Topic Title: AM3+ motherboard with PCI Express 3.0
Topic Summary: How to pair AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon 7000 Series (PCI Express 3.0) as all AM3+ boards only support PCI Express 2.0?
Created On: 10/25/2012 09:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/25/2012 09:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cristicatalan
n00b

Hello

AMD graphic cards with support for PCI Express 3.0 appeared on the market for quite some time, yet there is no AMD chipset supporting PCI Express 3.0 for AM3+. As I cannot find any information on the subject, I am wondering if anyone knows if:

1. There is any new chipset on the horizon for AM3+ with support for PCI Express 3.0.

2. If there is any performance penalty for a card like say Radeon 7850 on a PCI Express 2.0 slot regarding graphics and also computational instructions (OpenCL). What about a CrossfireX configuration with 2 cards on PCI Express 2.0?

These questions come related to the newly released AMD FX 8350 processor and Windows 8 OS, so I know it might take a while until community and proper reviews might give a conclusive point of view.

Chris

Edited: 10/25/2012 at 12:03 PM by cristicatalan
 10/25/2012 04:15 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

1.  Most likely, although it may not occur until the next socket/chipset release.

2.  You most likely won't notice much of a performance difference unless you are looking at a benchmark scores.  From what I've read so far is that PCI Express 2.0 x16 is roughly equal to PCI Express 3.0 x8 speeds and as I stated earlier, is not very noticeable.  If you are going to run CrossFire, make sure that your motherboard has at least two PCI Express 2.0 x16 lanes.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/29/2012 03:59 AM

Author Icon
cristicatalan
n00b

Thanks for your answer Canis-X

I cannot fully understand why AMD hasn't released a new chipset with PCI Express 3.0 support though, even if now there is no performance improvement. Maybe some folks (like me maybe) want to build a new system and not change the graphics card just yet, but in 1-2 years when maybe PCI Ecpress 2.0 will show it's limitations.

Statistics
80961 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.