Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: The Clevo 7970M Enduro/under-utilization debacle.
Topic Summary: A last ditch effort....
Created On: 08/07/2012 01:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/07/2012 11:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NeoCzar
n00b

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: NeoCzar   Alienware systems don't display this issue because there's the option of shutting off Enduro completely.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/681666-7970m-survey.html

When are we going to get a fix? Is AMD aware of the issue at all?

The problem being solved/non-existant in Alienware machines by a simple on/off selection seems to be pretty straight forward. Now I would ask myself, why doesn't Clevo include this option? AMD delivers the driver to Clevo....Clevo has the option to do anything it wishes with it. It reminds me of HP laptops with switchable graphics. HP in it's wisdom elected to give the option to use discrete graphics by a bios selection only to a select few of its 'switchable' graphics enabled notebooks. If you don't have that particular model, you are sol. I know this doesn't answer/solve your issue, but if it were me, and knew that the issue has been addressed by other similar laptops by a different company (Dell/Alienware) I would be screaming at my manufacturer. As AMD says  http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

No offense, but we're not here to debate Sager with long-time forum lurkers, but to get someone from AMD to say: "We're aware of the issue and this is what we're doing".

There's a hardware difference between AW and Clevo systems (MUX present in AW systems whereas in Clevo GPU goes through iGPU before display) that makes it necessary for Enduro to work properly. Plus it would be a funny strategy for AMD to release every new technology with its customers trying their hardest to avoid it because they know it's bugged hard

08/07/2012 11:15 AM

Author Icon
Omeganex9999
n00b

Originally posted by: stumpedThe problem being solved/non-existant in Alienware machines by a simple on/off selection seems to be pretty straight forward. Now I would ask myself, why doesn't Clevo include this option?

Because is not something that you can turn off using the drivers, you have to go to the bios and turn it off. It's not that simple and it's not a way of solving the problem, because that means that enduro must be deactivated every time you want to play and reactiveted afterward or else you're going to use the 7970m all the time (more power consumption, more noise)! Even if Clevo would give us the option to turn off Enduro (and I am not sure if you can do that with the hardware in the P1XXEM series) that wouldn't solve the problem at all.

Enduro is an AMD technology. While active, this tech heavily cripples the use of one of the best mobile GPU ever, if not the best... should we accept this and blame Clevo/Sager/Alienware?

08/07/2012 11:15 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: NeoCzar
Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: NeoCzar   Alienware systems don't display this issue because there's the option of shutting off Enduro completely.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/681666-7970m-survey.html

When are we going to get a fix? Is AMD aware of the issue at all?

The problem being solved/non-existant in Alienware machines by a simple on/off selection seems to be pretty straight forward. Now I would ask myself, why doesn't Clevo include this option? AMD delivers the driver to Clevo....Clevo has the option to do anything it wishes with it. It reminds me of HP laptops with switchable graphics. HP in it's wisdom elected to give the option to use discrete graphics by a bios selection only to a select few of its 'switchable' graphics enabled notebooks. If you don't have that particular model, you are sol. I know this doesn't answer/solve your issue, but if it were me, and knew that the issue has been addressed by other similar laptops by a different company (Dell/Alienware) I would be screaming at my manufacturer. As AMD says  http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

No offense, but we're not here to debate Sager with long-time forum lurkers, but to get someone from AMD to say: "We're aware of the issue and this is what we're doing".

There's a hardware difference between AW and Clevo systems (MUX present in AW systems whereas in Clevo GPU goes through iGPU before display) that makes it necessary for Enduro to work properly. Plus it would be a funny strategy for AMD to release every new technology with its customers trying their hardest to avoid it because they know it's bugged hard

Ok

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/07/2012 11:59 AM

Author Icon
fretboard

Originally posted by: NeoCzar

Also as far as I can see, you're not an admin here so please don't tell us to go take it elsewhere because we've obviously been trying to communicate with our resellers and this seems like a perfectly valid place to raise the complaint.

