Topic Title: FX-6300 - misleading cpu temperature
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/16/2014 07:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/16/2014 07:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KURTERSULTEN
Peon

Hey guys. I have a FX-6300 cpu and I can't read correct temps. Plenty of people out there have same problem as me even with other FX cpu's. Tried HWmonitor and got 10-15 degrees idle, but as I stress the cpu to 100% temps goes up to 45-50 degrees. BIOS shows perticular temps. CPU: 58 degrees. Motherboard: 35 degrees. The temperature difference between CPU and Motherboard seems not realistic to me. I have also tried the ControlCenter program from MSI, and it shows more correctly temps. 42 degress idle and 60 degrees load. But what to trust here? Anybody know something about this problem and got a solution?

04/16/2014 08:10 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Like this sticky? 

**STICKY** | Correct information on how to read your CPU temps

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

04/16/2014 11:39 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

There's a glitch in the temperature measurement for FX series processors where readings below 45°C are generally incorrect. Motherboard temperatures can generally be disregarded these days assuming you have proper airflow. 60°C load does seem a bit high, but if that's the stock chunk of aluminum AMD calls a heatsink then I could see it. Nothing to worry about that much, but if you live in an area where the ambient temperature indoors is above 73°F/24°C during the summer months, you might want to look at an aftermarket heatsink just to be on the safe side. I'd suggest the Corsair H50 Quiet Edition for $50. If you do get an aftermarket heatsink, remember it can be used for future upgrades.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/17/2014 11:20 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Just use the applet Core Temp which reads the FX processor internal "core temp" reasonably close in the 40C-70C range as confirmed by AMD engineering to me. "CPU temp" is NOT the actual CPU "internal core temp" but a thermister below the CPU socket that typically reads 10C-25C higher than the CPU "internal core temp"under full load, depending on the thermal load and length of time under this load. All that matters is that your CPU is at or below the 24/7 max CPU "internal core temp". Unfortunately AMD does a piss poor job of listing the max 24/7 internal core temps for the specific CPU models online so you usually have to drag this information out of AMD tech support...

AMD engineering is aware that all of the popular temp software including AMD Overdrive IMPROPERLY read the CPU internal core temps below ~40C. There are even cases where the software will show temps below ambient at idle which of course is impossible with air cooling.

The latest version of AMD Overdrive tries to resolve this issue but they introduced another temp issue where the latest version of AOD uses "thermal margin" instead of actual "internal core temp". The thermal margin deal would be OK except for the fact AMD chose to use the TjMax temp for the FX CPUs instead of the proper max 24/7 CPU internal core temp. As a result the latest iteration of AOD V4.3.1.0690  gives a false margin that can be as much as 9C above the true CPU max 24/7 operating temp on the FX-8xxx series as an example. This can mislead PC enthusiasts and cause system crashes, BSOD and screen freezing even though AOD will indicate there is still safe thermal margin headroom..

I explained the problem in detail in the link below.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=446&threadid=172872&enterthread=y

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 04/17/2014 at 11:31 AM by AMDforMe
 04/17/2014 07:07 PM

Author Icon
KURTERSULTEN
Peon

Okay. As I undestand the "thermal margin" is a thermister under the CPU and the internal "core temp" is the real CPU temp?

Installed Core Temp and this program shows internal "core temp" and not the "thermal margin" temps which AMD Overdrive does? 

It will first read internal "core temps" corretly if it gets over 40c?

Is Tj.Max the max temp for internal "core temp" under full load?

04/18/2014 11:08 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

You could try the method of ALWAYS designing with thoughtfulness a system that provides more and better cooling and airflow than is required even for substantial to extreme overclocking and not being concerned with technical details and jargon.

Non-noob components.

04/19/2014 01:18 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

TjMax is the temp that the CPU starts to regulate itself to keep from burning up.

The thermister under the CPU is typical labled "CPU temp"even though it's not. It's a carry over from the days before there was an internal temp sensor.

The applet Core Temp and other temp applets that read the internal CPU core temp the same as Core Temp does are most accurate in the 40C-70C range. The farther the temp gets from 40C the more inaccurate the readings. Thus idle temps are completely inaccurate but they matter not anyways. The only temp that really matters is the full load temp. As long as you stay below the 24/7 internal core temp for your specific model FX CPU all is fine.

Thermal margin is just AMD Overdrive's calculation of thermal headroom between the current CPU internal core temp and TjMax. In the case of the FX-8000 series CPUs the TjMax is 70C. The max 24/7 temp however for the FX-8000 series is 61C so the thermal margin deal is bogus and misleading by 9C on the FX-8000 series. Other models of FX CPUs can have different max 24/7 and TjMax temps. AMD however does not list all of the proper tech info. online as they should...

Testing has shown that the FX-8000 series can start to show BSODs, crashes and freezes at temps in the 65C-66C and higher range - well before the 70C TjMax temp is reached. That is why you want to use the 24/7 max internal core temp of 61C and NOT use the latest version of AOD which is defective in design by showing a false thermal margin based off of 70C instead of 61C. AMD's published tech specs for some of the FX-8000 series confirms the 61C max 24/7 temp and AMD engineering has also confirmed this to me personally in writing.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=770&f1=AMD+FX+8-Core+Black+Edition&f2=&f3=&f4=1024&f5=AM3%2b&f6=&f7=32nm&f8=&f9=5200&f10=False&f11=&f12=True

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 04/19/2014 at 09:42 PM by AMDforMe
Statistics
86441 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.