Topic Title: FX-8350 Overheating
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/27/2014 01:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/21/2014 01:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

ironman-

More than likely you had some mounting issue as more TIM is bad because TIM is a thermal insulator compared to metal-to-metal contact. You may also have a badly machined or warped heatsink base or heatspreader and the additional TIM filled the low spot.

Ideally you want the thinnest layer of TIM possible like .003" or less. TIM is only intended to fill the minute imperfections in the heatsink and heat spreader because 100% metal-to-metal contact isn't possible - though that is the goal.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

04/21/2014 01:41 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

You can get closer with Indigo Extreme system if you have the nerves for it.

Non-noob components.

04/21/2014 05:06 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Read this article

Thermal Paste Comparison, Part One: Applying Grease And More.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/22/2014 12:42 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

It is always a good idea to be on Tom's email list.

One other consideration not covered is that TIMs have a cure period,  a "burning-in" period if you will and often provide better heat transfer a day or two later.  When doing your interior case maintenance not a bad idea to check if any loosening in mounting mechanism has occured over time.

Non-noob components.

04/23/2014 08:58 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The maximum temp diff with uncured and cured TIM is ~2C so it's a non issue.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

04/23/2014 08:26 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

Originally posted by: cs30109 OK, so I a*****gize if I don't know what I'm doing.  I found the load line calibration setting, and I believe I have set it to the most conservative settings, in terms of temperature (no voltage boost at load, so temperature should be minimized).  My fan speed settings are set to "auto."  The Asus "Fan Expert" program shows that, at load, the fans are cycled to 100% which is around 4,000 rpm.

The problem is still occurring.  I have attached screen shots of what I think are my relevant BIOS settings, as well as a shot of the AMD Over Drive program monitoring core temperatures while prime95 runs.  You can clearly see that the thermal margin is being exceeded by several degrees (this program does not seem to report raw core temperatures, only the thermal margin).

The "Core Temp" program reports the CPU temperature as 74 C, but I'm not 100% sure this is the REAL core temperature.  I'm more inclined to trust the AMD program, which reports a margin of 4 C, which would be around 65 C if the margin is measured from the 61 C maximum.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I've gone through the BIOS looking for relevant settings, but unfortunately I'm not really an expert at this and there are a huge number of adjustable settings for this motherboard, many of which I don't fully understand.

Obviously I could buy an aftermarket cooler, and that might help a bit, but I'm convinced that something else must also be wrong.

If you open these image URLs in a new tab, you can see them at higher resolution.

Turn on Cool and Quiet, it does wonders for ther heat. C1E enabled too, same reason.

rest is not material

I suggest replacing the thermal interface material with Artic MX-4 which has provided itself in my shop as excellent

04/23/2014 09:35 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

If you use air cooling:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/24/2014 01:30 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

AMDforMe...not an "issue", but a reality.  Thanks for agreeing to my point.

Non-noob components.

05/20/2014 03:54 PM

Author Icon
Bualdoot
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe cs30109-

I'm glad to help.

As always black_zion is hawking the H60 cooler which is one of the WORST possible coolers anyone could install in a PC for several reasons:

1. H2O coolers leak water, they can short circuit the PC hardware and burn it up. This is documented.

2. There are over (100) CPU heatsink fans that out perform an H60, cost as little as 2/3rds the price and none of them will EVER leak water to damage your PC.

The facts don't lie but people who lack the technical expertise to read and understand independent HSF performance test results constantly try to mislead AMD users. A technically educated consumer should not be duped by fanboism. Get the FACTS and skip the hype.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2705&page=5

Installing an H2O CPU cooler into your PC is a safety liability you never have with a HSF.

Where do you get your information from AMDforMe? Don't forget about the forum rules....

"5) You agree that you will not use our forums to post any material, or links to any material, which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law."

You are spreading false information. Allow me to correct you so you can stop breaking the rules in regards to the H60. Liquid cooling does not mean it is cooled by WATER. It is not an H20 cooler. It is LIQUID cooling. Years ago when liquid cooling was new to the market, some of them used a gel/liquid that conducted electricity. But for the most part, the liquid used in current systems, does NOT conduct electricity, and therefor does not pose any threat if it happens to leak. It would be like submerging your entire motherboard in mineral oil, which I have done. It does not conduct electricity, and did not harm anything. It is simply a medium for heat transfer/dissipation. Liquid cooling is NOT water cooling. Hopefully I have said that enough times now.

So please, stop spreading false information, and MISLEADING people. Now, if you have proof that the H60 uses WATER, then by all means, share the link to the reputable source stating such. If a liquid cooling system used water, I would 100% agree that it is the worste system out there, as you stated. But, since your reasons for the H60 being the worst was because of water damage, I think you should come up with a different reason.

Thanks for everyone's time reading this. I hope this helps to clear up the confusion about liquid cooling setups.

05/20/2014 04:18 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Clue:  Denial is not a river in Egypt.

It's technically ignorant of you and a disservice to people to post false information regarding H2O systems, especially when it has been documented that leaks in these systems have caused electrical short circuits and burned up PC hardware.

If you go to the Corsair forum and read the threads you will see that Corsair refuses to disclose the failure rate on their Closed Loop Coolers. You will also see Corsair customers who have purchased 2-3 or more CLCs that all failed.

By definition, being unable to deal with reality is denial and those who can't handle the realities of H2O systems are in deep denial be it regarding leaks, inferior cooling, costs vs equal or better HSFs or noise. Objective scientific testing by numerous reliable sources all confirm what I have posted and I have provided links to this objective scientific test data for those who want the FACTS concerning CLCs.

Edited: 05/20/2014 at 04:32 PM by AMDforMe
 05/20/2014 05:12 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You are the one spreading misleading information, and one of these days the mods are going to get sick of it.

