Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: New AMD 9590 cpu a disappointment: High VID and no stability at 4.85 GHZ
Topic Summary: Won't overclock to 5.0GHZ have Asus Crosshair Formula Z motherboard adb H100i Cooling
Created On: 06/30/2014 09:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/30/2014 09:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

I just got this chip last week after having a sub-par 8350 for 2 years and deciding to get a highly binned cpu so I could push my overclocking. The chip has a very high VID of 1.488 volts . My old 8350 had a VID of 1.325  volts and was only able to do a stable overlcock to 4.75 GHZ even with a Swiftech H320 cooler. This chip is not much better. I have not been able to have a stable overlock at 4.84 GHZ. When I run Prime 95 the system either will lock up after a minute or actually shut down. While my Swiftech H320 is being returned for pump replacement, I bought and installed a Corsair H100i. I can't achieve a stable overlcok above 4.75 GHZ on this 9590. ATR 4.75 GHZ I must use 1.56 cpu core voltage. This chip is not worthy of the FX-9590 moniker. I hope AMD will do right by me. My memory is G. Skill Trident-X 2400 MHZ . I have two 8 GB sticks. I even lowered the clock to 2133 just in case the the IMC was the cause of instability. It made absolutely no difference.  Like I said I have teied a whole host of settings, I am NOT a novice at overclocking. I have top quality components. The verdict in my eyes is a mis labeled 9590. It should never have been labeled as such.

-------------------------

reality is an objectively measured phenomena. Reality constantly changes following the laws of dialetical materialism. Laws governing this change are: 1. Quantity into quality 2. Limits 3. Unity of opposites 4. Negation of the negation.

06/30/2014 10:23 AM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

The CPUs aren't mis-marked. They are tested and speed binned immediately. The FX-9xxx series are factory overclocked CPUs to start so they don't have much headroom left.

All CPUs of a given series are the same design and are just speed binned based on their ability to run at a specific frequency and vcore voltage. An FX-8350 and FX-8320 are the same CPU. An FX-8350 and an FX-9590 are the same CPU. The difference is that AMD has raised the vcore on the FX-9xxx CPU to allow it to run at a higher default frequency. Expecting that you'll be able to significantly OC an FX-9xxx series CPU is a false belief as it's not going to happen. Some folks get to 5 GHz. but not many with P95 stability. The mobo and BIOS have a lot to do with this also.

4.75 GHz. from an FX-8350 is a good stable OC. Mine does 4.7 GHz at 1.462v, no problem. IMO the FX-8350 is the smart move for those who know how to OC. The FX-9xxx are for those who want a little higher frequency than a stock FX-8350 with a warranty, without them needing to know how to OC.

You seem to be expecting too much from your FX CPUs as far as OC'ing goes. If all you care about is high clocks then you can drop the DDR3 to 1866 or 1600 MHz. with two 2GB DIMMs. for a lighter IMC load. It may or may not help depending on what the CPU/mobo/BIOS limitation is.

Edited: 06/30/2014 at 10:54 AM by AMD4ME
 06/30/2014 11:12 AM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

Totally disagree with your fluff-off of my criticism. The chip should be able to to overclock above its rated 4.7 GHZ. If I can not achieve a stable 4.84 GHZ that indicates a chips that has poor overclock capability. You can't deny this unless you have a world is flat syndrome. The chip should easily be stable at upwards of 4.9 GHZ if it is binned properly. I had a POOR FX 8350 that I purchased one month aftetr that chip was available and I got it stable at 4.74 GHZ. You are a telling me it is perfectly normal for an FX-9590 to only be stable in the 4.7+ GHZ range. I would say you are playing the salesman instead of consumer advocate role here. I deserve a replacement cpu and If I get no cooperation from you I will remember you when I speak to John Taylor about this.

reality is an objectively measured phenomena. Reality constantly changes following the laws of dialetical materialism. Laws governing this change are: 1. Quantity into quality 2. Limits 3. Unity of opposites 4. Negation of the negation.

Edited: 06/30/2014 at 11:22 AM by os2wiz
 06/30/2014 11:21 AM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

The FX 8350 rarely goes to 5.0 GHZ since the advent of the FX-9370 and FX-9590. That is because they bin the best chips for the FX-9370 and 9590.  I am not expecting too much. I paid close to $300 for a chip that is no better than a run of the mill FX-8350 with overclock abilities. That should NOT be the case. I care about performance. I have never dropped my memory speeds to 1600 to achieve my overclocks and there is no reason for me to start doing that now. I will be relentless about this issue until it is properly resolved. I know some people in AMD and if have to go that way I will. You need a lesson in improving your customer care skills and knowing your facts a little better.

