Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: The Clevo 7970M Enduro/under-utilization debacle.
Topic Summary: A last ditch effort....
Created On: 08/07/2012 01:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2012 10:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Prasko I've looked at IBP, all their laptops are clevo/sager, and msi.

Clevo/sager are the ones having issues with the 7970 right now atm.

As for MSI, I refuse to deal with them because of shoddy quality control.

Really they are having problems with the "enduro" application...not the 7970.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/26/2012 01:48 PM

Author Icon
Prasko
n00b

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: Prasko I've looked at IBP, all their laptops are clevo/sager, and msi.

Clevo/sager are the ones having issues with the 7970 right now atm.

As for MSI, I refuse to deal with them because of shoddy quality control.

Really they are having problems with the "enduro" application...not the 7970.

Semantics really. The fact is the card is having problems. Be it from drivers or hardware, I don't really know. 

All I was wondering is if AMD/ATI is working on it.

There's been no public announcement as to what they're doing, or if they're doing anything. So one has to wonder.

Don't wanna risk 2k$ on a 50/50 bet.

08/26/2012 07:30 PM

Author Icon
TrantaLocked
n00b

The 7970m chip itself isn't the problem, it is Enduro/drivers. When the iGPU is disabled in an Alienware, the 7970m performs 99%. In the Sager HM series upgraded with a 7970m, the card performs 99% because of the fact that there isn't even a switcheable system in the HM series. In all instances where Enduro is enabled (iGPU+dGPU simutaneuosly being used/switched between), including Sager/Clevo, Alienware, and HP, there is often extreme underutilization in games. Too bad Clevo decided not to let us disable the iGPU.

From the AMD news release for the 7000m series:

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1686440&highlight

"In addition to AMD Enduro technology, the AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series GPUs are also equipped with AMD power gating technology, which dynamically shuts down portions of the GPU when not in use, powering them back up when workloads increase"

The power gating function is most likely failing hard and wasn't optimized correctly. How it got through testing, I have no idea. I would like to make a suggestion to AMD, some thing that has been repeated many times: PLEASE give us the ability to bypass power gating. However the tech works, it keeps our frame rates down even when we lower game quality settings. I wish it worked because it sounds like an awesome idea. We just want 99% utilization so we can have the highest frame rate possible. We don't need power saving since we all game on AC power anyways. No one games on their laptop battery.

Edited: 08/26/2012 at 07:38 PM by TrantaLocked
 08/26/2012 09:15 PM

Author Icon
OMG7970M
n00b

Originally posted by: TrantaLocked The 7970m chip itself isn't the problem, it is Enduro/drivers. When the iGPU is disabled in an Alienware, the 7970m performs 99%. In the Sager HM series upgraded with a 7970m, the card performs 99% because of the fact that there isn't even a switcheable system in the HM series. In all instances where Enduro is enabled (iGPU+dGPU simutaneuosly being used/switched between), including Sager/Clevo, Alienware, and HP, there is often extreme underutilization in games. Too bad Clevo decided not to let us disable the iGPU.

From the AMD news release for the 7000m series:

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1686440&highlight

"In addition to AMD Enduro technology, the AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series GPUs are also equipped with AMD power gating technology, which dynamically shuts down portions of the GPU when not in use, powering them back up when workloads increase"

The power gating function is most likely failing hard and wasn't optimized correctly. How it got through testing, I have no idea. I would like to make a suggestion to AMD, some thing that has been repeated many times: PLEASE give us the ability to bypass power gating. However the tech works, it keeps our frame rates down even when we lower game quality settings. I wish it worked because it sounds like an awesome idea. We just want 99% utilization so we can have the highest frame rate possible. We don't need power saving since we all game on AC power anyways. No one games on their laptop battery.

^^this

AMD just has to make 7970m perform at its full potential when it is set to performance mode. then everyones happy.

08/27/2012 03:42 PM

Author Icon
Prasko
n00b

I understand drivers for mobile hardware fall on the vendors. It's been that way for a long time. I understand new hardware always has teething problems.

What I don't understand is why AMD/ATI hasn't publicly acknowledged this or at least made an announcement on here, whether or not they know what the problem is, and if they're working on it.

That's all I want to know before I purchase my next rig. If there's no announcement before I do that, I'm going nvidia. Though I prefer ATI.

08/27/2012 04:42 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

If you read all of this post...you would see AMD's response. Also you can read here...http://twitter.com/catalystcreator

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

08/27/2012 06:50 PM

Author Icon
MeNtAl_DaRkNeSs
n00b

Hi ppl,

Today I had enough of AMD's HD 7970M... I finally traded mine for a new Nvidia GTX680M (4Gb DDR5 version), and now... all my games work, i've more performance with lower temps + better battery life

Shame I had to pay more (a lot more) to finally have a high-end GPU working properly.

