Topic Title: Smudges on AMD Phenom II 965 BE
Topic Summary: Smudges on AMD Phenom II 965 BE and higher temps
Created On: 04/04/2014 08:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/04/2014 08:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ewegoggo
Peon

Hi! I've recently mounted a new heatsink to my 1,5 yrs old AMD Phenom II 965 BE. I noticed a small, unlcleanable smudge on the surface in outer region. (I use isopropyl alcohol) Temps were finally great and I've managed to score just 39C in high stress. However, there had been a small movement of heatsink due to moving and temperatures rose. I decided to reclean and reapply my CM Hyper 212 EVO and change my thermal compund from standard CM's one to higher quality. I have also seen additional smudge that remained uncleaneable. Temperatures were still higher, so I decided to retry whole process few weeks later. There are now 3-4 smudges on CPU's surface and temps are still higher, hovering around 52C in stress. Should I try to reapply thermal compund for 3rd time? Are those smudges resulting in higher temps? I aim to regain the silence I once could enjoy when temps were lower.

04/04/2014 09:32 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The smudges or staining on the heat spreader have nothing to do with a change in temp.

Any of the top 25 TIMs produces the same temp within 2C. CPU temp is affected by ambient room temp also. You only need a very thin film of TIM. More TIM is NOT better as it's only intended to fill imperfections in the surfaces of the heat spreader and heatsink base.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

04/07/2014 03:43 PM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

If you really think your cpu is dirty, try car brake cleaner, it whipes any compound anything on your cpu and dry up really quickly much better than alcohol, and if it still residu it's maybe nothing much but if you can feel your heatskink move you maybe have a problem with your heatsink assembly you need to checkout, it can be tight but beware not too tight ok.

04/07/2014 04:15 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It's normal. On another note, use Arctic Silver ArctiClean to clean off old TIM, it take a heck of a lot less elbow grease and time than even 100% alcohol.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84311 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.