06/30/2014 11:59 AM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

OK suit yourself but AMD does NOT give any guarantee in regards to overclocking. You get what you get which is a higher default frequency of 4.7 GHz. That's all they guarantee plus turbo mode of 5.0 GHz. which is under partial, not full load use.

BTW, no fluff, just reality. You don't seem to understand that the FX-9xxx CPUs are ALREADY OVERCLOCKED and as such have little headroom for increases in frequency. This is documented all over the Net.

06/30/2014 12:22 PM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

You fail to acknowledge my key point, virtually every FX-8350 can achieve a stable 4.7 GhZ overclock if one has a quality 990FX motherboard with better than 6+2 vrm support and adequate cooling preferably liquid cooling with 240mm radiator. So why would one buy a FX-9590 to run it at only 4.7 GHZ and spend one hundred dollars extra? Whether or not guaranteed, the presumption it is more highly binned and has a better chance for an overclock in the5.0 GHZ range My chip was not highly binned since its performance is no beter than an average FX-8350.  That makes it a dud as an 9590 in every enthusiast's eyes. Get it?

06/30/2014 01:38 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The reason people buy highly clocked chips is because they do not want to overclock. The reason people buy lower clocked chips is because they want to overclock. Overclocking is not a guaranteed capability, despite what manufacturers would have us believe, because of a process of product binning. There is nothing which says that chip you have could run anything faster than 4.7ghz using all cores.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/30/2014 04:23 PM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

Boy you can read labels and spout legalisms. The fact is a higher percentage of 9590's do 5.0 GHZ than 8350's,  that can be proven scientifically, The 9590 is not sold as a fixed multiplier chip and is supposed to have overclock capability over it's rated frequency. How much varies per chip . Perhaps you will be rewarded for defending AMD's indefensable position on my 9590 chip with some free hardware or at least brownie points.

06/30/2014 07:04 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You said it yourself "how much varies per chip." And this amount can equal 0mhz.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/30/2014 07:30 PM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

"Varies per chip" does NOT mean zero over stock frequency. Sorry it has to have some overclock capability above the stock 4.7 GHZ. I can't find it on this chip. I will insist on a replacement chip . If you don't like what I say you may go elsewhere because I am not taking any nonsense from anyone here. I am hunkering down here and sticking to my guns on this issue.

06/30/2014 07:47 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Good luck getting a replacement chip. It is functioning within established parameters, and as you have already admitted to having overclocked it, your warranty is null and void.

06/30/2014 08:35 PM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

Originally posted by: os2wiz "Varies per chip" does NOT mean zero over stock frequency. Sorry it has to have some overclock capability above the stock 4.7 GHZ. I can't find it on this chip. I will insist on a replacement chip . If you don't like what I say you may go elsewhere because I am not taking any nonsense from anyone here. I am hunkering down here and sticking to my guns on this issue.

There is absolutely NO GUARANTEE on anything when it comes to overclocking. Show me AMD's warranty where it states that your FX-9590 will OC to a specified frequency... In fact the warranty states OC'ing VOIDS the warranty so it's not a matter of what I believe it's what is in writing in the warranty. You have no legitimate claim as your CPU functions as advertised.

You can hunker down until Hell freezes over and it's not going to fix your personal issues. You made some assumptions and now you're angry and frustrated because your assumptions were wrong. Next time you might want to do your homework before spending $300 on a factory overclocked FX-8350 CPU.

There is only so much headroom in the Vishera CPUs and you've probably found the limit for your's though you didn't seem to understand why I suggested lowering the RAM frequency to see if that was the limiting factor. Maybe you don't have as much OC'ing expertise as you think you have? Your negative attitude certainly isn't going to make your situation better, that's for certain.

06/30/2014 11:30 PM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

You really think a diss from an Intel fan boy will phase me?

06/30/2014 11:36 PM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

1. I did lower the freqency, the IMC is NOT the issue.Because you work for AMD and are a moderator here, that gives you license to be condescending and arrogant?I really have nothing further to discuss with you. Please butt out of my space.

07/01/2014 12:15 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

Originally posted by: os2wiz

1. I did lower the freqency, the IMC is NOT the issue.Because you work for AMD and are a moderator here, that gives you license to be condescending and arrogant?I really have nothing further to discuss with you. Please butt out of my space.

