Topic Title: A stick in the CPU shed ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/27/2014 09:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/27/2014 09:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Reddorki
Peon

It's rather quiet lately in the pure FX/Desktop CPU's from AMD. So, my question is what can AMD do on this section to get back in business :

- Return to the Phenom period, but with an improved concept and smaller die ?

- Continue on the existing Bulldozers, with an improved concept and smaller die ?

- Use the GPU-processor (seems to work well for Coin Mining), make an instruction set for it and use it as a CPU ?

03/27/2014 11:26 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

AMD will only have the Vishera discrete desktop CPUs for quite awhile. They will eventually offer a better desktop CPU but it's a couple years away. They dropped the ball badly on the desktop front expecting everyone to jump on Kaveri, which isn't going to happen.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

03/27/2014 02:32 PM

Author Icon
Reddorki
Peon

Never understood why AMD hasn't tried or considered the path of using the processing unit of a GPU as a CPU. It's clear to me that those have more performance (see BitCoin Mining) then normal CPU's or their current CPU-line. It mebbe a step to consider.

Edited: 03/27/2014 at 03:04 PM by Reddorki
 03/28/2014 04:33 AM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

AMD is not that bad, since Intel lost many times in court and have to pay, they even sold defective chipsets and their cpu are much more expansive too, and trying to show that they are faster than amd in gaming but it's not the case, they use hybrid mode with IGPU to get bit more fps.Since they have Havok physics, many games uses this and they can get bit performance too on that but they not faster. For single core performance, i would say since the 90s, not many softwares really uses that kind of technology, most games or softwares uses minimum 2-4 cores and now they using 4-8 cores +. Just to bad if people think AMD is in bad shape, they bought Seamicro in 2012 i think, and ATI in 2006-2007, and what about the AMD/ARM processors for data center?

Statistics
84908 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.