05/20/2014 05:50 PM

Author Icon
Bualdoot
Peon

AMDforMe, No one is in denial but you. I simply pointed out that it is not water cooling as you keep mentioning. It is LIQUID. Liquid is not always water. Milk is a liquid and yet we dont say we are cooling our computer with milk or some other form of liquid. It is not an H2O system. NO WHERE does it say H2O. It says LIQUID.

Now, wether or not you can buy a non-liquid cooling system for cheaper, or wether or not some people have had problems, is a different topic.

But hey, lets talk about how a liquid cooled system might have a chance of leaking and therefor is not a good choice for using in your computer. But wait, a normal fan can fail as well, should we not use those either?

There are more people with out problems, than there are that have problems. But, the majority of people who dont have problems, don't take the time to write and say they havent had a problem, in most cases. So of course forums will be full of people who did have problems. That doesnt mean liquid cooling is a bad choice.

And where are those links you say you posted? I dont see any. The link, http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2705&page=5, doesnt say anything about what you posted. Just shows a comparison of cooling systems "fan speed", thermal test, and noise level.

So far I see no facts to back up your argument. Where is it stated that it is an H2O system? Even Corsairs website does not state that it is H2O(water).

05/20/2014 06:07 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Get used to this from AMDforME...  he spews his fear mongoring and never once supports it with any facts other than a very very old H60 comparison.  He used to link to the top coolers for AMD CPU's, but when I pointed out that ALL of the top coolers are CLC's by a wide margin, he stopped that, LOL

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

05/20/2014 06:21 PM

Author Icon
Bualdoot
Peon

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer Get used to this from AMDforME...  he spews his fear mongoring and never once supports it with any facts other than a very very old H60 comparison.  He used to link to the top coolers for AMD CPU's, but when I pointed out that ALL of the top coolers are CLC's by a wide margin, he stopped that, LOL

QB

Lol. Makes me curious what his computer background is. I myself have been doing this since a very early age of 8, when my parents bought our first Packard Bell 8086. And then a Packard Bell 500 (pentium 133). Not to mention the Tandem, or 286, 386, etc that i had back then. So, I have a long time of experience. Not that I know everything though. I mean, I have been browsing Corsairs website and searching google for several hours now trying my hardest to prove that AMDforMe is right. But so far, he isn't.

Unlike the 12+ year old kids that get on these forums, I don't just blurt out things with out having facts first.

05/21/2014 09:28 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

I rather like his copy and paste answers!

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

05/22/2014 04:20 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It's unfoprtunate that some PC enthusiasts spend more time posting false information than educating themselves. Many here can't even read and understand the cooler test results or the English language. Instead they want to attack the messenger because they can't refute the documented test results that show how inferior the majority of closed loop coolers are and that std. heatsink fans cool better than the hyped H60 and similar liquid coolers, cost less and never leak coolant to damage the PC hardware.

Denial doesn't change reality. Attacking the messenger doesn't change reality. The test data shows how poor the Corsair H series coolers are in addition to costing more than a HSF. That's reality. You can lie to yourself to convince yourself that a Corsair H60 or whatever is better but it is not and the test data proves it.

As far as coolant damage is concerned the majority of coolants are water based with additives to prevent metal corrosion, galvanic activity and fungal growth. Those coolants are electrically conductive. But it does not take an electrically conductive coolant to cause damage to CPUs, GPUs, mobos, HDDs and optical drives - any liquid can do this. In addition liquid getting on electrical contacts can corrode them causing an increase in electrical resistance resulting in melted wires and even fires.

You can't have PC hardware damage from coolant if you don't install a liquid cooler in your PC...and no technically educated person would do so when a conventional HSF will do the job without the water leak liability that can not be eliminated with a liquid cooler.

In regards to Corsair coolers specifically we know they can and do leak and that when they do leak they can and have caused damage to PC hardware. The reason we know this is because Corsair has admitted this in the forums in addition to Corsair H series owners reporting the damage and multiply failures. Educate yourself by actually reading the Corsair forum cooler threads.

05/22/2014 05:02 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Who is this "we"? I know how safe CLLC are, as does Earnhardt, QB, Eye, and many others. You seem to be the one who does not. Then again, you think 100°F is room temperature...

05/24/2014 04:42 PM

Author Icon
DatDirtyDawG
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe ....... they can't refute the documented test results that show how inferior the majority of closed loop coolers are.............The test data shows how poor the Corsair H series coolers are..........the test data proves it.........As far as coolant damage is concerned the majority of coolants are water based with additives..........

I have read these same statements from you over and over and over throughout this forum.  You have been asked by countless members here (about as many times as your repeated claims) to provide where you are getting this information from and have yet to deliver.   Only one link you have posted and all it is is a several year old comparison between the H60 and another air cooler.

If you're going to take on the job of denouncing all liquid coolers then by all means enlighten us all as to where you got your info from

Your claims:

1-documented test results that show how inferior the majority of closed loop coolers are -----------Where is this documented test result?  Who conducted it?

2-The test data shows how poor the Corsair H series coolers are-----What test data?  From where?

3-the majority of coolants are water based with additives ---This info came from where? 

No judgement, it's just that you are making some pretty big claims about a heavily used system of CPU cooling and it would be great to know where you get your info from.

I browse overclock.net, toms hardware, pureoverclockers, overclockers.com, trubritar.com and in none of these tech sites are there any posts/threads that outright denounce the use of liquid cooling as a whole the way you have.  Specific models here and there? Yes.  Specific cases here and there? Yes.  Mass hyteria judgement on all liquid cooling? Never.  

FX-8350|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0|H80i|GTX 770SC 4GB|GSkill Ripjaws 16GB 

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » FX-8350 Overheating

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84241 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.