Topic Title: Looking for available AHCI/RAID Driver for SB7xx on Windows 8.1 x64
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/03/2014 02:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/03/2014 02:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Unicorn233
Peon

System Info.:

AMD Phenom X4 955 BE C2

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO, latest BIOS, AHCI is enabled for all ports

Powercolor HD5850 (Cannot remember specifications but it is the first released stock/BBA model)

Catalyst 13.12 WHQL, automatically installed by Win8.1

Windows 8.1 Pro x64. 

Issue Details

(Nothing was wrong until I changed from Win7 x64 to Win 8.1 x64.)

AMD AHCI Driver (Chipset Driver 13.12, support Win7 & Win8) cannot be installed through Install Manager, AHCI Driver does not show up in the list, only USB Filter (USB filter installation also failed). Then I tried to install AHCI driver manually (under 13-12_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI\W864A), it showed sucessful but I could not get into Windows after reboot, as I stuck at the loading screen (Win8 badge) with HDD LED long lighted.

Unable to go to safe mode, starting fixer was not effective either.

Then I went to the recover point where the system is installed. Problem was gone.

Questions:

1. Is there an AHCI/RAID driver for SB7xx series on Windows 8.1 works, or is there going to be one? I do not want to take the risk to try all drivers so some experts please tell me.

2. My system disk is a dynamic disk and Win 8.1 is in the first partition C:, is it possible to have a problem? (No problem in Win7)

3. When opening a folder with mutiple *.exe files, the explorer freezes for a while, depending on the number of exe files, the more the longer. Also, in these folders, operations like copy, delete, paste will have noticeable lag/delay, and speed of such operations is much slower than it is in Win7. I do enable some options like "open explorer windows in a separate process" but no help. This is the main reason for me to find an officical HDD driver, hoping to have better performance (nothing similiar happened in win7). Can any one help?

PS: I am a new member here and I may not give full understandable information, so please ask if you need more info.

Thank you

Edited: 03/29/2014 at 01:06 AM by Unicorn233
Statistics
85524 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.