You what ? All I'm doing is telling you where the onus lies in regards to 3rd party machines, just because I'm not an Admin here means jack - I've dealt with nearly every 3rd party machine manufacturer imaginable in the past 30yrs working in the IT/PC field and know how they make their machines and where the support for them lies. That's all, end of story, nothing more to add really - apart from - I'd know who I'D be contacting if I was having the same issues etc.

If you can't take the advice, then there's no point in arguing over it or even asking the question and even less of a point in starting the old "You're not X, Y or Z" or starting the other age old "No point dealing with "forum lurkers"" type comments either ..

There are driver feedback forms to fill in, AMD's customer service to contact, CLEVO's customer service and driver people to contact etc etc .. there are even 2 or 3 AMD guys on Twitter who'd be only too happy to impart their knowledge too.

This is a user to user based forum, we can only tell you what we know ourselves, no point in shooting the messenger just because the answer given isn't one you can't or won't accept. If you're here for an argument, argue with somebody who'll take your bait cos I ain't going to.

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

Edited: 08/07/2012 at 02:57 PM by fretboard
 08/07/2012 12:17 PM

Author Icon
hulawafu77
n00b

As a 7970M owner of a Clevo notebook, I disagree completely.  This is all on AMD.  They released a technology without addressing that it borks performance.  AW users have to DISABLE this garbage tech for it to function properly.  So this is NOT a Clevo problem, this is a AMD problem.  

We essentially paid $600 for this GPU and AMD doesn't have the courtesy to respond and acknowledge this problem?  CatalystCreator has the time to respond to desktop owners who paid far less than us?  It's not like we are behaving as if we are entitled here, we just want a functioning product.  We paid way too much to be ignored.  We're being treated as if we don't exist and our problem doesn't exist.  

Oh BTW, Nvidia Optimus works phenomenally well, the 680M users are getting performance beyond that of the a GTX 670 using official Nvidia drivers and using the SAME muxless design.  So no, it's not a Clevo problem, they did it right.  It's AMD that failed us and continue to fail.

As for patronizing us about what to do to get this resolved, get over yourself.  You think we haven't done all that?  We've had threads dedicated to get people to tweet CatalystCreator, threads dedicated to getting users to fill our the driver response form that AMD ignores, and we have had Sager to step in and contact them directly.  AMD's reponse has been, the problem doesn't exist.  

08/07/2012 01:00 PM

Author Icon
Seanzky
n00b

Originally posted by: hulawafu77 As a 7970M owner of a Clevo notebook, I disagree completely.  This is all on AMD.  They released a technology without addressing that it borks performance.  AW users have to DISABLE this garbage tech for it to function properly.  So this is NOT a Clevo problem, this is a AMD problem.  

We essentially paid $600 for this GPU and AMD doesn't have the courtesy to respond and acknowledge this problem?  CatalystCreator has the time to respond to desktop owners who paid far less than us?  It's not like we are behaving as if we are entitled here, we just want a functioning product.  We paid way too much to be ignored.  We're being treated as if we don't exist and our problem doesn't exist.  

Oh BTW, Nvidia Optimus works phenomenally well, the 680M users are getting performance beyond that of the a GTX 670 using official Nvidia drivers and using the SAME muxless design.  So no, it's not a Clevo problem, they did it right.  It's AMD that failed us and continue to fail.

As for patronizing us about what to do to get this resolved, get over yourself.  You think we haven't done all that?  We've had threads dedicated to get people to tweet CatalystCreator, threads dedicated to getting users to fill our the driver response form that AMD ignores, and we have had Sager to step in and contact them directly.  AMD's reponse has been, the problem doesn't exist.  

Exactly. I don't understand why fretboard would say this isn't AMD's fault. The Enduro issues exists across the board. If we contact one manufacturer or builder, what can they do about AMD's tech besides contact AMD themselves? And we've been there, done that as well. We have not yet ONCE heard back from AMD. Not once. We are here entering this forum like bats out of hell. We are frustrated. We bought the hype and found out that, despite the GPU being a good one, it's crippled by something called "Enduro". It's literally become like a bad word around NBR.

