Topic Title: 20nm
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/27/2014 08:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/27/2014 08:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

most know that SSD drives are more expensive than hard disks

recently I noticed some new models at 20nm

my CPU is sadly nowhere near 20nm, my video card is 28nm

I would like a CPU at 20nm as it would be way more energy efficient

Yo AMD, can somebody die shrink a good CPU core?

-------------------------

03/27/2014 11:34 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

AMD like all makers is transitioning to smaller nodes as appropriate. It's a huge financial investment to drop nodes. Any node lower than 32nm results in minute performance gains and is primaritly for lower power consumption. For most desktop users 32nm is not an issue. AMD has just transitioned to 28nm with Kaveri. Most people don't understand the minimal gains for the huge investment as node size is reduced. For all practical purposes it's pointless for most of the market.

GloFo has working 20nm but there is no rush to use it because it doesn't offer any particular advantages nor does Intel's. The smaller node size is used primarily for marketing.

Intel has stopped their development of larger wafer sizes and lower node sizes because of world economics and the billions required to continue development. Intel didn't even furnish the latest Fab due to lack of demand for CPUs.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

03/27/2014 08:46 PM

Author Icon
neo5555
Case Modder

You failed to mention the ( most important ) fact that smaller nodes result in higher yields on the same size wafer hence increasing profits..

Pics of my rig
i7 4770k, custom water cooling, 8Gig Corsair Dom 2133 9-11-10-27, ASrock Z87 OC Formula, SilverStone ST-1500 PSU, Creative X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500D , 2xHIS 7970 CF, Asus VW246H Monitor, Win 7 64Bit HP, Corsair 800D Case

03/27/2014 10:02 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The smaller node only improves yields once the process is well refined. In the early production there are low yields with every drop in node size.

I could have also mentioned that with smaller nodes and higher density that cooling the CPUs/GPUs becomes more difficult.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

03/28/2014 04:05 AM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

Beware. Thinner+more transistor= a lot more resistance at high clock speed so it's not that energy efficient since it does heat much more. To tell the thruth, the number of cores and clock speed it's the most important in a cpu, since most of transistors are inside the cache memory, it doesn't mean your cpu will go faster. It just means it will be able to keep more instructions to work with in the cycles itself. Reason why any game will ask as requirements number of cores and clock speed, not how much cache or transistor there's in. Now for calculations gpu does the work, reason why intel and amd making theses integrated gpu in cpu and working on opencl and stuff like that,it's not only to hybrid with graphic cards.

03/28/2014 11:22 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

A CPU that is not such a power pig is attractive and has more L3 is fine for my needs

Statistics
87383 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.