Topic Title: AMD raid how recover
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/22/2013 09:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2013 09:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kzsolt2
Peon

I have two problem with AMD raid.

1). How I rebuild array (e.g. raid 1) without booting the operating system (and starting raid expert)? In original Promise bios this function was implented, but the AMD bios has no that kind of function.

2). How I recover my data if the motherboard crashed? Looks like the AMD raid store the disk data in special format. Therefore possible recover only if the drive installed onto the same type of raid chip. If I connect it to standard SATA port, I see no valid data to copy or recover.

02/22/2013 07:13 PM

Author Icon
matthelm
Peon

For 1, you'll need to read you MB manual.  I "think" you can recover from the BIOS.  (if the array is still valid, you just need to define it the same as it was)  If 1 drive is still OK, it SHOULD create the second automaticly.  (I've never used RAID 1)

On 2, this is true of 99.9999999% of RAID controllers.  Google it.  It's one of those reasons most "experts" say don't use ANY RAID.

02/23/2013 06:03 AM

Author Icon
kzsolt2
Peon

For 1, of corse the manual tell nothing about recover. Before I use new config in sensitive applcation I try how to recover. I'm sure the AMD raid bios not contain rebuild function, and not recover automaticly. This function moved to opsys driver utility.

For 2, I use many raid. For example the "parent" promise raid build its mirror in a way to help recovery disk data using normal controller. How to do its very simple. The raid information wirted and end of the disk. In that way the nmormal controller and opsys read its data without any problem, and I can save it if ths controller failed.

02/27/2013 03:46 PM

Author Icon
kzsolt2
Peon

Looks like just help yourself.

After more test the AMD raid work like Promise (raid1). Store the raid info at end of disk. If the motherboard crash, then you can connect its sata disk to standard sata controller (maybe external USB). You cannot start the opsys, but you have chance to save you're sensitive data from disk using standard copy.

Statistics
85760 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.