This is a peer to peer forum!

TY come again.

Oh! and I guess you missed this:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y

And a quote from Xbit labs review:

Summing up our overclocking experience, the FX-9370 and FX-9590 don’t seem to be overclocker-friendly. Their frequency potential is already used up by the manufacturer. So if you are interested in overclocking Socket AM3+ configurations, you may want to take a look at slower models such as the 8-core FX-8150 and FX-8350 which can be easily overclocked without such problems up to 4.6 to 4.8 GHz.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

Edited: 07/02/2014 at 02:25 PM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 07/01/2014 06:02 AM

Author Icon
neo5555
Case Modder

Originally posted by: os2wiz You really think a diss from an Intel fan boy will phase me?

My fist Intel CPU  but yeah, i'm a fanboy...   lol

You got a terrible attitude buddy..   people here are tryting to help you and because you don't like their answers you crap all over them.

Pics of my rig
i7 4770k, custom water cooling, 8Gig Corsair Dom 2133 9-11-10-27, ASrock Z87 OC Formula, SilverStone ST-1500 PSU, Creative X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500D , 2xHIS 7970 CF, Asus VW246H Monitor, Win 7 64Bit HP, Corsair 800D Case

Edited: 07/02/2014 at 02:26 PM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 07/01/2014 10:17 AM

Author Icon
AMD4ME
Peon

As if to highlight your personal issues with assumptions... I don't work for AMD and I'm NOT a moderator here. I've tried to help you understand your issues and assumptions and explain why you can't get what you want and expect.

This isn't your space BTW, it's an official AMD forum open to all. Most people here tried to help you but you have an attitude and you don't want to hear anything that disagrees with your false beliefs. That's unfortunate because your tantrums aren't going to fix your issues.

Your "key point" is invalid and based on your assumptions of what you believe the FX-9590 should provide vs. what AMD has stated it will provide. You're just spinning your wheels over a situation you can't change.

For the record many FX-8350 CPUs can not achieve a P95 stable 4.7 GHz. so this is another assumption you have gotten wrong and part of the reason for your misunderstanding of the situation. You don't seem to understand that the FX-9xxx series are just factory OC'd FX-8350 CPUs and as such the headroom of the FX-8350 is gone so the FX-9xxx can't possibly OC like the FX-8350 do. The FX-9xxx series are for people who don't know how to OC or who want a warranty on their factory OC'd CPU.

As noted before: There are NO GUARANTEES when it comes to overclocking. You get what you get and that's it. If you had done your homework you'd already know that ~5 GHz. is the max for the very best Vishera CPUs. 4.84 GHz. may be as good as your CPU will do? It's only guaranteed to do 4.7 GHz. and it does that so you have no reason to be complaining. You received more than what you paid for.

Hopefully you will learn from this experience what the consequences are when you make assumptions without understanding the technical issues involved.

Spewing hate is not going to make your CPU overclock any higher.

Edited: 07/01/2014 at 10:44 AM by AMD4ME
 07/01/2014 11:32 AM

Author Icon
os2wiz
Peon

It is not invalid. I never said I was guaranteed to get to 5.0 GHZ on a 9590. What I did say was there was a better chance of it than on 8350's. The 9590 is a highly binned chip with better heat and performance characterisitics than most 8350's. The fact I can't achieve stability at 4.8+ GHZ on this 9590 indicates it is at the bottom of the barrel among 9590's. Perhaps my bad luck perhaps not. Certainly not illogical. I am no dumb ass and those words do not belong on this forum. If you apologize for your disrespect I will NOT report you. If you chose to be proud about your repulsive behavior I will report you. I am upfront about what I say and do. it's in your ballpark. I see you make many posts here. Your possible suspension here should make you reconsider your disrespectful rants. The ball is in your court.

07/01/2014 03:31 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

This coming from the person who said

Sorry it has to have some overclock capability above the stock 4.7 GHZ. I can't find it on this chip. I will insist on a replacement chip .

You are an idiot, and an actual moderator should lock this thread soon.

07/01/2014 04:01 PM

Author Icon
neo5555
Case Modder

RedBull didn't give me wings. I demand a refund !

Pics of my rig
i7 4770k, custom water cooling, 8Gig Corsair Dom 2133 9-11-10-27, ASrock Z87 OC Formula, SilverStone ST-1500 PSU, Creative X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500D , 2xHIS 7970 CF, Asus VW246H Monitor, Win 7 64Bit HP, Corsair 800D Case

Statistics
85535 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.