08/07/2012 02:10 PM

Author Icon
seafoam
Peon

Originally posted by: Seanzky

Exactly. I don't understand why fretboard would say this isn't AMD's fault. The Enduro issues exists across the board. If we contact one manufacturer or builder, what can they do about AMD's tech besides contact AMD themselves? And we've been there, done that as well. We have not yet ONCE heard back from AMD. Not once. We are here entering this forum like bats out of hell. We are frustrated. We bought the hype and found out that, despite the GPU being a good one, it's crippled by something called "Enduro". It's literally become like a bad word around NBR.

Because he is a hardcore fanboy through and through. That or he doesn't understand what any of you are saying.

Fret, let me try to put this in a way you can understand. Enduro is supposed to save power, heat and noise by switching to the IGP, right? It's also a feature AMD advertises for this purpose. They spent money developing it as well, which trickles down to us, the consumers. 

It does not work. Now if I bought a car and it said it came with x feature and it didn't work, but I could disable it, do you think I would be happy? No. 

There's no reason we should be expected to disable an advertised feature of the card so that we can use the rest of it to its potential. Running the GPU all of the time is causing unneeded heat and wear on the components. It needs to be adressed.

I was going to order mine yesterday, but seeing the lack of support that this issue is getting, I haven't.

AMD doesn't want to fix it, fine with me. I'll be going with a 680M. Before you attack me, the laptop I am on has a 5870M and my desktop is trifire 6970. I love AMD, but I'm not blind.

08/07/2012 02:35 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

This is getting way out of hand. I think everybodys point has been made. Users here have tried to share whatever they could to help, not knowing that this is such a big issue. NBR is after all a notebook forum. This forum deals for the most part with desktop issues and gaming. You have been supplied with the correct reporting form to the Catalyst crew to state your issues. This is the same form that everybody uses. Seafoam, I have a 5730m in my Asus laptop...you know as well as I that it doesn't run at full clocks until it is needed. Otherwise it clocks down to save power/heat etc. The same holds true if you could disable the onboard graphics and use the discreet graphics as primary. Name calling is stupid. Fan boys? Lurkers? What do you expect on a AMD game forum? Besides, with a sig like this, there is not much room to talk.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Author Icon
Seanzky
n00b

Originally posted by: fretboard  

@ Seanzky - I never said it wasn't AMD's fault at all, go read what I posted again.

@seafoam - Always the reaction of those people who can't read correctly and try to flame due to a basic lack of very basic English comprehension = "Let's do the childishly pathetic "fanboy"" comment. Do you know me ? No ! Enough said. Now go and learn to read correctly and then read what I posted again.

Oh, I also read, write and speak 4 languages fluently, so nah, that other slight about not understanding is way off the mark too. Easy enough mistake to make when trying to flame someone without knowing who you're trying to flame. You seem to have missed the point by 100000 miles, which isn't surprising seeing as you're too busy trying to flame instead of actually being able to read and comprehend an answer correctly.

As I said, don't take this out on me just for mentioning something - take your frustrations out on someone else at AMD/CLEVO/SAGER, as it's them who you should be directing your pent up, teenage angst towards, not I. TIA.

Well, we already tried everything we can so far and the latest effort we're venturing into is here in the AMD boards. Hence, this thread. Why  you got caught in the crossfire is because you are trying to tell us that we should take it up with Sager/Clevo who built the things, correct?

I read what you wrote, and no you didn't say in so many words that it's AMD's fault, but you're saying that we're better off trying things that we've already tried. Believe me, coming to these boards and starting this thread is not 'square one' for us. Someone above mentioned tweeting an AMD guy and filling out the forms. I've done that form/survey twice in addition to the multiple times others have tried... with ZERO results.

The first things we 7970M users are looking for is AMD acknowledging the problem. The second thing is some kind of assurance they are working on it. Last but not least, we want an ETA. We have paid for these cards, we aren't beta testers.

We appreciate you lending your expertise, but if you can stop trying to redirect us elsewhere and turning this thread into a flamewar, it'd be greatly appreciated. Really, really appreciated. Or if you want to help, maybe you can think of a way for us to reach AMD another way besides this forum.