I still hope for a fix to HD7970M, and I will continue to follow all the threads related to the issue hoping for good news!

Thank you for all the efforts and please continue to force/demand AMD for a fix,

Best Regards to all

Clevo P150EM
LED 15" LG Philips Matte Full HD | i7 3610QM | 16GB HyperX 1866MHz PNP | OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS(120Gb) + OCZ Agility 3 SSD (240Gb) + OCZ Nocti mSATA SSD (120 GB) | ex-AMD Radeon HD 7970M 1060/1435 2Gb DDR5 | KILLER 1102 Wireless Gaming 802.

08/28/2012 08:15 PM

Author Icon
Prasko
n00b

Originally posted by: stumped If you read all of this post...you would see AMD's response. Also you can read here...http://twitter.com/catalystcreator

One tweet, almost 20 days ago, hardly constitutes as a proper response from a company this large, with a problem this big.

08/28/2012 08:22 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Prasko
Originally posted by: stumped If you read all of this post...you would see AMD's response. Also you can read here...http://twitter.com/catalystcreator

One tweet, almost 20 days ago, hardly constitutes as a proper response from a company this large, with a problem this big.

So I gather you didn't read this post in entirety. Go back a page and read

08/09/2012 03:10 PM
User is offlineI have monitored this thread since it began. I appreciate the efforts of those that have contributed, and those that have posted in this forum in search of additional help or information. While I do not have any solutions to offer at this point in time, I do know that AMD is aware of this issue and is investigating root causes and potential solutions.

;Marc
Marc's reply. I do hope AMD works their fingers to the bone to make you happy. Especially you.

08/28/2012 08:37 PM

Author Icon
Prasko
n00b

Again, almost 20 days ago.

08/28/2012 10:06 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

Again, AMD are aware of the situation and are working on it with the relevant people .. you'll just have to wait, won't you ! .. 20 days is NOTHING in the IT/PC industry.

Myself and loads of others waited months for VBIOSes for our HD3870s .. so did HD4870 users, so did HD58xx series users and there are now HD7xxx cards having newer VBIOSes issued .. we all dealt with it as adults, pretty sure you lot could too.

Funny how people automatically blame party "X" and also think that fix "Y" will only take a day to resolve. Doesn't work like that I'm afraid, never has and probably won't until robots themselves are intelligent enough to build themselves etc ..

Til then, we're on the cusp of modern era technologies, things like this will always happen, they aren't manufacturing a car which has over 100 years of previous experience in that field behind the scenes, eh !!

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

08/28/2012 10:46 PM

Author Icon
Prasko
n00b

The fact remains that AMD/Ati have made no official statement on the matter, outside of one twitter and forum post, pertaining to a problem with their mobile gpu's. *I'm now just finding out it encompasses all of their mobile gpu's that are GCN, and use enduro*

The more I delve into the subject using google, I'm seeing that this has been going on since june. Only now in august is there any form of communication by AMD/Ati.

It isn't the fact that enduro is causing performance issues, it's the fact that AMD/Ati hasn't made an official annoucement on the matter that bothers me. It's on par with slapping loyal customers in the face, most of whom are turning to the competition.

I wouldn't mind waiting for a fix, or even buying a rig with the card tomorrow, but only "IF" they were to make an official annoucement that they are working on the issue. Not through twitter or some buried forum post.

08/29/2012 12:14 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The fact is that AMD has to yet again fix a problem they didn't create and shouldn't have to solve, and seeing as how the OEMs treat AMD like garbage next to their precious Intel, it's going to take a while, so suck it up or go complain to Clevo.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 08/29/2012 12:36 AM

Author Icon
Prasko
n00b

Originally posted by: black_zion The fact is that AMD has to yet again fix a problem they didn't create and shouldn't have to solve, and seeing as how the OEMs treat AMD like garbage next to their precious Intel, it's going to take a while, so suck it up or go complain to Clevo.

I'm sorry, AMD didn't create enduro?

And it's not just clevo, it's all vendors using all GCN cards with enduro enabled, because the problem "IS" enduro.

-edit-

Look, I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I'm just wondering why AMD/Ati hasn't made an official statement on the issue.

I don't own anything by any vendor involved, I am in fact, looking to purchase a laptop very soon.

I "want" the ati card, but without acknowledgment of the issue in the form of an official statement, it's likely I'll go with nvidia, which is a depressing thought.

08/29/2012 10:46 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

This thread has gone astray with offensive language, and has dissolved into unproductive flame-war. It is being locked accordingly.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Statistics
85373 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.