Topic Title: Which temperatures to trust?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/29/2014 02:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/29/2014 02:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

Hello everyone,

I build this pc a few days ago: http://austinnotduncan.com/builds/photon
And i have an issue with the temperatures of the AMD 760k.
A day after i build it and used it for a few hours i installed HWmonitor and AMD Overdrive, which both showed at "Package" that my cpu was 50-70 at idle, and 70-90 at full loud.
Then i went ahead and installed Aida64, MSI Clickbios and those showed 40-50 while idle and 50-70 while gaming.
Both are rather high so i ended up buying some Arctic Silver 5 and used that just to be sure.
Now all those temperatus lowered by 10 degrees.
But i'm still unsure which i should trust.
60-80 is still damn high while gaming and (i guess) will be really bad for the cpu.
So, which one is the correct one?
I'm using the stock cooler btw.

Thanks,
Linuxfreak23 

06/30/2014 10:29 AM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

I suggest using the applet Core Temp as many software programs mis-read the newer AMD CPUs. You always want to reading the internal temp, not the "CPU temp".

"Package temp" is intended to be the internal "core temp" but none of the software suppliers are willing to confirm this because the software isn't processing the temp output data from the CPU/APUs properly and thus you get crazy high temps. The only temps that read properly are in the 40C-70C range according to AMD engineering. That includes AMD Overdrive.

The stock AMD CPUAPU coolers work fine unless you have very high ambient temps of 90F continuously.

06/30/2014 10:48 AM

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

I'm afraid that AMD Overdrive's Thermal Margin is showing me the same as Package from HWmonitor (120 - thermal margin=package from hwmonitor).
Though, AMD Overdrive does get stuck on 70 degrees very often (while HWmonitor does not).
You say that this temperature isn't important, but i saw on the AMD website that 74 degrees celcius is the max, while (according to AMD overdrive & hwmonitor) it goes over the 74 degrees, all the way to a max of 85.
Where can i read this internal temp?
For me, coretemp is always displaying 0 degrees celcius (and doesn't change) 

The ambient temperature in my room is ~70 F/22 celcius 

06/30/2014 11:02 AM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

You may have a mobo issue as Core Temp should not read zero. At the moment Core Temp is the only temp software that I would trust to read the internal "core temp".

The point I was making is the "other temps" which are NOT internal core temp have no bearing on the CPUs performance. The internal core temp is what AMD uses to regulate the CPUs temp. The CPU has built in control that throttles the frequency and vcore if it gets too hot. You can use OCCT or similar to see if the vcore drops to .875v and 1400 MHz. under full load while gaming or running P95. If not then your CPU isn't hitting the built in thermal limiter. An overheating mobo VRM circuit can also cause the CPU frequency and vcore to drop.

AMD's latest iteration of Overdrive that uses "thermal margin" is defective in design. I do not recommend using it. You might want to check with your mobo maker to see if there is a latest BIOS to address temp readings on the 760K CPU.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=446&threadid=172872&enterthread=y

06/30/2014 11:06 AM

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

I haven't updated my BIOS yet.
just a question: do i need to do all the updates 1 by 1 or can i just install the latest?
If you don't understand what i'm talking about:

for ex. if i had version 2.1, and the latest is 2.3, can i just install 2.3 or do i have to install 2.2 first? 

06/30/2014 11:09 AM

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

I just noticed something: The update notes of the bios says "* Please use Trinity CPU to update BIOS before changing to Richland CPU."
but my cpu is a Richland CPU and i don't have any Trinity CPU's around :/ 

06/30/2014 11:56 AM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

You should be able to just use the latest BIOS. You don't need to install one after the other. You can check with your mobo maker in regards to updating with Trinity first. That should not be required but see what they say.

Also make sure that you are using the latest version of Core Temp or other software as the software gets updated as new CPUs/APUs are released and/or if issues are discovered - the same as mobo BIOS.

06/30/2014 11:58 AM

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

I have the latest version of Core Temp.

And it says that i need a Trinity CPU to flash to a newer version (maybe because this is an older motherboard).

06/30/2014 12:04 PM

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

Wait a second.....

Does this mean i have to use a Trinity CPU to flash the bios or if i come from an version that does not support Richland, that i first have to insert an Trinity CPU? 

06/30/2014 12:29 PM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

Typically you update the BIOS before changing to a newer CPU because the older BIOS is unable to properly identify the new CPU and set the default vcore and frequency. In many instances the PC won't boot at all so you were lucky.

You should double check with your mobo maker but as long as your PC is booting OK you might be able to just go forward with the latest BIOS update.

06/30/2014 12:48 PM

Author Icon
linuxfreak23
Peon

I just submitted a Support ticket, so i guess i'll have to wait for that.

Statistics
88752 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.