Topic Title: The Clevo 7970M Enduro/under-utilization debacle.
Topic Summary: Part 2
Created On: 09/02/2012 08:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2012 08:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NeoCzar
n00b

So the first thread was locked due to "offensive language". Lets try to keep this one free of trolls and flamers. Here's a link to the old one for reference. http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=445&threadid=160494&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

It's been about a month since we last heard from AMD. There was a tweet by CatalystCreator saying that the issue is being investigated, and a post by Marc@AMD here to the same effect. Both acknowledge that there is an issue obviously.

This is an important issue and affects all GCN/Enduro supported cards, effectively all 7xxxm cards, so I think it's important to keep a thread alive with updates.

So ... what's new on that front Marc? Hope that doesn't constitute an "offensive" question

09/02/2012 12:03 PM

Author Icon
columbosoftserve
Peon

Marc@AMD care to comment on the status of this fix that is being worked on? Alternatively, if you are unable, are you able to point us in the direction of anyone that is able to answer that?

09/02/2012 02:06 PM

Author Icon
littlecx
n00b

here is the crysis 2 video showing sager NP9170 with 7970m inside crapped

http://youtu.be/AijjXy1NPoo

and link to 7970m on clevo P170EM/P150EM logging thread

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/682097-7970m-logging-thread-games-utilization-issues-only-post-logs-no-questions-please.html

-------------------------
 09/03/2012 04:35 PM

Author Icon
powerfull499
n00b

Yes. It would be nice if AMD/Marc could give us an update on the subject with the 7970M... It is really annoying to have card which does not perform as it should. :-(.

09/03/2012 08:31 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

NeoCzar :

The thread was locked for "offensive language". What offensive language? The NBR crowd were driving home the point that a tweet is all we got for a month. Marc (same AMD guy who said issue was being investigated) comes and locks the thread.

What can we realistically do to up the pressure?

I'm starting a new thread on their forum, seeing how I started the first one. Lets try to avoid their resident trolls, specially fretboard.

@NeoCzar ..  Let me shed a bit of light on it then shall I ? You know, just so you don't go making stupid and pathetic comments about people you don't know, which might make you look very stupid in the cold light of day.

1st off - Resident troll ? Yeah right, for what do I merit that, for one simple comment about waiting for them to work on it ? Take it elsewhere mate and at the same time, try to grow up.

2ndly - If you had seen the offensive comments by OMG7970, you'd have understood why the AMD Admins locked the thread and you'd have seen that the "resident trolls" here all reported it so that the whole thing was not just deleted thereby leaving you with no thread at all ( You know, for YOUR benefit, not ours ) ..

Blame user OMG7970 for it, but don't have a go at me ( or target another random person here to vent your anger upon ) just because another idiot from your other forum, with the same cretinous attitude as yourself got your precious thread locked. User OMG7970 was very offensive in his language and even threatened to cut up another user .. take it up with him as he seems that he's just as mature as you seem to be and you'd probably be able to communicate on the same level eh ?

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

09/03/2012 09:18 PM

Author Icon
columbosoftserve
Peon

Well maybe this will gain some traction - 

https://www.facebook.com/Amd7000mEnduroUtilizationAwareness

It's now half a year since this card was released with faulty tech and no public acknowledgement of the issue from AMD. The problem has been identified in all systems using Enduro. This includes manufacturers such as Alienware and HP. All 7000m cards using the iGPU to display its image are affected by this issue, not just the 7970m in Sager/Clevo notebooks. This is AMD's problem as it is their tech. Marc@AMD are we going to see the cure any time soon?

Edited: 09/03/2012 at 09:28 PM by columbosoftserve
 09/13/2012 10:41 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I want to thank all those users that have been patient in this matter, and peristent in providing helpful information and feedback to the community.

We have received some positive news from the Driver Development Team.  A driver is planned to be released in the near future that will provide significant improvements to notebooks enabled with AMD Enduro™ Technology.

Please stay tuned to our support.amd.com site for the driver posting.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

09/13/2012 07:24 PM

Author Icon
TrantaLocked
n00b

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD I want to thank all those users that have been patient in this matter, and peristent in providing helpful information and feedback to the community. We have received some positive news from the Driver Development Team.  A driver is planned to be released in the near future that will provide significant improvements to notebooks enabled with AMD Enduro™ Technology. Please stay tuned to our support.amd.com site for the driver posting. ;Marc

Great news! We appreciate this . I have one peice of info that may help the AMD driver team. It may be relating to GCN in general, not just Enduro enabled cards.

