Topic Title: are FX8320 and 970 extreme4 compatible?
Topic Summary: Cant fit the cooling unit latches over both sides
Created On: 04/09/2014 10:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/09/2014 10:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kokoblack
Peon

did it get the wrong parts? i have put together pcs together before but never this difficult to attach the cooling unit.

04/10/2014 04:04 AM

Author Icon
-rascal-
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: kokoblack did it get the wrong parts? i have put together pcs together before but never this difficult to attach the cooling unit.

MAKE SURE THE CPU IS INSTALLED CORRECLTY INTO THE SOCKET!!

Match up the "little triangle" that is located on one corner of the CPU, to the "little triangle" on the CPU socket on the motherboard.

If you are using the stock CPU heatsink that came with the FX-8320, it should just work with the mounting system on the motherboard. Make sure the locking clip is in the "unlocked" position. It will require a little bit of pressure to get it mounted.

The FX-8320 is NOT on the support list for the AsRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard. The 95W alternative - the FX-8300 - is under the support list.

The AsRock 970 Extreme4 also a 4+1 power phase design. If you plan to do any overclocking with the FX-8320, I suugest that you get return the motherboard, and get something more capable (if you still can).

You typically want a 4+2 power phase motherboard as a MINIMUM, and a 6+2 or 8+2, of better, if you plan to do any high frequency and high votlage overclocking. The FX-8350 / FX-8350 pulls in a lot of current/power when you are pushing ~4.8GHz and shoving lots of voltages/current at it.

-------------------------

Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.1GHz FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Sapphire Radeon HD Dual-X 7970 @ 1150/1500 // Thermaltake Frio w/ push-pull (using Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond + Cooler Master JetFlo fans) // 8GB (2 X 4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX 2133MHz  // Corsair TX850 850W // Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS) // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // Windows 7 Ult x64

04/13/2014 09:49 AM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

That motherboard does support any vishera/piledriver http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=CPU and to attach the stock cooler your only need to put it on the good side, put the side lockers under the tabs and turn the little lever on one side to tight it.

Originally posted by: -rascal-
Originally posted by: kokoblack did it get the wrong parts? i have put together pcs together before but never this difficult to attach the cooling unit.

MAKE SURE THE CPU IS INSTALLED CORRECLTY INTO THE SOCKET!!

Match up the "little triangle" that is located on one corner of the CPU, to the "little triangle" on the CPU socket on the motherboard.

If you are using the stock CPU heatsink that came with the FX-8320, it should just work with the mounting system on the motherboard. Make sure the locking clip is in the "unlocked" position. It will require a little bit of pressure to get it mounted.

The FX-8320 is NOT on the support list for the AsRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard. The 95W alternative - the FX-8300 - is under the support list.

The AsRock 970 Extreme4 also a 4+1 power phase design. If you plan to do any overclocking with the FX-8320, I suugest that you get return the motherboard, and get something more capable (if you still can).

You typically want a 4+2 power phase motherboard as a MINIMUM, and a 6+2 or 8+2, of better, if you plan to do any high frequency and high votlage overclocking. The FX-8350 / FX-8350 pulls in a lot of current/power when you are pushing ~4.8GHz and shoving lots of voltages/current at it.

04/13/2014 09:56 AM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

The motherboard is 140watt tdp you should be able to overclock it a little but i don't recommand with stock cooler, as i wrote on the other post to install the heatsink put the clips under side tabs , turn the lever to lock it and tight in place than upgrade your bios for most stability,All 970 chipset should work with vishera/piledriver cpu should be ok.

04/14/2014 01:08 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The OE HSF attachment can cause more than a little trepidation when installing the OE cooler as the spring pressure is pretty high. Make sure the hook on the one side stays in the proper position as you try to fasten the other side. Often the mechanism will slide sideways and out of proper alignment thus requiring excessive pressure to proper latch if you can latch it at all.

The chipset be it 970 or 990 has no bearing on the CPU/socket/Heatsink Fan assembly. As long as you have the correct AM3+ mobo and CPU you are fine.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

04/15/2014 11:03 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Overclocker

Better yet....install a water cooling system and be done with it!

Non-noob components.

Statistics
84679 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.