H100 should work but the Aegir is certainly one of the best of the best.

We see people in this and other forums constantly hawking Corsair closed loop coolers (CLCs), because they lack the technical expertise to understand the objective independent HSF/H2O cooler performance data posted by numerous websites which shows how inferior these CLCs actually are to an often less expensive HSF that can never leak water and damage your PC. These are the type of people who buy a Corsair H60 CLC when there are independently documented to be over (100) HSFs that outperform the H60 in cooling and many of the HSFs cost 2/3rds the price of the H60. A HSF can NEVER leak water that can cause electrical damage to your PC hardware like H2O cooling can.

These people basically bought into the "Koolaid", aka marketing hype, without doing their technical homework. These folks selectively provide info. to try and sway people into subscribing to their beliefs even when firsthand and scientific data refute their false beliefs. These folks only want you to know about their beliefs, not the actual FACTS as documented by independent testing and first hand reports by CLC owners of water leaks and PC damage from said water leaks. They view inferior performing CLCs thru rose colored glasses and refuse to accept independent testing by any number of reputable sources that show the CLCs to be inferior coolers and that CLCs do leak and cause PC damage. By definition these folks are in denial because they can't handle the truth which is documented regarding these inferior coolers. Denial is a means to cope when they can't handle reality. Look it up if you doubt what I am saying.

I on the otherhand want people to technically educate themselves on ALL aspects of a CPU cooler - both the good and the bad because it's a very important safety issue. If you perform due diligence you will see that what I have posted are the FACTS. They are not my opinion, they are documented cooler performance test results, firsthand reports of CLC cooler leaks reported on many PC forums including here, at the Corsair website, etc.

The FACTS are H2O coolers leak and when they leak they can cause expensive and dangerous PC electrical fires or worse. You can't have a H2O cooler leak and damage your PC if you never install an H2O cooler in your PC... 

The Corsair forum threads show Corsair acknowledges their CLCs leak and that PC hardware damage can and HAS occured but Corsair refuses to provide the statsitics on failures to customers or potential customers. There is a reason why they don't want consumers to be technically informed or they would be up front about the failures, leaks and poor thermal performance of the H2O coolers compared to HSFs. Thankfully there are enough competent honest reviewers who report CPU cooler performance so that PC enthusiasts can educate themselves and dismiss the unscrupulous fanboism and marketing hype.

Personally I do NOT care what people buy or use for a CPU cooler. It's your money and your PC system and you will be the one who must deal with the results. I do however care that you are FULLY INFORMED TECHNICALLY and not duped by fanboism and marketing hype because installing any H2O cooling on a PC means that you are creating a serious water leak liability that you would not have with a HSF? Why would you do this when so many HSFs have been independently tested and documented to outperform the CLCs and a HSF can never leak water to cause PC damage?

For those considering a quality tower HSF cooler be advised that they are large in size and may not fit all PC cases. They can also block the first DIMM slot on many mobos, so if that's important, you need to take this into consideration. These are aspects of CPU coolers that a technically informed PC enthusiasts should investigate prior to any purchase to prevent surprises and misunderstanding.

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 09:46 PM by AMDforMe
 03/27/2014 08:48 AM

Author Icon
t77chevy
Peon

Lol...it's not denial...it comes to a point where air cooling just isn't enough and water cooling is needed..like I said I would air cool if it was reliable for my setup..ran 2 hours last night with crisis 3 and max cpu temp was 42c and average was 38c ..yes their is always that water leak chance ..I just don't see air cooling holding the same "or better" temps on my system...like I said ...tell me the best one for my 9590 ...I'll buy it and compare it's cooling against my cyber extreme 240 water cooler...If it's even close I will keep it just for the insurance of no water leaks..We can go back and forth all day and get no where...let's put it to the test.so the gentleman who asked can get a correct answer instead of opinions. I'm running the FX 9590 and asrock extreme 9..perfect for this question. 

03/27/2014 09:43 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Source

03/27/2014 11:42 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

As usual those in denial try to deceive. If you look at properly conducted CPU cooling tests you will see that the H60/H80/H100 are poor coolers in comparison to HSFs that can NEVER leak water.

Showing test results for an Intel CPU instead of understanding that coolers perform differently on different brands of CPUs due to the heat spreader size, illustrates some folks are NOT qualified to be making recommendations on CPU coolers because they lack the technical skills to understand the important details.

The links that I posted were of tests with a controlled 125w load on an AMD sized heatspreader. As I previously indicated the Aegir has been tested with up to 345w and proved to be very capable. My 25 hour P95 FX-8350 OC'd to 4.7 GHz. @ 1.462v vcore stress tests also confirm exactly what other reviewers have found regarding the Aegir's performance. There is no game that loads all 8 cores to 100% for 25 hours continuously as the P95 stress test does.

When an H2O cooler can't even surpass a quality tower HSF, why would any technically literate person use one and introduce a very serious safety liability to their PC? It's what people don't know or understand that leads them to incorrect conclusions.

Edited: 03/27/2014 at 11:50 AM by AMDforMe
 03/27/2014 01:08 PM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

Man, you sure have a hate on for H20 cooler's.

I haven't seen someone bash something so bad since the old AMD processor forum.

You keep going on about how they leak and scientific data blah blah blah

have you ever held one or tested one or have any firsthand experience with these things

I'll tell man, I've had my H50 for over four years now and its proven to be a decent cooler (not the best) but dose the job and NO LEAKS in fact the only thing I'm worred about is the pump quiting.

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » FX-9590 - Heat Sink

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
86495 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.