Topic Title: Phenom II X4 960T Multiplier Throttled
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/16/2014 11:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/16/2014 11:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Maccyjam
Peon

Hi,

For the past few months now, my CPU has been randomly throttling itself by reducing the multiplier from x15 to x4, effectively making it run at a quarter of the speed.

I have not completed ruled out overheating as when this throttling occurs, any application that can show CPU temperatures shows it at either 255 degrees (CoreTemp) or -185 degrees (AMD OverDrive Thermal Margin).

I have tried disabling AMD Cool 'n' Quiet as that causes the multiplier to vary, although that did not help. 

I am currently using:

AMD Phenom II X4 960T

nVidia GeForce 760T 4GB

MSI 970a-G45

Corsair 650W PSU

Any help in fixing this throttling issue would be greatly appreciated!

05/16/2014 10:30 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

You could try manually setting the multiplier.

There should be no reason for Core Temp to not read the CPU temp properly in the 40C-70C range. Usually strange temp readings are a mobo issue if the software is known to be good. It's possible there is a BIOS issue also. You could try an older or newer BIOS if need be to see if it eliminates the problem.

FWIW- AMD Overdrive's "thermal margin" reads improperly so I would not recommend using it.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=446&threadid=172872&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

05/18/2014 07:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Maccyjam
Peon

I am unable to set the multiplier myself. I set it to x15, but nothing actually changes. Someone else told me it could be a motherboard issue too, but could the motherboard also be causing the throttling as well as the incorrect temperature reading?

Also, I found that disabling something in my BIOS called 'Smart CPU Protection' stopped the throttling, buit the overall performance of the computer still felt slow and sluggish.

05/18/2014 06:07 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

CPU Smart Protection is typically a safety device to prevent the CPU from overheating - by throttling it.

Yes the mobo/BIOS could cause the incorrect CPU temp readings and throttling.

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Statistics
86629 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.