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Look, person, or people, who knows if you are just one person with multiple accounts or not, a GPU in a laptop works differently than in a desktop, as in a laptop the are two GPUs (IGP and DGP) connected to a proprietary custom designed motherboard. Now, AMD may furnish the APU and dedicated GPU, which they also provide to Dell, HP, Toshiba, and several other manufacturers, but it is up to the manufacturer of the laptop to make sure all the features are supported, or that any features they cannot get to work correctly are disabled. Now, yes AMD provides a reference driver to the manufacturers, but it must be customized to the individual laptop model. If they don't do this, which it sounds like they didn't because a search for AMD Enduro doesn't bring up any widespread issues outside of Sager, then you wind up with undesired operation. It is not AMD's place to fix an OEM's problem, and there is no way that AMD CAN fix an OEM's problem, only the OEM can fix and OEM's problem, so stop complaining on here and go talk to the people whose fault it actually is.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/07/2012 02:44 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

@ Seanzky - Here's the page you need then :

http://www.amd.com/us/aboutamd/contact-us/Pages/contact-us.aspx

Past experience with DELL/COMPAQ/HP/Toshiba etc has always been that it's best to contact the manufacturer of a particular 3rd party pre-build or laptop, as it's their engineers who've decided how any given component or feature is or isn't used. That's why I posted up the footnote as is on AMD's website about the Enduro technology. If they see customers having issues, then their engineers get into contact with AMD's guys and work on things ( as was mentioned in the first post about beta drivers etc ).

Sorry, but the flamewar is being waged on one side here, from user seafoam's keyboard not mine. I've only posted up what the best thing to do would be, the attacks on a person's ability to understand and imagined allegiance to any particular company is all his doing and has been duly reported to avoid him turning it into a flamefest.

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

08/07/2012 02:49 PM

Author Icon
Seanzky
n00b

Originally posted by: fretboard @ Seanzky - Here's the page you need then :

http://www.amd.com/us/aboutamd/contact-us/Pages/contact-us.aspx

Past experience with DELL/COMPAQ/HP/Toshiba etc has always been that it's best to contact the manufacturer of a particular 3rd party pre-build or laptop, as it's their engineers who've decided how any given component or feature is or isn't used. That's why I posted up the footnote as is on AMD's website about the Enduro technology. If they see customers having issues, then their engineers get into contact with AMD's guys and work on things ( as was mentioned in the first post about beta drivers etc ).

Sorry, but the flamewar is being waged on one side here, from user seafoam's keyboard not mine. I've only posted up what the best thing to do would be, the attacks on a person's ability to understand and imagined allegiance to any particular company is all his doing and has been duly reported to avoid him turning it into a flamefest.

Well, I'm not trying to engage in a flamewar either. This is my 4th post and I haven't said anything offensive to anyone.

It's just very frustrating. NBR's Sager/Clevo sub-forum is consumed by these threads. We have tried everything by members all over the world, including calling them.

08/07/2012 03:25 PM

Author Icon
MeNtAl_DaRkNeSs
n00b

I just want some feedback from AMD, just like this:

Examples of answers I wished from AMD:

1- We know about the issue and we are working to solve the issue in the next Catalyst Drivers update, please wait;

2- Sorry but all users with issues should contact Clevo for them to release proper drivers, in order to solve the issue.

Is this too hard? Why Clevo and AMD keep buyers/customers in blank?!
I don't understand why...

Clevo P150EM
LED 15" LG Philips Matte Full HD | i7 3610QM | 16GB HyperX 1866MHz PNP | OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS(120Gb) + OCZ Agility 3 SSD (240Gb) + OCZ Nocti mSATA SSD (120 GB) | ex-AMD Radeon HD 7970M 1060/1435 2Gb DDR5 | KILLER 1102 Wireless Gaming 802.