Sleeping Dogs seems to be one of the most affected games. It may be because the game is new and needs patching, but the GTX 675m beats the 7970m when quality settings are lowered (with Enduro enabled of course). I think with maybe a couple other games the 675m beats the 7970m, but when that happens it is obvious some thing is pretty wrong. The results are near the bottom of this page (chart with the green/yellow/red boxes):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Sleeping-Dogs-Benchmarked.81601.0.html

The 7970m gets 30FPS at max while the GTX 675m gets 15FPS at max. Lower settings to high and now the 7970m gets 47FPS while the GTX 675m beats it with a high 54FPS. 

This may be an issue with all desktop and laptop GCN hardware as the records for the HD 7770 desktop also shows a situation where the HD 7770 wins at ultra detail, but then loses by more and more FPS to the GTX 675m as details are lowered. 

In contrast, the AMD Radeon HD 6870 scales BEAUTFIFULLY, making me think this really is a GCN issue. The card even knocks out the GTX 680m at settings of high and under, and FPS increase greatly as settings are lowered. It's FPS at ultra is 23, the same as the GTX 680m. Obviously the HD 6870 is destroying the 7970m, some times by double the frame rates, yet the 7970m is based on a chip technically a bit more powerfull.

Edited: 09/13/2012 at 07:38 PM by TrantaLocked
 09/13/2012 09:07 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: TrantaLocked
Originally posted by: Marc@AMD I want to thank all those users that have been patient in this matter, and peristent in providing helpful information and feedback to the community. We have received some positive news from the Driver Development Team.  A driver is planned to be released in the near future that will provide significant improvements to notebooks enabled with AMD Enduro™ Technology. Please stay tuned to our support.amd.com site for the driver posting. ;Marc

Great news! We appreciate this . I have one peice of info that may help the AMD driver team. It may be relating to GCN in general, not just Enduro enabled cards.

Sleeping Dogs seems to be one of the most affected games. It may be because the game is new and needs patching, but the GTX 675m beats the 7970m when quality settings are lowered (with Enduro enabled of course). I think with maybe a couple other games the 675m beats the 7970m, but when that happens it is obvious some thing is pretty wrong. The results are near the bottom of this page (chart with the green/yellow/red boxes):

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Sleeping-Dogs-Benchmarked.81601.0.html

The 7970m gets 30FPS at max while the GTX 675m gets 15FPS at max. Lower settings to high and now the 7970m gets 47FPS while the GTX 675m beats it with a high 54FPS. 

This may be an issue with all desktop and laptop GCN hardware as the records for the HD 7770 desktop also shows a situation where the HD 7770 wins at ultra detail, but then loses by more and more FPS to the GTX 675m as details are lowered. 

In contrast, the AMD Radeon HD 6870 scales BEAUTFIFULLY, making me think this really is a GCN issue. The card even knocks out the GTX 680m at settings of high and under, and FPS increase greatly as settings are lowered. It's FPS at ultra is 23, the same as the GTX 680m. Obviously the HD 6870 is destroying the 7970m, some times by double the frame rates, yet the 7970m is based on a chip technically a bit more powerfull.

Here is another benchmark > http://benchmark3d.com/sleeping-dogs-benchmark

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

09/14/2012 09:35 PM

Author Icon
bn880
Peon

Glad to hear it, watching this very carefully.  My 7970M is performing at about 1/3rd the capacity in most titles like DCS World and Arma2 etc.  Apparently the 12.9 driver isn't it yet.  Still slow.

09/16/2012 11:41 AM

Author Icon
hajen
n00b

I sure hope there will be an update soon. Where sould we look for new drivers ? i mean just as soon as they are there

09/16/2012 10:28 PM

Author Icon
TrantaLocked
n00b

Marc, some thing was posted on notebookreview recently. This may help:

"How bad the audio in the EM series are

How much they want to trade in the 7970M for a 680M
bla bla bla

But most importantly a guy who claims to have some breakthrough with the Enduro problems. It involves changing the EnableULPS in the registry of Windows. I have know idea what ULPS is, but it involves with messing with the power management so that you somehow disable Enduro functions and that the 7970M is always active in 2D mode, aka in the desktop, when browsing the internet etc.

Its a bad translation from google, but the steps are something like this:

1. Go in to Windows safe mode (press and hold F8 during bootup with his machine)
2. Hit the windows button, insert "regedit" to enter the registry
3. Find EnableULPS there 
4. Disable it by changing its value from "1" to "0"
5. Not shure about this one, but there are 4-5 entries there, and they should all have the value "0" aka disabled
6. Reboot and you are done
(I think they are using the 12.8 driver)

This fix may cause your fan to increase in speed.
Two people have tried it, one didn`t notice anything, still low GPU utilization and FPS, another one had great results
He noted that his GW2 FPS went from 30-35FPS to 36-64FPS"

I have not tried the registry fix, but I hope this helps the team. I like the idea of Enduro, but I think for now if it were possible to set the 7000m card in a fixed, non-enduro mode with the next driver set, that would allow gamers to play with good utilization until the bugs are pulled out of Enduro. Or, I could have no idea what I am talking about. It would be cool if you could ask the driver team if they have found the root problem. I am genuinly interested in learning about this.

Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/687961-there-nothing-wrong-7970m-mxm-8.html

09/16/2012 11:01 PM

Author Icon
fretboard

Originally posted by: TrantaLocked

I have know idea what ULPS is,

ULPS = Ultra Low Power State .. ..

AM3 965BE / Corsair H70 / 4Gb Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair Force3 90Gb / x2 HD3870 Atomic Edition / x4 1Tb Storage & Momentus XT 250Gb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian-Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech KBoard & MX620 / Logitech C525 / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM

09/19/2012 06:01 AM

Author Icon
KyleH334
n00b

Great news!!!!! Please keep us informed when this is to be made available

Intel i7-3720QM

8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600Mhz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 7970M

Arctic MX-4 Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

120GB Intel 330 Series SSD

750GB WD Scorpio Black with 16MB Cache

Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio

Gigabit LAN & Wireless Intel Advanced-N 300Mbps + Bluetooth

09/19/2012 09:48 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

I had to do that reg change to the EnableULPS all the time with my 5970's, it really helps, but it would be really helpful if that was an option within CCC's GUI so that it would do the reg changes for you. 

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/21/2012 06:48 PM

Author Icon
TrantaLocked
n00b

Lol, this issue can be REALLY bad in some games.

I downloaded Saints Row 3 through steam and check out my results:

Ultra settings, 20FPS-40FPS

Lowest settings, 30FPS-50FPS

Vsync is off, resolution at 1920x1080.

Horrible. Almost no scaling. Obviously an issue being caused by the bug. From Ultra to High the FPS gain is like 2-3, and each step adds another couple. 

Edited: 09/21/2012 at 06:54 PM by TrantaLocked
 10/23/2012 06:41 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I wanted to provide an update to this thread now that Catalyst 12.10, and Catalyst 12.11 Beta have been released.  Please read the release notes to both drivers to be sure your particular AMD PowerXpress™ enabled (switchable graphics notebook) is compatible. 

It is also important to note that Catalyst 12.11 Beta is the driver version that introduces substantial performance improvements for AMD Enduro™ Technology supported platforms (specifically, HD7970m)

Catalyst 12.10
> for Mobility Radeon HD7xxxM Series on Win7 64-bit
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

Here is a key exert from the Catalyst 12.10 Release Notes:

AMD Catalyst Mobility support for AMD Enduro™ Technology

AMD Catalyst Mobility now includes support for AMD Enduro™ Technology.   AMD Enduro Technology is currently supported on all notebook Intel® IvyBridge platforms and AMD Comal platforms that support the AMD Radeon HD 7900M, 7800M, 7700M – additional products will be supported in future Catalyst releases.”

AMD Enduro™ Technology for Notebooks delivers:

• Unbeatable battery life
  • GPU accelerated performance for gaming, video, and compute apps
  • A Seamless and automatic experience

New Enduro™ Technology features found in Catalyst 12.10:

• Re-designed Catalyst Control Center user interface
    • View all profiled applications
    • View recently run applications
    • Profile applications based on power source
  • Expert mode control and customization
    • Performance centric AC
    • Battery centric DC

Catalyst 12.11 Beta
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

Here is a key exert from the Catalyst 12.11 Beta release notes:

Resolved issue highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 12.11 Beta

AMD Catalyst Mobility 7970M performance for AMD Enduro™ Technology supported platforms has been substantially improved for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications. An updated driver for 7970M users featuring AMD Enduro™ Technology with additional DirectX 9 performance improvements will be released soon.

• 3DMark Vantage – Up to 15%
  • 3DMark 11 – Up to 12%
  • AvP – Up to 11%
  • Battlefield 3 – Up to 25%
  • Crysis 2: Up to 45%
  • DiRT Showdown – Up to 62%
  • ETQW – Up to 8%
  • Hard Reset – Up to 8%
  • Just Cause 2 – Up to 90%
  • The Chronicles of Riddick – Up to 4%
  • Shogun 2 – Up to 56%
  • Sniper Elite V2 – Up to 60%
  • Tom Clancy’s HAWX – Up to 56%
  • Unigine Heaven – Up to 33%
  • Wolfenstein – Up to 9%

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

10/27/2012 07:51 AM

Author Icon
zaczac
n00b

Thanks for the updates, however I am still getting horrible utilization in guild wars 2, 20%~60% and the frame rate is horrid .. Will more updates be coming out anytime soon?

11/10/2012 05:06 PM

Author Icon
bn880
Peon

So I'm playing Directx 9 titles and this driver doesn't address the performance there whatsoever.  When is the DirectX 9 fix expected to be released?  With 12.11 Release?  Or next major version Beta?

11/18/2012 08:26 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-7970m-enduro-performance-driver

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
84138 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.