08/07/2012 03:27 PM

Author Icon
Omeganex9999
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion Look, person, or people, who knows if you are just one person with multiple accounts or not, a GPU in a laptop works differently than in a desktop, as in a laptop the are two GPUs (IGP and DGP) connected to a proprietary custom designed motherboard. Now, AMD may furnish the APU and dedicated GPU, which they also provide to Dell, HP, Toshiba, and several other manufacturers, but it is up to the manufacturer of the laptop to make sure all the features are supported, or that any features they cannot get to work correctly are disabled. Now, yes AMD provides a reference driver to the manufacturers, but it must be customized to the individual laptop model. If they don't do this, which it sounds like they didn't because a search for AMD Enduro doesn't bring up any widespread issues outside of Sager, then you wind up with undesired operation. It is not AMD's place to fix an OEM's problem, and there is no way that AMD CAN fix an OEM's problem, only the OEM can fix and OEM's problem, so stop complaining on here and go talk to the people whose fault it actually is.

So what about HP/MSI/Alienware owners? But you're right, we have to blame Clevo because is their fault that the Enduro technology doesn't work in any notebook, be it Clevo or not. Or maybe, just maybe, I misread somewhere where it says that this awesome technology cripples cards. isgust;

08/07/2012 06:32 PM

Author Icon
spettow
n00b

This problem not only affects users of clevo, affects all notebooks with the 7970m

Moreover, affects not only the 7970m but also the 7950m

The reality is that the high-end cards for laptops are one small part of the universe of cards sold, and apparently AMD is not giving due attention because the problem is complicated and cost to repair the defect would not provide the returns ($) expected.

The only ones that lose here are the consumers who trusted and bought the company's products, in addition to those consumers who are still waiting for a miracle driver that fixes the problem.

It's been three months, and unfortunately I think that AMD will continue pretending the problem does not exist. So far the company only acted to censor threads that Sager had opened in NBR (shame!)

08/07/2012 07:37 PM

Author Icon
TrantaLocked
n00b

A small glimmer of hope shines behind the fact that Sager CAN help to fix the problem, and economically should because they only make laptops, meaning the 7970m makes up a large chunk of their production. Sager has stated that they have opened a case with AMD, but I am not sure if that means they are working on the issue in reality.

The fact that AMD wanted the thread closed shows that AMD has at least SOME THING to do with the 7970m not working properly, and is not happy about it. Maybe they were getting so much feedback (enough for sure) that they wanted it to stop coming in. But, they ARE the ones that developed Zero Core and Enduro, NOT Sager. Sager has a duty to produce the right OEM driver, but AMD ALSO has a duty to inform and help Sager in understanding Zero Core/Enduro and solving the problem. 

In the end, Sager has more work to do. The 7970m works PERFECTLY in a non-Enduro situation, INCLUDING the Sager HM series of the last generation in addition to Alienware models. This proves that there is nothing wrong with the 7970m chip itself, and that fact does indeed put more pressure on Sager and less on AMD. 

08/08/2012 04:56 AM

Author Icon
NeoCzar
n00b

No flame war. We just found it weird (and irritating, considering the money we spent on our expensive new dysfunctional systems. 6970M > 7970M in BF3 thanks to this issue) that the same member/two members insisted on posting over and over that it's not AMD's fault and that we should take it elsewhere. We were seeking some authority from AMD to speak whichever way, not for some "civilian" to "consult" with us on what we should do when we didn't invite him to.

In any case, this doesn't make AMD look good and specially asking for forum threads to be removed. I wouldn't mind AMD coming out and saying exactly what fretboard has been saying, but at least then we have an answer and know where to take it.

08/08/2012 06:24 AM

Author Icon
hulawafu77
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion Look, person, or people, who knows if you are just one person with multiple accounts or not, a GPU in a laptop works differently than in a desktop, as in a laptop the are two GPUs (IGP and DGP) connected to a proprietary custom designed motherboard. Now, AMD may furnish the APU and dedicated GPU, which they also provide to Dell, HP, Toshiba, and several other manufacturers, but it is up to the manufacturer of the laptop to make sure all the features are supported, or that any features they cannot get to work correctly are disabled. Now, yes AMD provides a reference driver to the manufacturers, but it must be customized to the individual laptop model. If they don't do this, which it sounds like they didn't because a search for AMD Enduro doesn't bring up any widespread issues outside of Sager, then you wind up with undesired operation. It is not AMD's place to fix an OEM's problem, and there is no way that AMD CAN fix an OEM's problem, only the OEM can fix and OEM's problem, so stop complaining on here and go talk to the people whose fault it actually is.

ROFL, yep, it's just one person raging with multiple accounts.  

We've been owners of AMD mobile gaming laptops for a long time.  Don't patronize us about the differences with laptops.  Just being disrespectful at this point.  This is not an OEM problem, this is an AMD problem.  This affects ANYONE that has a GCN based GPU.  

Don't bother replying since you've done no research into this issue and don't know what you are talking about.

You forgot: everyone who owns a laptop with an AMD GCN-based card (HD 7730/7750/7850/7970M, so far) has this issue (except Alienware when the MUX Bypass is enabled).

This means, HP (Envy 15/17 with 7750/7850M), DELL (XPS 15/17 with 7730M) are all affected as well.

I have an HP Envy 17 with 7850M and I'm also experiencing this issue.

Apparently HP's solution for the previous-generation AMD cards (HD 6770/6850M/7690M/XT) was to release a BIOS update which added an option to change the switchable graphics mode fromDynamic to Fixed.

This effectively allowed forcing the dedicated GPU to be on at all times.

But the new Envy with Ivy Bridge and 7750/7850M does not have this BIOS option.

08/08/2012 06:39 AM

Author Icon
patCRUZ
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion

You forgot: everyone who owns a laptop with an AMD GCN-based card (HD 7730/7750/7850/7970M, so far) has this issue (except Alienware when the MUX Bypass is enabled). This means, HP (Envy 15/17 with 7750/7850M), DELL (XPS 15/17 with 7730M) are all affected as well. I have an HP Envy 17 with 7850M and I'm also experiencing this issue. Apparently HP's solution for the previous-generation AMD cards (HD 6770/6850M/7690M/XT) was to release a BIOS update which added an option to change the switchable graphics mode fromDynamic to Fixed. This effectively allowed forcing the dedicated GPU to be on at all times. But the new Envy with Ivy Bridge and 7750/7850M does not have this BIOS option.

I think a bios update to let us switch off enduro is not the solution! I don't want to disable a good feature, more heat and stress to the hardwareI just that Enduro work properly.

I really hope this problem is a drivers issue and we will get it fixed on the next release.

08/08/2012 09:12 PM

Author Icon
MeNtAl_DaRkNeSs
n00b

Originally posted by: patCRUZ
Originally posted by: black_zion

You forgot: everyone who owns a laptop with an AMD GCN-based card (HD 7730/7750/7850/7970M, so far) has this issue (except Alienware when the MUX Bypass is enabled). This means, HP (Envy 15/17 with 7750/7850M), DELL (XPS 15/17 with 7730M) are all affected as well. I have an HP Envy 17 with 7850M and I'm also experiencing this issue. Apparently HP's solution for the previous-generation AMD cards (HD 6770/6850M/7690M/XT) was to release a BIOS update which added an option to change the switchable graphics mode fromDynamic to Fixed. This effectively allowed forcing the dedicated GPU to be on at all times. But the new Envy with Ivy Bridge and 7750/7850M does not have this BIOS option.

I think a bios update to let us switch off enduro is not the solution! I don't want to disable a good feature, more heat and stress to the hardwareI just that Enduro work properly.

I really hope this problem is a drivers issue and we will get it fixed on the next release.

I also hope for this problem to be fixed in the next release but... no one from AMD or Clevo gives feedback about this huge problem, so honestly I'm losing faith and considering on changing asap for the Nvidia GTX 680M.

Best Regards to all

Clevo P150EM
LED 15" LG Philips Matte Full HD | i7 3610QM | 16GB HyperX 1866MHz PNP | OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS(120Gb) + OCZ Agility 3 SSD (240Gb) + OCZ Nocti mSATA SSD (120 GB) | ex-AMD Radeon HD 7970M 1060/1435 2Gb DDR5 | KILLER 1102 Wireless Gaming 802.

Statistics
81037 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.